Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 13:55   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Should I join a yacht club

Hi, Mr. Davies,

We have some Australian yachtie friends who joined your CA. The vessel name is Crystal Blues, and you can contact them through their blog, which you can find by Googling on the boat name. They are quite forthcoming, and you might find their take on it interesting.

Ann
Old 01-03-2018, 14:17   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW: We have been full time cruising for over 30 years. We've been to a lot of places where there were local yacht clubs. In all cases save one "royal" club in Auckland we have been made most welcome, despite the lack of any YC membership on our part. Once out in the real cruising world, club membership is of little use in our experience... which has all been in the Pacific. Other venues we have no experience with and will not comment upon.

Jim

PS When we were still in the USA and racing, we did belong to a club as it was required for qualifying to race. That club did not have a "off cruising" membership available so we dropped it... and have never regretted that act.
Old 01-03-2018, 14:27   #18

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

I am just a newbie, too, and I am not joining a yacht club my first season and the reason why is that I don't know anything about the different yacht clubs right now and there are at least 10 in my area (Boston). So, I want to get some experience boating first and meeting people before making a major decision like joining a club. Some of the clubs here are expensive and have long wait lists, so it is not something to be done lightly.

After I have a season or two of experience boating, I will have more knowledge about what club might be right for me.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 14:32   #19

with your plans, YES join a club. Be picky as clubs (their members and shared goals) vary widely. At the right club you will have the opportunity to (be invited) to sail on many types of boats, under different conditions and with different types of crew and captain. You will find shared experience not just advice, from people who are on the water and have been for most of their lives. You will hear all manner of stories and ********, and quickly plug in to the global network of "every sailor together and every sailor for themselves" Suggest you find a club that does stuff at a low to mid level ACTIVELY. The breadth of membership becomes its own strength and the fees remain reasonable. Avoid any club with a large portrait of the current commodore resplendent in gold braid adorned blazers.
You question suggests you will be welcomed with open arms at the right clubs for you.
ps: most UK insurance positively reward members of a yacht club > you are perceived as more involved, caring, knowledgeable and less "dangerously solo / maverick".
2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 16:32   #20

I joined a small club, operated on a shoe string budget. The club house was a 12 foot gazebo on a platform, BYOB, no restaurant, no bar. No full time staff. About 40 members/volunteers. The total lack of snobbery was great, assistance ranged from advice, small parts/materials to labour both on the hard and once splashed and was invaluable. As was cruising company as a newbie for a 3 day jaunt. I can't say if you should or shouldn't join a club. But as someone said, if you do then shop about for one that best suits your needs, they vary widely, I have a choice of 6 in my area. Biggest has the word Royal in front of it, has full services, docking for all members boats etc and a great club house as befitting it's 100 year history. More than I could ever need, use or afford.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 18:41   #21
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Never been a YC member but visited the YC in St. Croix a few times. Fairly casual and a good view of the ocean.
Last month I had business in the neighborhood of Fort Lauderdale YC. Went inside and looked around. BIG facility and fancy. Asked how much to join and was told $12k plus the monthly fee. Decided to spend the money on my boat and on trips to the Exumas instead.

Tags
yacht