Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 15:05   #1

Cool Hi Sailors!

Hi guys!
Rick South here, South as in South America, way south!

I grew up in Sweden, and started sailing when I was about 10-11.
Sailed every summer until I was 20-21.

1987 I went on vacation to Uruguay, where I was born. Long story short, I met a girl, went back to Sweden, packed up everything, quit job and moved to Uruguay. Fast forward, today I´m 52, been married to said girl since 1991 and have a 25 year old son.

Soon after moving to Uruguay, I started to realize this country was quite different from Sweden, to say the least... But you don´t plan very well when you´re young and in love...

One of the things I realized, was that sailing was out of the equation... Although we have a beautiful several hundred miles long coast line, sailing is not very popular and very expensive.
But, I always dreamed of a come back. Finding your forum and reading your posts, brought back many memories, and I´m really hoked up on starting sailing again.
Pls. understand English is my third language, being Spanish and Swedish first and second, so I might write weird sentences or misspell...

Oh, to clarify I was a dingy sailor, (actually, even a sailing instructor and certified windsurfing instructor!) but that was many years ago, (feels like it happened in a past life..) and I never sailed a keel boat...

Now, as I first step to get on the water again, I was thinking of taking one of those "live-aboard" courses, to get the feeling and to certify my self in ASA 101-102 and 103 to start. Would very much appreciate if you could recommend a good school. I was thinking south Florida or the California coast. Any thoughts?
So, don´t know if I will be able to afford a boat some day, but definitely want to keep in touch with the sailing community!
I´m going to stop ranting now! Thank your for your time!!
Rick south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 18:13   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Hi Sailors!

Welcome to CF, Rick! Your written English is better than many of us natives. San Francisco Bay is one amazing place to sail, but can be on the chilly side. Check out this school (https://www.afterguard.net/). They can probably develop a program that meets your specific needs including a passage to Monterey for your offshore training.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 04:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rick.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 04:54   #4

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

My boat is Swedish, does that make us cousins?
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 15:44   #5

Hehe!!

I see you have an Albin Vega, beautiful boat, congrats!
There is (or was back in the day at least) a very good boat building tradition in Sweden, very solid, safe and well made boats.

Cheers cousin!
Rick south is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail