Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2014, 20:19   #301

Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ah shud be OK than with mah lil ole peashootha,,,,
Gonna need a bigger truck!
Old 30-09-2014, 01:01   #302

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
What they require is a gun cabinet that can be locked and where customs can put a seal on.
And the difference between that and a gun cabinet considered suitable in a shore side location would be what exactly? I know that on my production boat there is nothing that would pass muster without considerable modification.

But then what would I know about gun ownership in Australia........
Old 30-09-2014, 03:36   #303

Cruising towards a place that would give me a reason to have a gun aboard sounds like a good place not to go cruising to begin with.
Old 30-09-2014, 04:01   #304
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post
Cruising towards a place that would give me a reason to have a gun aboard sounds like a good place not to go cruising to begin with.
I have allways carried guns to protect my self from attack on the high seas,once you get where your going you generally have a higher degree of safety from local law enforcement and the informal cruisers network that you find in most anchorages,watching each others back.
Old 30-09-2014, 09:55   #305

Boat: Westerly Sealord

You just don't want to be too pro-active when dealing with them pirates... The Italian Navy strikes again
Old 30-09-2014, 10:12   #306

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Guns on a boat, yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
Really ??? I would love to know which ones since I've lived down here 23 years and never heard of this before. I'll have to pass this post onto Capt. Fatty.. He would have a ball with this!
Add Trinidad & Tobago

Travellers are also cautioned against wearing military or camouflage clothing, as it is illegal in Trinidad and Tobago. Persons dressed in camouflage risk being detained by Customs officials and having the garments confiscated.

Trinidad and Tobago - The True Caribbean - Official Travel and Tourism Site
Old 30-09-2014, 10:24   #307
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Add Trinidad & Tobago

Travellers are also cautioned against wearing military or camouflage clothing, as it is illegal in Trinidad and Tobago. Persons dressed in camouflage risk being detained by Customs officials and having the garments confiscated.

Trinidad and Tobago - The True Caribbean - Official Travel and Tourism Site
my girl friend has a camouflage bikini......I'd love to see them confiscate that on the beach
Attached Images

Old 30-09-2014, 10:42   #308

Boat: Catalina 30

Atoll you're my hero
Old 30-09-2014, 16:54   #309

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Wow is this the longest running gun thread? Some good info, keep it coming.
Old 30-09-2014, 17:12   #310

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
my girl friend has a camouflage bikini......I'd love to see them confiscate that on the beach
Yes, but is it hiding anything?
Old 30-09-2014, 23:17   #311
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Yes, but is it hiding anything?
a small,short Brazilian with no visa
Old 30-09-2014, 23:59   #312

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I have a question. It seems most of these threads are about which countries can you bring guns nto, the consequences of bringing guns etc etc etc.

Mainly americans heading out.

How about the rest of us? What happens when I approach the US , radio the ISCG/Homeland SEC, (30nm out) as I'm supposed to and when they come around I say, "oh, by the way I've got a semi-auto shotgun and a couple of rifles and pistols below, including 200 rounds for each gun."

Now aside from all the boarders immediately reaching for their weapons - what happens?

Gun laws are different from state to state - Sullivan laws in NY are, if I remember correctly extremely strict, while I suspect SC and georgia , are more relaxed "god ole boys" states.

If I've declared them with the USCG - do I have to declare them with state authority (which authority?), or what about local ordinances? (NYC- who do I declare with?)

How am I even supposed to find out if there are city, county, state laws that affect my gun carrying?

I suspect bringing a gun into the US is probably more difficult than bringing one into most countries.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 01-10-2014, 00:12   #313
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I have a question. It seems most of these threads are about which countries can you bring guns nto, the consequences of bringing guns etc etc etc.

How about the rest of us? What happens when I approach the US , radio the ISCG/Homeland SEC, (30nm out) as I'm supposed to and when they come around I say, "oh, by the way I've got a semi-auto shotgun and a couple of rifles and pistols below, including 200 rounds for each gun."

Now aside from all the boarders immediately reaching for their weapons - what happens?

Gun laws are different from state to state - Sullivan laws in NY are, if I remember correctly extremely strict, while I suspect SC and georgia , are more relaxed "god ole boys" states.

If I've declared them with the USCG - do I have to declare them with state authority (which authority?), or what about local ordinances? (NYC- who do I declare with?)

How am I even supposed to find out if there are city, county, state laws that affect my gun carrying?

I suspect bringing a gun into the US is probably more difficult than bringing one into most countries.
I assume the usa has a customs service,and like other countries they will either seal it onboard,or hold it in safe custody until you leave.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-b...-boat-overview

Firearms

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) regulates and restricts firearms and ammunition and approves all permanent import transactions involving weapons and ammunition. If you want to import weapons or ammunition, you must do so through a licensed importer, dealer or manufacturer. Also, if the National Firearms Act prohibits certain weapons, ammunition or similar devices from coming into the country, you will not be able to import them unless the ATF provides you with written authorization to do so. If the firearm is controlled as a U.S. Munitions List article and it is temporarily imported to the United States, or it is temporarily exported, it may also require a Department of State license or need to meet the conditions for a license exemption.

You do not need an ATF permit if you can demonstrate that you are returning with the same firearms or ammunition that you took out of the United States. To prevent problems when returning, you should register your firearms and related equipment by taking them to any CBP office before you leave the United States. The CBP officer will register them on the same CBP Form-4457 used to register cameras or computers. For more information, please refer to the Tip: Register Items Before You Leave The United States page.

For further information about importing weapons, contact the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives at:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Office of Public and Governmental Affairs
99 New York Ave. NE
Mail Stop 5S144
Washington, DC 20226

The Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) regulates the permanent export, temporary import and temporary export of rifles and handguns, plus ammunition. If you want to temporarily import/export or permanently export rifles, handguns and ammunition, you must either obtain a license from DDTC or qualify for a license exemption under 22 CFR 123.17 or 123.18. The export of shotguns and buckshot is controlled under the Bureau of Industry and Security's Export Administration Regulations.

Many countries will not allow you to enter with a firearm even if you are only traveling through the country on the way to your final destination. If you plan to take your firearms or ammunition to another country, you should contact officials at that country's embassy to learn about its regulations.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/internatio...ted-restricted
Old 01-10-2014, 00:23   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Excellent questions! Most of us US citizens don't know either. I have a Virginia concealed carry permit, but there are states that do not reciprocate with Virginia. You can google the state to state reciprocal laws. It's kinda like playing "Frogger".

As far as US customs? I dunno.
Old 01-10-2014, 00:40   #315
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
a small,short Brazilian with no visa
Or permission to enter form. Probably the same thing really.

Coops.

Tags
Guns, guns