Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2024, 08:55   #1

Hello from coastal Georgia (USA). Looking for boat recommendations.

Hello from coastal Ga. I am currently looking for a sailboat that meets the following requirements: shoal draft preferably under 4.5 ft, air draft under 48 ft, and length in the mid 30ft range.

I have about an 18 mile run from the intercoastal to my dock upriver, and there are a few shallow places and two bridges I can squeeze 48ft under.

I'm looking for a sailboat that can day sail 8 people comfortably, and overnight 4. The air draft is what's hard to find. Everything I look at in this size range exceed 50+ft. Maybe a ketch rig? Of maybe just get a trawler? I have fond memories of running my 29 Ericson, and Im at a point in my life where a sailboat is more and more appealing.

I would be very grateful for any recommendations or advise.
Ga mudwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 13:04   #2

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate
Re: Hello from coastal Georgia (USA). Looking for boat recommendations.

Daysail 8 in the mid-30 range? Seems like a big ask based on my experience in that range.

Might have better luck going Multi-Hull, but then the airdraft is a problem again I'm sure.

Ketch rig should reduce main mast air draft, but then you have SIGNIFICANTLY less cockpit space.. Also, they add lots of expense and maintenance (2 standing and running rigs, extra sail, blocks and parts) and they reduce performance of a properly optimized hull. Tough compromise in my book.

An Ovni in the nearly 40-ish range might work. Our air draft (Ovni 37) is exactly 48' and while a bit cramped, you could put 8 in the cockpit. They are very lightweight boats so typically smaller rigs and have lifting centerboards/rudders for the shoal draft. We are only 6 tons all up for cruising and we burnish our hard bottom paint often: the boat sails quite well. Basically a big dinghy.
Old 21-04-2024, 15:07   #3

Thanks for the input Ben. Yeah day sailing 8 people might be a tough ask. I was just thinking it's a slight possibility a couple times a year when family is in town.

The main thing is the air draft. I realize 48ft is the main obstacle I have to reason with. I'm just curious if anyone knew of any manufactures of a mid 30s boat with under 48ft air draft. It's seems finding mast heights from the waterline is a tough task, though it's sometimes listed on sailboat data.

I will definitely check out the ovni, Im not familiar with that boat. Thank you.
Old 21-04-2024, 17:44   #4

Mudwater, just my 2-cents, but I would highly recommend not giving such a rare event as once or twice a year much stock in the boat you choose.

At one time or another we have had onboard big groups on each of our boats over the years. I take people sailing whenever I get the chance, as I think its a really fun experience to share with others. But I am careful about the weather, I know the local waters well and since it has nothing to do with really going any place, I keep the sail area conservative so I can enjoy myself.

Choose the boat that suites your typical use model.

If your typical usage of the boat is simply day sailing by yourself or yourself +1, in the protected waters of the river: I would seriously consider a high performance boat that is exciting to sail in light weather and is fast to windward. Because 18 miles is for most monohulls a 3-4 hour trip on its own (so just out to the inlet and back is a 6-10hr day on its own) and you will be dealing with land effect wind since your inland for nearly the entire trip, so it will likely be light and puffy conditions even with a good forecast. Rivers also tend to funnel the breeze between the shores if there are trees on the banks, so you will be doing a lot of close hauled tacking upriver and running.
A big cruiser will likely be a demanding boat to sail in that typical use model and its longer turning radius could create a situation where your comfortable turn around points rare: this will be a boat you sail rarely.

Just be careful you choose the boat that will be sailed the most if you choose a sailboat.

Powerboats have a serious contention in your situation as well because they typically are quite efficient to travel at 25kn-ish. So the inlet is only an hour or so away depending on wake restrictions. This means you can get to the ocean fast, if that's what you want to experience.

Powerboats are honestly the best day sailors if you want to travel to specific places.
Performance sailboats are the best day sailors if you are just out on the water to sail.
Old 22-04-2024, 02:59   #5

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

My Endeavour 32 meets those requirements. I would think many similar boats would.

You might not fit all 8 people in the cockpit at once, some may have to sit along the cabin top or something. But most normal sized cockpits are not going to fit 8 people comfortably, even on larger boats.

Well, I guess it depends on your definition of comfort.

Old 22-04-2024, 08:51   #6

Good points from both. I'll check out the endeavor 32, I'm not familiar with that particular sailboat. I have, on average, 6ft of water, at low tide, at my dock. Sometimes with a hard west wind and a king tide, its 5 ft or slightly less. So I guess im just trying to find as much boat as I can that can live at my dock and pass under two 48ft bridges.
Old 22-04-2024, 09:06   #7

Boat: Catalina 42

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/beneteau-331/
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 11:45   #8

I would learn to read and understand some of the information provided by sailboat data.

For example "Sail Area to Displacement Ratio" is a very common metric used to help understand sailing performance characteristics:

Endeavor 32 has a SA/D: 14
Ovni 36 has a SA/D: 23
Bene 331 has a SA/D: 16

This helps you understand that you can have two VERY different sailing experiences on boats that are similarly sized.

Another metric to consider to help understand the boats sailing characteristics is wetted surface area because this contributes to the drag of the hull moving being pushed through the water. This number is not always available to you, but you can look at a picture of the amount of hull covered in bottom paint to at least give you an idea.
Old 22-04-2024, 12:17   #9

Boat: Columbia,Sloop,27 ft.

G"day from Australia.
My advice would be the Columbia 27 or the roberts 25.
There are others but keep in mind that you are looking also at accommodation, and time onboard your boat so you do not want to go less than 25 ft.
Gerard liveaboard,
SV GEMSTAR.
Tron Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 13:35   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 13:53   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Just as a point of reference, my Finnsailer 38 ketch has a clearance of 47 feet, but I call it 49 feet so the antenna doesn't get broken off. We've sailed with six onboard, which feels like a big crowd to us, but her center cockpit can handle it well because the weight stays in the center of the boat mostly. As some have pointed out, a cat would offer a much bigger cockpit in a reasonable length with the possibility of a short enough rig. Maybe a Gemini 3200.
Old 22-04-2024, 15:09   #12

Boat: Columbia,Sloop,27 ft.

My Apologies.
You were asking about shallow draft vessels and as i had owned and lived on, I thought to share my experience and knowledge in regarding your question.
As for my profile you should take another look at it and were i am located in the world.
Gerard on board.
SV GEMSTAR
Tron Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 15:58   #13

8 people for a day cruise.
Here hold my beer! Got that covered:

2 in the cockpit, 6 on the windward rail as ballast meat.

General rule for maximum occupancy on private yachts:

6 for drinks.
4 for dinner.
2 to sleep over.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2024, 03:24   #14

Thank you all for the advise. Please disregard the 8 person requirement, In my mind i was including small grandchildren, but didn't do a good job explaining that in my original post. As a previous owner of an Ericson 29, I'm familiar with that size/class of boat and Im looking for something a bit larger that will still clear the bridges. The endeavor 32, and the O'Day 34 seems to fit the bill. Any other recommendations? I do like the cape dory boats but the 30+ ft models have a deeper keel.
Old 23-04-2024, 05:09   #15

Boat: Cal 33-2

I would think some of the Catalina models in the low 30 foot range with a wing keel and standard (not tall) mast would meet your requirements. Advantage of a Catalina is there are a lot of them out there and always a good selection for sale.

Tags
boat, georgia, men, USA