Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2009, 19:04   #1

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA
Howdy from New Zealand

Hi there folks

Another kiwi couple here. We're seriously looking at buying a blue water cruising yacht with the aim of taking off around the Pacific and eventually circumnavigate in a few years time.

Reading this forum and learning heaps and sharing what we know where we can.

We don't currently have a yacht, but we're working on it.
Knowazark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 19:37   #2

Boat: Buizen 48
Welcome, where in NZ are you located?

William
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 19:38   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'
Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of ideas here, some of them good.
Old 23-06-2009, 19:56   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Noah,
Welcome aboard! Hope you can find lots of good information here. I certainly have.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 20:01   #5

We're in Auckland ... well, actually we live just north and west of Auckland on a lifestyle block and we're looking at trading the land-based "good life" for a life on the ocean wave .... eventually.

A change in priorities, interests and circumstances.

It sounds like another couple who are all starry-eyed and wanting to sail the world without any experience, but I grew up in a sailing family, raced sailing dinghies as a child, crewed on keelers for many years, helped build a 28' keeler, played with power boats and have generally mucked about in or near the sea for most of my life. I'm also a qualified marine biologist.

My wife doesn't have that much experience with sailing and life at sea, but she loves fishing, is smart and very keen to learn.
Old 23-06-2009, 20:49   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum
If there is one thing we all understand here is the call of the sea. Get ready, boat buying is an adventure in itself
Cheers,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 16:06   #7

"The call of the sea" is something I never understood when I was younger. I was sailing most weekends and/or racing during the week, there was always maintenance or other boat related work going on ... I really took it all for granted.

I'm discovering now that I'm paying the price for ignoring the call ..... its biting .... hard! All I can think about is sailing now ... potential boats to buy, provisioning issues, potential destinations, safety, gear, ways to earn money while cruising, battery charging, navigation, etc, etc.

Its a sickness, but its a great sickness to have
Old 24-06-2009, 17:29   #8

Thumbs up Just what you need

Mate, I highly recommend you join the Island Cruising Association:

Yacht Cruising - Island Cruising Association

It's membership consists of people who have or aspire to do what you are dreaming about.

It holds monthly meetings (usually in Parnell and occasionally at some Marine oriented company's site) which include a "cash bar happy hour" where people casually talk about each other's "yacht stuff & plans", and then a presentation is made by someone knowledgable in some subject of interest/importance to Cruisers ... while you enjoy a full 3 course dinner ... all for ~$NZ 30!

MEMBERSHIP FEE: $NZ45.00 per annum

Definitely value for money!!!
Old 24-06-2009, 22:34   #9

Oceanswatch

As a Marine biologist you may be interested in joining Oceanswatch. You will find their website easy enough by searching.
St Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 01:17   #10

Boat: Trismus 37
Yeah welcome Kn, you are in the right place, it is a buyers market, every possible type and style of yacht is available in Auckland, the prices are yours for the asking. The only problem I can see is that the market for Life Style Blocks is the same as for boats, lots for sale but buyers are scarce. There is heaps of info here, whether to go mono or multi, traditional or straight off the drawing board you will find it on the Waitemata.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 02:43   #11

The ICA sounds like a brilliant organisation for us to join. Thanks for that suggestion.

Oceanswatch sounds interesting, but its not immediately apparent to me exactly how they operate. I need to spend a little bit of time looking at their website and checking it all out.

There are several yachts for sale at the moment, some of which are really well set up for water sailing">blue water sailing, others less so. Its interesting to see what's about. I have a few things that I'm looking for, some are pretty much essential, with other things there's room to compromise on. Even so, there's still plenty to look at and lots of wheat to sort from chaff .... but that's half the fun, isn't it.

I don't consider myself a complete noob, but I do have a lot to learn. Apart from the sabots, sunbursts, zephyrs and mistrals, I've raced on Pied Pipers, Elliots, Farr 1020s, Stewart 34s (fleet and match racing), Starlight Express and Innismara. I've cruised the gulf with my family in a 34' C class sloop and in launches, raced in short-handed races, I've delivered several boats on coastal trips (BOI to Mahurangi, Auck to GBI, etc) and I've done the Coastal Classic. I've crewed on the foredeck mostly, but have served plenty of time in the brain's trust too. I've cleaned and antifouled boats, replaced rigging, stepped masts, dived to clean hulls, etc, I've even finished building a 1/3 completed yacht (H28). I still feel like there's plenty for me to learn, but at the moment the big gap in my knowledge and experience is in blue water sailing.

Thanks for the welcome guys, there's lots of good info here, we're keen to learn and I'm sure we're going to get a lot out of this forum (and others).

Steve
Old 25-06-2009, 21:47   #12

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowazark View Post
The ICA sounds like a brilliant organisation for us to join. Thanks for that suggestion.

There are several yachts for sale at the moment, some of which are really well set up for blue water sailing, others less so. Its interesting to see what's about. I have a few things that I'm looking for, some are pretty much essential, with other things there's room to compromise on.
Steve
Steve

It would appear you have a lot more experience than many starting on this type of journey. Feel free to contact me by Pvt Mssg if you seek some assistance. Also, I would strongly advise you obtain a copy of Beth Leonard's "The Voyager's Handbook -The Essential Guide to Bluewater Cruising", Second Edition

William aka 'The PIRATE'

Tags
New Zealand