Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2024, 01:24   #1

Greetings from a beginner in Scotland

Hello everyone,

I’ve just joined after reading the forum and finding it really helpful.

I’m a middle aged dad, kids aged 5-10 now looking at exposing them to sailing for the first time.

I used to sail dinghies then windsurfed and surfed. I love mountains too. A summer flotilla in the Ionian was one of the best holidays my wife and I ever had - but that was over a decade ago! A few sailing friends here in Scotland but admittedly little time.

I’m joining just now because it feels like this is the time to try taking them out on a boat. The 10 year old will be a teen soon and then it may well be too late to get her interested. Looking at Gocek / Fethiye in Turkey which whilst a bit overdeveloped / busy also sounds quite mild in weather and has lots of coves within a few miles of each other.

Thanks and also I’ve really enjoyed reading the thread about how many anchors to carry - very informative!
Assynt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 05:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: Greetings from a beginner in Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assynt21 View Post
The 10 year old will be a teen soon and then it may well be too late to get her interested.
to the forum!

You have personal experience with dinghy sailing. I'd be looking to give my kid a similar experience. Learning to sail at summer camp is what got me hooked. It is probably more fun for a kid to be in total control of a small boat than helping crew a larger one.

Best wishes in getting the family more involved in sailing!
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 09:08   #3

Thanks -

Yes that’s a good point. It’s just that weirdly it’s much easier to arrange the week’s holiday than the sailing camp. I have my eye on one but it’s a bit complicated - you have to commit to x weekends a year helping to run it, it’s a whole weekend, the kids need to know they want to do it, plus our Scottish weather is far more inclement (=wet and cold) than the summer holiday one. It’s definitely a next (or different) step if they get on ok with this!

I’ve had a similar issue with surfing - it feels like we need to have a go showing them somewhere warm and sunny, they can then commit to learning in Scotland if they get a taste for it?
Old 08-05-2024, 10:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Your strategy sounds great. When I was hoping to get my wife involved in sailing, I took her on a chartered vacation to the BVI, so she could experience all the benefits of island hopping on a sailboat in a tropical climate. She loved it, and the memory of that helps when she is sanding teak on our boat.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 15:40   #5

Thanks Joe!
That’s great.i can’t quite stretch to the BVI for this trip, but definitely the same idea.

Wojtek

Tags
Scotland