Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006, 12:59   #1

Boat: Sabre 42
Hello

While I am not yet cool enough to own my own boat (hopefully changing in the next month or so)... I have been lurking around here for a while learning what I can learn. Now that I am getting ready to buy a boat, and bail on my life sitting in a cube, staring at a computer... I have alot of questions. I figured it was rude to just jump in asking questions without atleast a hi.

Hi.

Perhaps a better intro is needed. I have grown up on powerboats my whole life (Australia, and westcoast U.S.)... till about 5 years ago when I moved to the midwest. I do alot of backpacking, and travel to atleast 2 new countries a year... usually for a month at a time (yes, I do have a sweet job that lets me do this... thus I have been in the midwest for 5 years). My plans are to buy a sailboat, get my Scuba Instructor license (I have been a rescue diver for a few years), and travel the Carribean teaching to recover some costs.

I have some sailing experience... enough to know I need a more experienced person with me for a little while till I learn enough.

Anyway... I am sure to ask some dumb questions... you can laugh, only if you help answer them.
Old 10-10-2006, 13:22   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Welcome aboard. Good luck on your planned adventures. Take your time with buying a boat - its a big and complex decision.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 13:49   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Mystic,

No need to worry about stupid questions. If the questions are easy then of course we will answer them quickly. The hard ones take more effort. Thanks for the intro and now that people know who you are please join in with your questions. I hope you also spend some time looking around in the various sections some may be answered and you can then expand your question. Sharing other peoples answers makes the forum a really great place.

We never close (on purpose).
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 14:12   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mystic,
Welcome aboard!! 32-36 foot fiberglass cutter with an aft cockpit is my favorite. Lots of folks can help you get started here on this site. Some of the best Scuba in the world is in the Carib. Good choice.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:47   #5

Boat: Sabre 42
Thankyou for all the hello's. I have been looking at the "right" sailboat for a while now... and right in line with your thoughts John. I was going to wait untill I had enough money to get the "perfect" sailboat, untill I realized I will never find the "perfect" boat the first time around.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:37   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mystic,
The idea of the perfect sailboat changes with your boating experience. I used to think the perfect sailboat was something just a bit bigger, with shiney stainless fittings, teak decks, a sugar scoop stern, sleek and fast. Now I realize boats can be too big, too flashy and teak decks leak and many different configurations can meet your needs and look good to you. That's why the builders can sell so many different types and designs of boats.
A perfect beautiful boat is really subjective reference.
Good luck in your search.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote