Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 07:13   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
John,

A better option would be to quote a small excerpt in a post on SSCA and link to this thread, just as you and many others have done in the reverse direction (CF=>SSCA).
Old 07-09-2010, 07:53   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Evans,
Although I'm not suicidal, I'm sort-of old school, in that I assume that whatever troubles I get into out there, myself and crew better be able to fix ourselves,

That's exactly what the USCG thought was prudent seamanship. I was impressed by their blunt and honest assessment - a true grasp of the real world - language difficulties and people screwing up. and what they called 'the tyranny of distance' (eg the further you are the exponentially more difficult the rescue).

I was wondering if I could quote you and "repost" (in its entirety) what you wrote here
Sure. Everything I write on the forums I expect is public. But particularily this is 'public service' information.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 23:16   #18

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Ahoy John, you should private message that poster and ask their permission, I have no problem with it!
Keith.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:33   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
I am keen to know if the aussies get to know at all about the "activation" or is it dealt with entirely by the Indonesians?

I have spoken to AMSA about this and they were not very informative!
Yes the Australian RCC (AMSA) would know of an activation of an Aussie registered beacon.

Once the location was known to be in the Indon zone, they would handball the SAR phase over to the Indons.

After that - who knows.... maybe AMSA monitor the outcome, maybe not. I believe (but don't know) that AMSA would contact the principle contacts on their database (relating to the beacon registration) after receiving the activation status of the beacon and before moving into the SAR phase.

I am surprised that AMSA was not helpful, my dealing with them have always been positive. If I get a chance, I will ask the local SAR guys in Perth for their informal feedback re your original question.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:57   #20

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Thanks wotname. I was speaking to their east coast ofiice by phone from Indonesia and they did not give out many details except to say that the Indonesians would handle any rescue attempts. I would be grateful if I knew that they would contact the people registered on the beacon and inform them of the activation, I don't carry a satphone.

Do they become aware of the activation automatically, or do the Indonesians tell them, or do they tell the Indonesians?

I realize that it is up to me stay out of trouble and make sure that I can get myself out of any trouble I find myself in. It has worked so far.
Cheers from Keith.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:43   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post

Do they become aware of the activation automatically, or do the Indonesians tell them, or do they tell the Indonesians?

The Australians will know first, automatically.

If your epirb is registered in Australia, then that is where the signal is first routed. They will call the people listed on your registration and try to learn if this is a 'real' or a 'false' emergency (97% of even the 406mhz signals are false). If they think its 'real' they will then tell the Indonesian RCC (or wherever the signal is coming from) about the signal and that an SAR is needed.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:18   #22

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Although not specific to Indonesia, we posted some good info a while back on what happens when you activate your EPIRB by Ryan Erickson of the US Coast Guard.
http://tinyurl.com/32bdnhj
Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 11:26   #23

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Activating EPIRB - Chain of Events that Actually Occurs in Indonesian Waters ?

With all the talk of EPIRB's in the recent thread regarding the tragedy of the father and 3 teenagers lost just a couple dozen miles offshore SW Florida, in the Gulf of Mexico...I thought some might wish to learn more about EPIRB's, PLB's, etc...
And, more importantly, how they (and the COSPAS-SARSAT system) work!!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-146617.html

Yes, this thread here is about 6 years old....but unfortunately, the "chain of events" in 3rd world areas hasn't improved...

And, while this isn't specifically applicable to everyone (and especially not to most of those recently discussing the tragedy of the father and 3 teenagers lost off the SW Florida coast), it does everyone some good to know that setting off an EPIRB isn't like calling 911 or 999....and in many parts of the world, use of an EPIRB alone still won't get you a SAR response!!

Please read this thread here for LOTS of details and more up-to-date info!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-146617.html

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb