Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2020, 15:54   #1
D_S

Hello!

Daniel here. I’ve read more about sailing than I’ve actually done, and want to start learning now, in order to be ready to be able to implement some life goals in about ten years.

My background is rural/agricultural, and I’ve done a bit of various things - construction, ranching, etc. I just paid off a farm tractor, and realized that for what I paid for the tractor, I could have a pretty decent little boat - it’s not an insurmountable goal, and so want to move in that direction.

Realistically, I think sailing to far off and exotic places is doable within a ten-year plan, and as I have more time to research now, than gain other experience...that I shall do.

I’ve been sailing on a lake (once) and off the coast of Maine (once). I fully realize that there’s a lot I don’t know, but...that’s why I’m here - to learn.

After talking this idea over with my partner, I’ve decided I should start seriously studying what it will take for she and I to actually....do this, and not have it be a dream that we never achieve.

Any input, thoughts, suggestions, and constructive criticisms are welcomed.
D_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 16:03   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Hello!

Hi! ) Funnily enough, my ship has a marinised tractor engine, so you're off to a head start in that regard
There are entire libraries of ebooks available on certain websites of questionable legality...
Here is a good place for advice but remember it is just that - advice, and often relative to the person's specific experience with a specific boat.
So get reading
Old 23-05-2020, 16:12   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard CF, D_S.

There are many different opinions here, and they will soon be popping out for evaluation.

Enjoy. My opinion is that you and your partner need to have more time in boats.

Ann
Old 23-05-2020, 16:18   #4
D_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Welcome aboard CF, D_S.

There are many different opinions here, and they will soon be popping out for evaluation.

Enjoy. My opinion is that you and your partner need to have more time in boats.

Ann
Thanks!

Absolutely need to get more time in boats. No question. That will come with time, but right now isn’t an option, so I will have to make do with other more academic pursuits.
Old 23-05-2020, 16:22   #5
D_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Hi! ) Funnily enough, my ship has a marinised tractor engine, so you're off to a head start in that regard
There are entire libraries of ebooks available on certain websites of questionable legality...
Here is a good place for advice but remember it is just that - advice, and often relative to the person's specific experience with a specific boat.
So get reading
What engine do you have, and in what boat?

I have a Zetor - 100 hp - might be a wee bit bigger than needed, plus, it’s kind of hard to move hay, and skid logs if that engine is in a boat. 😁
Old 23-05-2020, 16:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_S View Post
What engine do you have, and in what boat?

I have a Zetor - 100 hp - might be a wee bit bigger than needed, plus, it’s kind of hard to move hay, and skid logs if that engine is in a boat. ��
BMC 1.5, 35hp, an old english design, bloody pain in the ass imperial parts! She makes about 6 knots at 90% rpm, so I'm happy with it. Although we sailed engineless for 4 years, while I was trying to work my way through various problems, although the issues were all due to the previous owners being airheaded-surfers rather than sailors. The general construction is good.
It was a learning experience ^_^
A good engine is useful, but you should learn how to deal with not having one imo. You should be able to reach your vessels hull-speed with it, or thereabouts, which is 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length in feet (HS = 1.34 x √LWL). And here's your first bit of advice - just because you can exceed your hull speed doesn't mean that you should - the keel and rudder start behaving erratically and you will have less control and be at greater risk of a serious mishap, like broaching.
Old 23-05-2020, 17:01   #7

It's good to hear that you have a ten year plan, I also am the kind of person that writes lists and makes plans, it is the key to getting sh*t done imo. But don't get bogged down. If you have the ability to make money at sea, then move onto a ship sooner rather than later, and work the rest out as you go. We've made 3000nm so far, while still working on the ship and raising a baby. It can be done if you have the will.
Old 23-05-2020, 18:28   #8
D_S

How do you make money aboard the boat?
Old 24-05-2020, 00:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_S View Post
How do you make money aboard the boat?
Airbnb and chartering when my gf isn't here, and day-trip chartering when my gf and daughter are here (before the current crisis) and freelance writing - although I haven't been doing that for awhile now, and need to rebuild my client base. My gf is a professional Polish-English-German translator, she had to take a pay cut to do it, but was able to make the switch to become self-employed and work online. If you don't mind the low wages and don't have any relevant qualifications, there are data entry jobs and such that you can find for online work.
I am also a sailmaker, although I don't have a machine currently. I make some extra cash doing sail repairs, and reinforcements that require hand sewing. I also produce designs for things such as biminis, and we get a local guy with a sewing machine to do the unskilled parts.