Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 17:04   #1

New to Cruisers Forum

Hi Everyone,
While I'm a newbie to sites such as Cruisers Forum my husband and I been living aboard a 1979 41" Morgan OI for the past 33 years. We loved living aboard and cruising the eastern seaboard and the Bahamas. However, unfortunately with my husband's health we have been tied to a dock for the past 2 years. While we started life aboard in New Jersey, I'm happy to say we've been living in sunny Florida for the past 24 years. Sad to say it is now time to bid the good life aboard our boat goodbye and settle on land.
Anyone who has moved from either a boat or a house after 33 years knows what a job it is. I can't believe all the nooks and crannies that we had filled with assorted goodies. I never thought I'd stop taking things off the boat. The lesson learned is stop being such a hoarder of "I might need it" as we settle into life ashore.
Not sure how good the market it is for selling Morgans but I thought I'd try on my own before handing it over to a broker. That 10% commission is a killer!
Anyone who has words of advice from which I might benefit will be greatly appreciated.
Wishing all of you safe passage on all your trips.
Donna K
rdmorgan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:31   #2

Re: New to Cruisers Forum

Hi...New to the board as well as sailing. My 473 beneteau is in the Berry Islands and I will be underway to Key West next week.Looking for suggestions for a sail plan...Day sail only.

dlr957
Dlr957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New to Cruisers Forum

Hi Donna...
Welcome to CF... sorry to hear its as a result of having to give up the 'Good life'..
Good luck with the move and hope the sale of your Morgan OI is swift and trouble free...
Have a grand 2012..

Oh... forgot.. a coupla pic's interior/exterior.. a brief inventory and the price usually leads to the least wisecracks...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Donna K and dlr957.

What Boatman said.
You can place a classified ad' here ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f64/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:07   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum Donna. I'm sure you have wonderful memories from 33 years on the water. I hope you'll visit here often with your knowledge. I have sold my former boats on local boating magazines and also craigslist. Both with good results. Be prepared though...you get all types. Never give out your address to anyone unless they're bringing a check over to you...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 17:08   #6

Thanks to all who replied. Thought about Craigslist but have been reluctant. I've had success selling small items but I worry about the people who are just curious and not serious about buying a boat. I'll keep it as an option.
Donna
rdmorgan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 17:25   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmorgan41 View Post
Thanks to all who replied. Thought about Craigslist but have been reluctant. I've had success selling small items but I worry about the people who are just curious and not serious about buying a boat. I'll keep it as an option.
Donna

The apprehension is good. I did have one guy over here that was posing as a PhD. and was spewing a load of BS about boats and trying to have me sell one of mine for 1/2 price. When I asked him to go away, he became very belligerent. You're also right that you get a lot of Looky-lou's. I must have showed my boat 40 times. I will add that my boat needed some work and I explained that but they are always looking for something for nothing I guess. Finally the right guy came along. So yes, it takes a little work.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 23:04   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Sorry to hear of your husband's health.
Wow, I'll bet you have a lot of things to remove from the boat after so much time living aboard. If you were moving from a home to a boat you'd have lots more bigger things though.
Good luck in the sale of your vessel. The boat market is quite low now but so is the housing market and Florida seems to be the place to buy bargain boats. I hope you can find a buyer who can give you what you need to make it profitable.
kind regards,
Old 06-01-2012, 09:15   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

G'day Donna,
You must have a stack of great memories to take ashore with you - it happens to everyone eventually - but best done like you are, under your own terms.
Good luck with hubbys health. It's great to have you on the site - and look forward to seeing you pass out some solid advice to others just starting out.
Take care.
JOHN