Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2007, 20:30   #1

Boat: Hartley, Fijiian, 50ft,Seawind
Send a message via Yahoo to seawind_hazzie
HELLO AND HELP !

Hi every one
I'm from Australia [Queensland] currently a live aboard on a 50ft Hartley Fijiian called "Seawind". sitting just off Fraser Island in the Great Sandy Straits. i have a querie if some rigging expert could help me .. can I replace my galvanised shrouds with the same size spectra rope and still being retained by s/s turnbuckles.
cheers
Harry
seawind_hazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 20:41   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
It is my understanding that spectra may be strong enough, but it will probably (a) have too much stretch to be used for shrouds, and (b) be susceptible to weakening via prolonged exposure to UV, such that it would not, in general, be recommended for this use.

The only (synthetic) rope that I know that is used for shrouds is called PBO, but that is, as far as I know, more expensive than stainless steel wire, let alone galvanised. Vectran is less stretchy than spectra but probably still too stretchy for shrouds (and expensive)

If you are in a real bind, kevlar might be a possibility, as it is less stretchy than spectra, but I don't know for sure and you would need to ask aqualified rigger.

Frankly, in terms of dollar for dollar value, when taking into account both up-front cost and longlevity, steel shrouds (whether galv or stainless) is probably going to offer best value for money (Caveat: This is my unqualified opinion, which isn't worth a whole lot )

Oh, and before I forget:
Welcome Aboard!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 21:58   #3

Boat: Hartley, Fijiian, 50ft,Seawind
Send a message via Yahoo to seawind_hazzie
Thank you very much for your quick response and I value your input immensly, I have also listed the question on the rigging page I hope it generates a lot of answers,once again thanks.
Old 25-07-2007, 22:47   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I will also add this thought:

Have youever seen a yacht, any yacht that has used spectra for shrouds? If, as seems likely, you haven't, you have to ask yourself the question; "why not"? I know I have never seen such a thing. The closest I have seen is the use of spectra on the standing part of runners, but in that scenaria, you can take up the slack generated by stretch using the runner winch.

I also wonder, realistically, how much you will save using spectra? 8mm 1x19 stainless is only about AUD$10 per metre, which is not hugely more than 10mm Spectra... which I am guessing would be a similar strength (don't have my harken catalogue close to hand, sorry).
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote