Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2010, 23:39   #16

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
When we sailed around the world, nurses from the US found jobs in American Samoa, New Zealand, Australia, and the Middle East. I don't know about other locations.

I don't believe I would have your husband take the course of study because in most locations, the only way he will be able to work is illegally. Most of those skills are also present in the local economies, and they don't want the competion from yachties. Those skill would be worthwhile for maintaining your own yacht, but I don't think he will make much money working on other yachts. Yachties as a group don't like to pay for work done by other yachties. They are more interested in swapping and just helping each other out.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 23:56   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
When we sailed around the world, nurses from the US found jobs in American Samoa, New Zealand, Australia, and the Middle East. I don't know about other locations.

I don't believe I would have your husband take the course of study because in most locations, the only way he will be able to work is illegally. Most of those skills are also present in the local economies, and they don't want the competion from yachties. Those skill would be worthwhile for maintaining your own yacht, but I don't think he will make much money working on other yachts. Yachties as a group don't like to pay for work done by other yachties. They are more interested in swapping and just helping each other out.
This is certainly true here in Thailand. Plus, you have a language problem if you venture to any non-English speaking countries. Hard to work on something if you don't speak the language.
Old 22-08-2010, 15:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Bob Perry has a rendezvous coming up soon and is very accessible, so if you ever have an excuse to go to the PNW you could have fun with those folks.
PNW? I'm sure I should know what this is- but do not.
Erin's Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 22:24   #19

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Sorry, PNW is Pacific Northwest, in this base between Seattle and Anacortes.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 12:53   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. May I suggest something 36 and under? I've sailed on and owned boats 55 and under and find those between 32 and 36 to be the easiest to handle and least expensive to operate and moor. Just a thought!
Kind regards,
Old 30-08-2010, 13:07   #21

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
Buying the Farm

[QUOTE=maxingout;506730] the only way he will be able to work is illegally. Most of those skills are also present in the local economies, and they don't want the competion from yachties. Those skill would be worthwhile for maintaining your own yacht, but I don't think he will make much money working on other yachts. QUOTE]

I agree that you probably won't be able to cruise and work making enough money to buy a land-based retirement; just save a lot of money with those skills on your own boat, and make some beer money from other cruisers, under the table only. Local competition and licensing fees will likely prevent any meaningful income without staying in a single location for quite a while.

It still might be a valid plan if you find a location you want to stay in for a year or two and they are willing to pay the permit fees to hire someone. The tropical scuba locations are always looking for compressor mechanics, too. It all depends if your husband wants to spend days under a compressor/diesel engine/refrigerator in order to get the sunset. Good Luck!
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote