Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 10:51   #811

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Now I feel that this thread has gone about as far is it is going to without going down some rabbit hole or another.
Yes I agree. We have discussed all possible angles on the accident and the after effects, as well as the GFM positions. Now I'm just waiting to see the salvage results, ie..keel report.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:51   #812
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
Yes I agree. We have discussed all possible angles on the accident and the after effects, as well as the GFM positions. Now I'm just waiting to see the salvage results, ie..keel report.
melted down for fishing weights
Old 05-03-2018, 14:29   #813

Boat: Volkscruiser

I wonder if the nuts are still on the keel bolts?
Cheers
Old 05-03-2018, 15:29   #814
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I wonder if the nuts are still on the keel bolts?
Cheers
Don't know about that but there are one or two in this thread
Old 05-03-2018, 17:13   #815

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Don't know about that but there are one or two in this thread
No,no,no , the thread goes in the nut, not the other way round.
Old 05-03-2018, 18:15   #816

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
I say be careful how you bundle all the old farts on this forum. You lack wisdom and insight in your stereotypical remarks.
Since when do you have to buy a Lottery ticket to hit the jackpot? We got you without a ticket purchase.
Whoa Thruska; Why do people take offence at every little thing when no offence is intended? Please know that my friends all call me a 'lovable Old Fart' too. The term is used not as an insult, but in the most endearing way. It all depends on how you accept it; but, if it bothers you that much & the cap fits ...
Old 05-03-2018, 19:32   #817
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
my friends all call me a 'lovable Old Fart' too. The term is used not as an insult, but in the most endearing way.
I thought an "old fart" was a .... bad smell .... lovable? endearing ?
Old 05-03-2018, 21:37   #818

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I thought an "old fart" was a .... bad smell .... lovable? endearing ?
There's an old saying where I come from that "every new bride quickly learns not to pull the bed covers over her head" ...
Old 20-03-2018, 03:08   #819
cxz

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31
pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post
Too bad. Sad story indeed.

But it makes me want to tip my hat to those of us out here that worked for decades, handled multiple "life challenges" with no help from anyone, raised kids, sent them to college, scrimped and saved, (our own $$, not go fund me, crowd funding, patreon, etc.), and finally... finally got to go have our dream.

Sorry for these kids. (yes, kids at 26 & 24) But that seems to be the "new normal" today. Don't want to pay your dues in the rat race? Life too hard? OK, just buy an old boat, van, etc. Then set up a "gimme money" account, go on YouTube and be supported by others.

Cheers to us of any age that are doing it on our own dollars. Not begging for donations. And were fully prepared for all outcomes before we cast off the dock lines.

And before any of you "snowflakes" out their want to bash my comments... I will be the first to throw these "kids" some cash if you point me to their "help me please" page.
What a load of tripe, mate. I'm 27 myself and have dreams of cruising too just like the rest of the community. I'm learning how to sail, going on courses and gathering as much research as I possibly can which funnily enough also consists of learning from experienced sailors and boaters in my area and learning from YouTube.

It's not a 'donation' when it's effectively paid tuition - the same which you probably got at a reduced cost when times were altogether *not* rat-like in the slightest. Get over yourself and cheer on the underdog, they'll be the ones looking after you on your deathbed and keeping the human spirit and dream alive. If you were in our position you'd do exactly the same. The human genome doesn't significantly change from one generation to the next. Same can't be said for the current environment which our children have to grow up in.

I actually ended up on this thread after trying to do some research on boat insurance and look what I found! You geezers seem to claim that the youth are over-entitled...just check out your own comment. Pot calling the kettle black! Unbelievable.
Old 20-03-2018, 03:39   #820

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Whoa Thruska; Why do people take offence at every little thing when no offence is intended? Please know that my friends all call me a 'lovable Old Fart' too. The term is used not as an insult, but in the most endearing way. It all depends on how you accept it; but, if it bothers you that much & the cap fits ...
You stated ALL the old farts that are angry....
I merely felt I was not one of those angry old farts you might have been referring to, and did not feel you should bundle up all the old farts into your little ball of judgement.
I’m not pissed off and my comments in the thread I believe have not indicated that demeanor.
Now I’m guessing you might not be old , so can I refer to you as a fart blossom?
Of course in an endearing manner, lol.
Why would all you fart blossoms think I was offended? Fair enough ?
Old 20-03-2018, 04:01   #821

Boat: no boat any more

"...they'll be the ones looking after you on your deathbed..."
sure, mate! 2 nohopers with 90 bucks between themselves wrecking their boat at the first opportunity & needing to be bailed out by others. some "looking after" that'll be...
Old 20-03-2018, 10:45   #822

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxz View Post
What a load of tripe, mate. I'm 27 myself and have dreams of cruising too just like the rest of the community. I'm learning how to sail, going on courses and gathering as much research as I possibly can which funnily enough also consists of learning from experienced sailors and boaters in my area and learning from YouTube.

It's not a 'donation' when it's effectively paid tuition - the same which you probably got at a reduced cost when times were altogether *not* rat-like in the slightest. Get over yourself and cheer on the underdog, they'll be the ones looking after you on your deathbed and keeping the human spirit and dream alive. If you were in our position you'd do exactly the same. The human genome doesn't significantly change from one generation to the next. Same can't be said for the current environment which our children have to grow up in.

I actually ended up on this thread after trying to do some research on boat insurance and look what I found! You geezers seem to claim that the youth are over-entitled...just check out your own comment. Pot calling the kettle black! Unbelievable.
I'm not sure when being a self absorbed, take no responsibility beggar became an underdog, but certainly for me not someone that I am going to cheer on.

Good on you for making the effort to learn to sail prior to setting off on your cruising dream. I'm sure you will do great, meet a lot of awesome fellow cruisers, help those that could use a hand and get helped when you can use a hand as well.

One of the rules that I live by is that there is a big difference between a "hand up" and a "hand out". This couple has yet to figure that out.
Old 20-03-2018, 14:53   #823

Quote:
"Who the hell leaves on ANY extended trip with only $90?"you ask? For starters, my wife and I left our home in England/Ireland and paid our own fares to Canada on 'Holland America's S.S. Ryndam'. We experienced two major north Atlantic storms during the voyage; the 'Ryndam' was the smallest passenger liner plying the North Atlantic that February of 1958. We treated the seven day voyage as our delayed honeymoon, because we were unable to afford one at the time of our marriage; and because we paid our own way, we were assigned to the First Mate's table for dinner; quite an honour in those days. My wife was just 23, whilst I celebrated my 25th on the day we disembarked. Arriving in Halifax, NS, we travelled by train to Ottawa, arriving 2am the following day with exactly $90 Canadian money remaining between the two of us.
We had no jobs, and no prospects. We knew of only one person ... an old school friend of my father-in-law who generously provided us food and accommodations for a short period of time; I found a job the following week, and we rented a basement apartment the week after that. It was a big struggle for us at the time, but we have never looked back.

I should mention the majority of immigrants travelled with Government loans or even paid in full by the Government. We have always paid our own way, as we did for our travels to "the new country"; we do not begrudge younger folk today who have created this new way to help them achieve their goals. Yes, it's called 'Go Fund Me' and it helps not only the young people, but quite a few older folk who have run into bad luck.

With regard to the young couple under discussion, maybe the act of donating an old Cheoy Lee did the Doctor a favour. He was past his sailing days and was only hanging on to it as a 'keepsake' by the sound of it; he realised it was time to dispose of it and likely discovered it was going to be very costly to get rid of it one way or another. Donating it to this young couple gave him a sense of "feel good" because, he will sail along with them in his dreams. I would imagine if they do go cruising, they will keep him informed of their travels. Good luck to them, I hope they realise their dream.

There are people in this world who would rather donate a boat to what they see as a worthy cause rather than sell to some miserly old fart who is unwilling to pay a fair asking price for their dream boat. I happen to be just one of those people.
Interesting, you made the same journey from UK to Canada the same year I did. In 1958. It's now 2018. How much do you suppose your 1958 $90 is worth in 2018 funds? $90 in 2018 is worth 3 nights on a mooring at the yacht club near me, and it's a very affordable place. It's not Key West...
Old 20-03-2018, 15:24   #824

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxz View Post
It's not a 'donation' when it's effectively paid tuition - the same which you probably got at a reduced cost when times were altogether *not* rat-like in the slightest.
You are not the first to complain about high tuition in your generation. It's quite an interesting subject to me, with my kids currently in college.

As far as I have read, the cost of college (in the US anyway) has more than doubled since the 1980s, even after normalizing for inflation. Why? The consensus seems to be simple supply and demand. Mainly, government-subsidized cheap loans (Stafford) starting in the 1990's led to this increase. In 1980 only 50% of high school grads attended college, compared to 70% today. Enrollments have doubled in a generation, yet public university funding has been roughly constant overall, and that simple math means it decreased significantly PER student.

Higher demand, tight supply, less public money per student... means MUCH higher tuition: roughly double what the last generation payed, (after adjusting for inflation). Is this fair to you indignant 27 year olds? Maybe not, but 60% MORE of your generation attended college than did mine. THIS is the reason you had to pay double what I did, Mr. cxz. Perhaps trade school or honest blue-collar work would have been the better choice for many of your generation? I don't mean that to sound harsh, but we really need welders and machinists, etc.

Finally, and this horse was already beaten, I don't have a problem with people giving money to the couple who lost their boat. Just don't assume that the geezers all had it easy. (FYI, any school loan I could find back then was 13%, yours? 4%)

Oh, and +1 for "geezer", because you cannot say that without grinning.
Old 20-03-2018, 18:41   #825
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Putting it in perspective...$90 in 1958? Well, in 1974 $100 US would still buy you one month in a one bedroom furnished apartment in a second or third tier city in much of the US. Today, that same apartment would run you about $1400 UNfurnished in the same places. An online inflation calculator says that dollar is worth about $8.80 today, making $90 worth nearly $800, but that's based on a very arbitrary "basket".

So let's just say, $90 back in 1958 would be at least a thousand dollars here and now today. A slice of pizza has gone from what, a nickel to $2.50? Gasoline, 14 cents? to $3.50?

Of course the price of color TV's and electronics has plummeted. I heard that even private citizens in the US can afford to own multiple supercomputers these days!
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size