Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2005, 13:55   #1

Boat: Bayfield29, 31loa bowsprit
Tiny woman on small yellow boat

Hello to you out there. I'm a newbie to this great site and have learned much just by peeking at all of the posts. Just had to join the fun! I'm a petite girl living on her little yellow Bayfield29 and am near south Florida at the moment. (any other Bayfields out there?) It's chilly, but not as cold as my old sailing haunts in the Great Lakes.
Okay, that done, I'm going to peek around here some more and find some tips on the usual boat stuff...
Thankyou for making this useful site what it is!
Rebecca
s/vAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 16:42   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Greetings earthling! Welcome aboard! Jojnt the manic crew...swab the poop or something
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 16:58   #3
Kai Nui

Yea, I've heard its been REALLY cold down there. Something like mid 50's
Welcome aboard.
Old 22-12-2005, 20:18   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I'm a petite girl living on her little yellow Bayfield29 and am near south Florida at the moment
Hmm, why so petite?

I am a big, fat and ugly guy, not living on my 33' foot boat in South East Florida, at least not for now.

Looking for a petite girl on a little yellow boat....
Old 22-12-2005, 20:58   #5

Greetings

Greetings Rebecca.

You are now a member of the infamous crusiersforum. This is where the real answers are.

Yeah, I hear that the east coast got a cold blast. I live in Arizona. So I don't have to worry about shoveling stupid snow. I'm no stranger to snow. Or the below zero temperatures.

Glad to have you on board. Feel free to write anything that you might have dogging your mind. And find the answers for youself, could be found here in this forum?

Good day/evening.

CaptainK
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 22:08   #6
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
"Swab the poop" Weyalan
Forgive him Angel, he's Australian
Welcome, I'm pretty new here myself and have gained immeasurable wealth from this site.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005, 06:10   #7

Thank you for the warm welcome! I figure in mentioning the "petite girl" thing, I hope to inspire more young girls and women to get into sailing. Maybe if they see someone as little as me doing it, then they can do it too. (The young girls I used to work with at the waterfront would always have the impression that you have to be like a football player in order to sail!) I also have a slight disability and still, that doesn't stop me from cruising- I just do it at a slower pace and have customized my boat. If I can do it, anyone can
So, anyone little or young or elder or disabled, can follow their dreams in life. If I can inspire others to do so, it's a win-win situation. Reach for the stars!

Yes- I've swabbed the poop. (bird poop that is) Me thinks I should look for the posts where they talk about keeping seabirds off one's dinghy!

luv, Rebecca
Old 25-12-2005, 18:55   #8
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Too many beers last night, should not be posting stuff then...
Old 26-12-2005, 04:08   #9

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
There is always room

for dreams and inspiration on this board. As for CSY Man - "big, fat and ugly guy, not living on my 33' foot boat in South East Florida" - he failed to mention old and crochety.
Welcome aboard.

Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2005, 05:03   #10

Boat: Ensenada 20
Welcome Rebecca!

From the partial picture, it looks like you have a very nice boat. I like the yellow!

If you don't mind sharing, I'm always curious as to how live-aboard cruisers were able to achieve the finiancial ability to do it, and how it's going for them????????????????

Thanks!

Bob
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005, 07:31   #11

Boat: Pearson 365- Trident
Welcome Rebecca! Glad to meet you.

Like Lightfin, I too am interested in how people have made the transition. I sold my house last year along with most of my furniture, gave some away and gave tons of clothes and items to Goodwill to move aboard my dream. So far, the best decision of my life.

Talk to you soon,

Wiz
SailWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005, 18:48   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Rebecca,

Wecome aboard! Being petite does have it's down falls. I having to install a hydraulic steering system just so my wife can join in on the fun. Being pinned between the tiller and bulwark was not a fun thing for her.

So now, she'll be able to yell out the orders from the helm

Anyway, glad you're here, there's lots to learn and share..............._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:53   #13

Boat: Gulfstar Sailmaster 39 Freespirit
Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Brancato
Tiny woman on yellow boat

Hi Rebecca
Nice to hear you do what you do GREAT . I am disabled to a degree also had eight operations on my arms shoulders hands and sport a back with two bad disc . I also sail mostly alone sometimes with my daughter 4' 9 '' shes wonderful but mostly I sail alone wife don't like boats she likes the mall go figure . I lived on a Cuban hull gaff head sloop and get this 24 ' for almost four yrs , oh to be nineteen again . Love your boat from what I see its got great lines and love to see the ladies enjoy. By the way what kind of bo- Bo's have you ? May you be blessed with fair winds.
Joseph Brancato
Gulfstar Sailmaster 39
S/V Free Spirit
Joseph Brancato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 06:37   #14

That is a good question and I forgot to share what my "boo-boos" were. It's mostly alot of pain management to deal with a degenerated upper spine. Odd thing is that it doesn't get in the way when I haul in my anchors (by hand), but I do proceed at a slower pace and avoid rough weather when possible. I do sail slow and having an easy-going cruiser really helps. Angel is very good to me, if that makes any sense. To see more of her, there are lots of pics on the last page of www.artoffshore.com
Thank you for sharing your inspiring story. This shows that you can't let anything stop you from walking your life's path and doing what is meaningful to you.
Rebecca
Old 05-03-2006, 17:01   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Reducing Bird Droppings

Rebecca,

A couple of years ago in a marina in Seattle, I was busily scrubbing bird poop off the considerable topside area of my catamaran for the third time that weekend when a helpful mate (Aussie or Kiwi, judging from his accent) strolling along the dock suggested stringing fishing line slightly above the spreaders. We did that straight away and had significantly less scrubbing to do thereafter. Apparently the line messes up the sea gulls when they come in for a landing so they go find an easier target.

Welcome to the Forum and best of luck cruising!

John
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote