Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2011, 15:18   #1

Hi I Am New and Looking For ...

Do you think that buying the boat through ebay.com and boatangels seler is a good choice? I have no experience about sailing. I want to hire a delivery form Califirnia to Chile, any idea how to go forward? Finally, any girl from 35 to 45 years old seeking to have a partnership in buying a sailboat?
racing8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 15:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Hi I am new and looking for...

Racing, if you are currently in Chile, then buying a boat over the internet either by e bay or any other site is a really bad idea. You must go and visit the boat you intend to buy. Depending on the value a surveyor is also highly recommended to ensure that the condition matches the price.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 15:45   #3

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Ya hicimos dos veces lo que propones, en 2000 y 2010. Vivimos normalmente en Chile. Sin embargo tenemos bastante experiencia de navegación y en ambos casos fuimos fuera de Chile con nuestra lista corta (sacada del Internet - yachtworld, eBay, etc) para poder ver los veleros con nuestros propios ojos. Jamás lo habríamos hecho sin experiencia previa de veleros. Recomiendo que aprendes un poco primero, luego hagas un charter (BVIs o similar) y después de todo eso, vas a tener mas clara la película en términos del velero que te va a servir. Suerte!

Quote:
We have already twice what you propose, in 2000 and 2010. Normally live in Chile. But we have enough experience in navigation and in both cases we were outside Chile with our short list (taken from the Internet - YachtWorld, eBay, etc) to see the boats with our own eyes. Never would have made ​​no previous experience of sailing. I recommend you learn a bit first, then do a charter (BVIs or similar) and after all that, you will have clearer the film in terms of the sailboat that will be served. Suerte!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 16:06   #4

Gracias por tu respuesta, pero no puedo empezar comprando algo economico? Cuanto cuesta normalmente pagar a un capitan que lo lleve de California a Chile?
Que marca de velero me aconsejan? Gracias Sergio

"Thanks for your answer, but I can not start buying something economical? The costs typically pay for a captain to drive from California to Chile?
What brand of boat you advise me? Thanks Sergio"
Old 28-05-2011, 16:17   #5

pasame si puedes tu skype.com usuario (el mio es diasbuenos) a ver si conversamos un dia via telefonica. mi correo es globalconsultingchile@gmail.com mantengamos contacto directo a ver si me ayuidas y ganas algun dinero si lo deseas gracias
Old 28-05-2011, 16:31   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

All the boatangels are very rough and probably not seaworthy. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 16:35   #7

so, where you recommend me to seek a sailboat around 15000 US not necesarily at first to cruise the world but to have it in a a marine and sail coastline? thaks
Old 29-05-2011, 08:42   #8

My skype name is jim485.
Sure, you can buy a sailboat for $15 000. To get it to Chile, it would be more economical to stick it inside a 40' high cube container. You will have to deal with import costs with the Chilean aduana and they value the boat on arrival and do not look at the price you paid. Without experience, it is just not worth it. A couple of years ago, I looked at buying a 39' ex-racer from Hawaii -4' headroom, 8 sails, outboard, portapotty, 20 years old, $6k, etc. Was planning to play with it on the weekend races around Valpo, no cruising with 4' headroom! Was going to bring it down in an open top container. However the ambiguous import tax turned me off the whole idea, so we did not proceed.
Now we are on a catamaran cruising in the Caribbean, purchased last year in Florida.
With experience, you could buy a boat for around USD$50 000, spend another $20k on equipment/repairs/upgrades, another $20k getting it to Chile, then pay the aduana their cut, but how much is that last item???
Or learn what you really want by sailing other people's boats first. If you are porfiado and really want to import your own boat, be prepared to lose money and have a boat that perhaps does not suit your needs - but maybe that is ok for the learning experience and in a couple more years your second boat will be THE ONE?
Can you take a year off, away from work and Chile, to pursue the whole idea more thoroughly and learn more about boats and long distance sailing?

Old 29-05-2011, 08:44   #9

Look for the $15000 sailboat in Florida via the Internet, then visit personally with an experienced sailor or a surveyor. if you buy it, then practice around the Bahamas before you take it back to Chile. This assumes you are determined, resourceful and capable.

Old 29-05-2011, 10:01   #10

Re: Hi I Am New and Looking For ...

hola ya te agregue al skype.com. asi conversamos. menos de 15000 us no consigo nada biueno? practicar en la bahamas que licencia necesito., en chile hice el curso en la capitania de Chile chico pero no termine la practica, me sirve de algo ese antecedente? gracias

hello and add you to skype.com. so we talked. less than 15000 biueno us do not get anything? practice in the bahamas need licensing., in Chile did during the captaincy of Chile boy but does not end the practice, I use something that background? thanks
Old 29-05-2011, 10:11   #11

Boat: Pearson 281

Racer...
I think the charter first idea is always a good one if you have the patience otherwise there are plenty of boats in the southern Califonia area. Take a look at Craigs List as well as Ebay. I would be happy to help here and can offer delivery by a captain and crew(myself) at reasonable rate. There are other good delivery skippers to choose from as well if you wanted to shop around.I'm n ot sure that shipping offers a more economical way to transport and if it is being delivered by the right person you can count on knowledgeable help in making sure your choice is completely seaworthy which means ready to sail when you get it. Would be a good idea if you can find a skipper who wouldn't mind you helping wih the delivery thereby learning a lot with the right person, might cost just a bit more but...

Patience...toma tu tiempo

If you are seeing any boats that need a preliminary look before you inspect let me know... will see if I can help. Can definately do it if its in the Los Angeles area and maybe one of our San Diego members would be willing to take a look at a prospect down there

Send a personal message if interested...

Welcome and good luck with your boat search
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 10:43   #12

do you think that for 10,000 us I can get some item to be sailing around the world? or it is imposible for that price? Second how much you charge me to delivery a sailboat to Manzanillo Mexico, or Chile or Peru? Give some idea of costs?
Thanks.
Old 29-05-2011, 16:40   #13

Almost impossible for 10 000 us. For a RTW capable boat, after you buy it, you will spend 10 000 just on dinghy, outboard, solar panels or wind generator, upgraded electrical system, haul out and anti foul, some new rigging or a new sail. Just the basics! You may also want a life raft and epirb and sat phone. 10 000 doesn't go far when it comes to preparing a boat for RTW. We just spent over 20k on the basic stuff to get our catamaran ready and it was already pretty well equipped before we bought it with water maker, ssb, radar etc and we still don't have drogue, para anchor. Desperately need a haul out now.

Delivery is difficult from panama to Chile against the current and wind. (unless you get a year with El Niño!) Easy from California to Panama. It will end up costing you between 20k and 40k for skipper, crew, running costs and repairs to get it to Chile. Not worth it for a cheap boat. Better to get a better boat and then it makes more economic sense to sail it to Chile. If you want a cheap boat (10 000 us), then use a container on a cargo ship. Have you spoken to a customs agent yet about the latest boat importation costs?

Old 29-05-2011, 17:35   #14
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Please note, the Cruisers forum is an international community but the common language here is english. All posts must be translated into english. You may leave the original language if desired, but please, either translate yourself, or use one of the fine online translators to provide the text in english.

One possibility;
Google Translate

This is a basic courtesy to the community, and will open up the possible audience to assist you with your issues.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 19:36   #15

are you single? jajajajaj