Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2007, 11:23   #1

Boat: hope to be a Power Catamaran Cruiser as soon as we can swing it
Waves of sand (what did you say ???)

Greetings from Pahrump Nevada,

You ask where is Pahrump Nevada, well its about 75 miles west of Las Vegas and none to close to the ocean.

We are both Pices and have a natural draw to the water. We are full time RV'rs and love it but have begun the transition to wanting to be full time cruisers.

It all started to change about two years ago, while in Georgia visiting family, and traveling up and down to FL to visit friends.

We started out thinking that we'd get a house boat and do the lake thing..but that soon changed and we then thought that we'd do the houseboat on the ICW, when after some extensive looking and found that there weren't really any viable "houseboats" for that purpose..

With that, we moved on to the thoughts that we might as well go for the full LA thing as that was where we were headed eventually. In our research we have become fully enamored with the FP Power Cats, especially the Queensland 60, and thier 44' also.

I've owned the gamut from the 20' 800hp, pickle fork ski boat capable of 100mph and thru to a 36' Chris Cruiser on Lake Mead.

I've also spent 19 seasons fishing out of Kodiak AK for crab, halibut, pollock, salmon and so on... spending the rest of the year bending nails in the desert heat of Las Vegas.

Nancy, spent 30+ years Ice Skating Professionally, with Ice Capades and then later iwth a partner she travelled the world doing thier Adagio act, roller skating, magic, dance, and her own Mime Musical Doll.

Weve lurked here and on other forums for better than a couple of years and finally decided to join here and become a small part of this fine forum.

Were not the sail kind of cruisers, as we haven't done that and think that the work required is more than we want to deal with... so Power seems our option.,

Were more interested in the journey than the destination.

We plan to full time on the cruiser, so the Cat is the boat style for us..

Thank You for all your great post and information, we hope to some day change or profile to include our own "SV ?" but untill then, we will live vicariously thr your travels and stories.

Regards, Walter, Nancy and our parrott Petee (hey, all good sailors have a parrott don't they ?
Desert Sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 12:32   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard, Desert Sailors . . .

When I first saw your handle, I immediately pictured one of those three-wheeled rail jobs (like an ice boat) flying across the Mojave Desert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Sailors
Greetings from Pahrump Nevada,

You ask where is Pahrump Nevada, well its about 75 miles west of Las Vegas and none to close to the ocean.

We are both Pices and have a natural draw to the water. We are full time RV'rs and love it but have begun the transition to wanting to be full time cruisers.

It all started to change about two years ago, while in Georgia visiting family, and traveling up and down to FL to visit friends.

We started out thinking that we'd get a house boat and do the lake thing..but that soon changed and we then thought that we'd do the houseboat on the ICW, when after some extensive looking and found that there weren't really any viable "houseboats" for that purpose..

With that, we moved on to the thoughts that we might as well go for the full LA thing as that was where we were headed eventually. In our research we have become fully enamored with the FP Power Cats, especially the Queensland 60, and thier 44' also.

I've owned the gamut from the 20' 800hp, pickle fork ski boat capable of 100mph and thru to a 36' Chris Cruiser on Lake Mead.

I've also spent 19 seasons fishing out of Kodiak AK for crab, halibut, pollock, salmon and so on... spending the rest of the year bending nails in the desert heat of Las Vegas.

Nancy, spent 30+ years Ice Skating Professionally, with Ice Capades and then later iwth a partner she travelled the world doing thier Adagio act, roller skating, magic, dance, and her own Mime Musical Doll.

Weve lurked here and on other forums for better than a couple of years and finally decided to join here and become a small part of this fine forum.

Were not the sail kind of cruisers, as we haven't done that and think that the work required is more than we want to deal with... so Power seems our option.,

Were more interested in the journey than the destination.

We plan to full time on the cruiser, so the Cat is the boat style for us..

Thank You for all your great post and information, we hope to some day change or profile to include our own "SV ?" but untill then, we will live vicariously thr your travels and stories.

Regards, Walter, Nancy and our parrott Petee (hey, all good sailors have a parrott don't they ?
I note your unfortunate location in Pahrump . . . I spent a week there one day. You have my deepest sympathy.

I met a couple once who full-timed in a beautiful class A motorhome, and, as happens so often, we got to talking about boats. They, too, felt drawn to the water. They loved their motorhome and wouldn't think of getting rid of it, but they couldn't afford the equivalent type of thing in a yacht, they said, if they kept it.

The husband, however, thought he had arrived at a brilliant solution. He would get a big raft-like barge (like they build "houseboats" on), engineer some type of heavy-duty ramp arrangement, and they could enjoy the best of both worlds by driving their coach aboard and then "going cruising." Yes, he was serious.

When I told him that while his coach would probably last a hundred years in Phoenix (or Pahrump, for that matter), it wouldn't last six months in a harsh marine environment, he changed his mind. He seemed pretty disappointed.

I had asked him where he intended to "sail" his "yacht," and he said, "Oh, nowhere like the Bahamas. We'll just cruise up and down the Intracoastal Waterway."

If you do find a power cat that suits your needs, I'm sure you will be happy and excited, but it won't be an "s/v," I'm afraid, as that refers to a sailing vessel. It will be an "m/v" (motor vessel).

And I have to ask - what is your definition of "the full LA thing?" I can think of many, I suppose, but I'd be interested in hearing your's.

Best of luck in your quest. Live your dream . . .

TaoJones
Old 17-04-2007, 12:33   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Walter and Nancy,
Welcome aboard!! You'll love the forum for its opinionated dialogue. Your desires of power and catamaran are foreign to me but I'm certain there will be others who respond to your meets and greets who are like minded with you.
S/V stands for Sailing Vessel.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 12:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I've never been to Pahrump, Nevada but have been spent a few days in Death Valley one late winter years ago. Sailing would be quite poor I'm quite sure. Too bad as there are some attractive properties to the place.

Lots of variety here and you'll find all sorts of good info about places, journeys, and the destinations. It may not be the most important asspect but when you get to a destination some prior info always saves hassles. We have all types of boats as well personalities to match. I'm sure you'll find something to interest your plans.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 14:55   #5

Waves of Sand, Thank You

Thank You Pblais,
and, Yes, we do have those that have thier boats on the ready (actually there are a couple that actually have docks/piers in thier back yards, REALLY !) so that when the BIG one takes California into the deep blue and our desert property becomes "WaterFront Property" but short of that, sailing out here is limited, unless you want to travel to Lake Mead or head to the coast.

To SkiprJohn and TaoJones;
I do stand corrected in the "SV" as opposed to the "MV", and can only say that in the writing of the post, I was thinking of this site and the fact that it was mainly sail, and that might explain the error.

To TaoJones;
I can see the thought process and understand the connection to the "land saling" of which I have done, so I guess I'm really not a complete novice in the "Sailing" area.

Were not opposed to sail, just not quite sure that it fits with our skills and cruise, & LA thougts.. but like everything else in the years since I did sail... the technology and gear has changes trememdously and it might yet become an option for us.

To all, Thanks for the warm welcome.

Walter, Nancy & Petee too
Old 17-04-2007, 16:16   #6

Well here is a thought.... Cool Amphibious Manufacturers Ie
Tyrone777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 21:12   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Nancy and Walter,
Look forward to hearing more of your adventures if you do make the transition from tarmac to ocean.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 19-04-2007, 06:09   #8

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone777
Well here is a thought.... Cool Amphibious Manufacturers Ie
Anyone care to calculate the righting moment on that rig? Probably safe up to 5kts apparent before G exceeds M.... or whatever that bad formula was...
Old 19-04-2007, 08:36   #9

You think they have a cruising version, for the Bahamas ? <grin>
Old 19-04-2007, 09:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Sailors
You think they have a cruising version, for the Bahamas ? <grin>
That IS their cruising/bluewater version. Just look at the interior. Looks bluewater ready to me!!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 09:18   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interesting way to blow a lot of $$$ . . .

Regarding the Terra Wind, there is this from the company's press release:

The price tag for the Terra Wind starts in the $850,000 range, a comparable price to recreational vehicles in its class. The only difference is the owner of the Terra Wind gets two vehicles for the price of one, a luxury motor coach and a yacht.

I would love to do business with the fool who thinks this is a reasonable expenditure of his capital.

TaoJones
Old 19-04-2007, 11:05   #12

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I met a guy and his friends who were driving down the ICW a huge WWII landing craft. Absolute monster of a boat, I think they couldn't go over 4 knots as we would passed them more than once going 6 knots. But they got some very well deserved attention and they certainly looked very very happy. I think the big monster had enormous tractor like wheels too.

Does FP make their power cat hulls in two parts which are joined together at the bottom or do they make it from one mold now?
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 14:20   #13

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
I'll take half a dozen of them Always wanted my own fleet of floating condos.

« Helloo0o | Hi all »