Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 16:23   #2266

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Funny how climate change stops at international borders, ain't it?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-02-2016, 16:54   #2267

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Please name just one island nation which has disappeared over the past 30 years?
Ken, just google "disappearing islands climate change". I know you can do the research as well as I. This unrefined search turned up pages of hits.

Quote:
The Syrian refugee crisis is being caused by global warming? Really, you believe that nonsense? You don't think the Syrian civil war and ISIS has anything to do with the exodus? Oh my......
I didn't say that the Syrian refugee crises was caused by climate change, although I see my wording was sloppy. No, I don't think the crisis is majorly climate change-driven. But I do think it's partly about territory and resources. That was the point I was making. Climate change will result in shifting resources. What happens when formerly lush land become arid? What happens when water moves to your neighbours? Wars have always been fought, in part, for access to resources. Climate change is going to exacerbate these tensions.

Speaking of water, I've been travelling through some of the drought-afflicted zones of the USA. I've seen how low Lake Mead is (now at all-time record low). I've seen the impacts, and I've observed the freaky human constructs like Los Vegas, and open aqueducts that move the Colorado hundreds of km (loosing much of it to evaporation). I've seen desiccated orchards right beside lush ones. Both are growing in land that can't support this kind of growth, except one orchard owner stopped paying the water bill.

What would happen if the rains don't return to California? What happens if the mid-west runs dry? Canada is rich with fresh water. Will America not look north and "ask" us to share? What if we say no? Don't answer ... I already know what would happen ... and this is a scenario between friendly nations.
Old 01-02-2016, 17:06   #2268

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Sinking islands (not that any have actually sunk) are not caused by rising sea levels. They're sinking because of land subsidence which results from a number of different causes.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-02-2016, 17:35   #2269
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ken, just google "disappearing islands climate change". I know you can do the research as well as I. This unrefined search turned up pages of hits.

I didn't say that the Syrian refugee crises was caused by climate change, although I see my wording was sloppy. No, I don't think the crisis is majorly climate change-driven. But I do think it's partly about territory and resources. That was the point I was making. Climate change will result in shifting resources. What happens when formerly lush land become arid? What happens when water moves to your neighbours? Wars have always been fought, in part, for access to resources. Climate change is going to exacerbate these tensions.

Speaking of water, I've been travelling through some of the drought-afflicted zones of the USA. I've seen how low Lake Mead is (now at all-time record low). I've seen the impacts, and I've observed the freaky human constructs like Los Vegas, and open aqueducts that move the Colorado hundreds of km (loosing much of it to evaporation). I've seen desiccated orchards right beside lush ones. Both are growing in land that can't support this kind of growth, except one orchard owner stopped paying the water bill.

What would happen if the rains don't return to California? What happens if the mid-west runs dry? Canada is rich with fresh water. Will America not look north and "ask" us to share? What if we say no? Don't answer ... I already know what would happen ... and this is a scenario between friendly nations.
Man, you've bought into the whole California enchilada hook, line and stinker. California's drought is mostly man made by poor water management by the liberal politicians. Just letting most of it run off into the ocean rather than holding it back in reservoirs to be used for farmland and drinking.

I'm sure when the rain returns to California, the dopes will just let it run back into the sea once again instead of fixing the problem by building dams.
Old 01-02-2016, 17:35   #2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I guess it's a good thing that research into and taking action against the Zika virus doesn't threaten any right-wing motherhoods or business interests, so those scientists and institutions won't have to struggle against all the same bullsh!t that climate scientists have had to. And few will scream "soshulist!" when a government, the World Health Organization, or a UN panel lays out some guidelines and steps to combat it.

... of course you could oppose it quite safely, if you want to. Zika, like climate change, will never be that much of a threat to the cruising/yachting demographic.
Easy solution. DDT. Mosquitos die. Zika becomes a non-threat.
Old 01-02-2016, 17:52   #2271

Quote:
Just letting most of it run off into the ocean rather than holding it back in reservoirs to be used for farmland and drinking.

I'm sure when the rain returns to California, the dopes will just let it run back into the sea once again instead of fixing the problem by building dams.
Already happening. El Nino was predicted to cause drought-breaking rains and snows in CA and the SW this year. Predictions were spot on, and rain and snow are much above average, but no planning was done for improved and expanded collection systems.

I don't expect much to change during the dry times leading up to the next El Nino.

And these are the people that the warmists would have do the planning and execution for the policies that would be put in place to roll back the effects of CO2 "pollution." Similar to the people who mis-used the funding to improve the NO levees that could have held back the flooding from Katrina.

Another anecdote (they are ubiquitous)...courtesy of Josh Gelernter:

Quote:
The Left likes to talk about building infrastructure. Roads and bridges. Among bridges, President Obama particularly likes the Golden Gate: “When we invested in the Hoover Dam or the Golden Gate Bridge . . . those things benefited everybody. And so that’s the vision I want to carry forward.” The federal government was involved in the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge because it owned the land on either side of the Golden Gate Strait. The winning proposal for the bridge was made in 1916; by 1932, it still wasn’t done. So a private banker named Amadeo Giannini bought out the government, and had the bridge finished by 1937.
Of course, in the current era, neither Hoover Dam nor the GG Bridge would have been built...the environmental impact statements would be out for public comment indefinitely, and then the USG would disapprove the building permits due to impacts on the flora and fauna.
Old 01-02-2016, 17:55   #2272

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Man, you've bought into the whole California enchilada hook, line and stinker. California's drought is mostly man made by poor water management by the liberal politicians. Just letting most of it run off into the ocean rather than holding it back in reservoirs to be used for farmland and drinking.

So you've travelled through here recently? I don't know anything about the dope-smoking liberal politicians. I can tell you the land is parched and dry, and that is not something any politician has the power to do. I travelled some length of the Colorado. I passed by many dams. It petered to a small river/big creek by the time I said goodbye to it. I don't think any of it is getting to the ocean.

I gather there is huge political forces that orbit around water here. The signs are everywhere: "DON'T LET THEM CUT OUR WATER!" "WATER MEANS JOBS!" Water is political here. Resources are political.

I drive over a rise and look down on a desert valley. On the left is a completely artificial rectangular section of green, lush citrus trees growing out of powdery desert dirt. On the other is a desiccated orchard. All around are cacti and dust. Th city of Los Vegas is a sprawling testament to the power of human imagination. It's in the middle of nothing. Where does the water come for these millions? Where will they go when the water stops?

The drought continues, despite record El Nino rainfalls in Colorado, Washington and British Columbia. Is this weather? Is this climate change???
Old 01-02-2016, 18:02   #2273

Quote:
So you've travelled through here recently? I don't know anything about the dope-smoking liberal politicians. I can tell you the land is parched and dry, and that is not something any politician has the power to do. I travelled some length of the Colorado. I passed by many dams. It petered to a small river/big creek by the time I said goodbye to it. I don't think any of it is getting to the ocean.
Mike, it's been that way since Moby Dick was a minnow (since the public works dams were built upstream).
Old 01-02-2016, 18:10   #2274
cruiser

Quote:

I gather there is huge political forces that orbit around water here. The signs are everywhere: "DON'T LET THEM CUT OUR WATER!" "WATER MEANS JOBS!" Water is political here. Resources are political.

I drive over a rise and look down on a desert valley. On the left is a completely artificial rectangular section of green, lush citrus trees growing out of powdery desert dirt. On the other is a desiccated orchard. All around are cacti and dust. Th city of Los Vegas is a sprawling testament to the power of human imagination. It's in the middle of nothing. Where does the water come for these millions? Where will they go when the water stops?

The drought continues, despite record El Nino rainfalls in Colorado, Washington and British Columbia. Is this weather? Is this climate change???
Mike,

You don't have any idea of what you're talking about. I grew up in Southern California and hiked the entire length of the John Miur trail in the Sierra Nevada as a 14 year old. I lived there for thirty years.... I wasn't just passing though. I've gone back every year since and spent many summers there. You are dead wrong on everything you've written on this matter.

The water shortage was politically engineered.... No question, pure and simple. Just stop and ask any Central Valley farmer in order to find out first hand, instead of making a snap (and wrong) conclusion. Ask them about the damn Delta Smelt and get back to us and report their reaction.

It's truly a crime how the leftist politicians have messed up California, all they want to do is control the people, and controlling the water is just one giant arrow in their quiver.
Old 01-02-2016, 18:18   #2275

Quote:
Mike,

You don't have any idea of what you're talking about. I grew up in Southern California and hiked the entire length of the John Miur trail in the Sierra Nevada as a 14 year old. I lived there for thirty years.... I wasn't just passing though. I've gone back every year since and spent many summers there. You are dead wrong on everything you've written on this matter.

The water shortage was politically engineered.... No question, pure and simple. Just ask any Central Valley farmer. Ask them about the damn Delta Smelt and get back to us and report their reaction.
Your Delta Smelt is a red herring.
Old 01-02-2016, 18:23   #2276
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Your Delta Smelt is a red herring.
Jack,

Go to California and see for yourself.
Old 01-02-2016, 18:38   #2277

Quote:
Jack,

Go to California and see for yourself.
Been there. Done that.

The Colorado is dammed. One of the canals flows past my in-laws place in Yuma.

The Colorado "delta"
Old 01-02-2016, 19:19   #2278
cruiser

Jack,

Please check your geography. The Colorado river does not flow through California, it does however, flow along the south eastern border. The entire Colorado River watershed lies outside of California.

The absence of dams and politically motivated/created water shortages are primarily located in the central and northern parts of the state. Water which hydrates the Central Valley where most of the farming takes place.

In attempting to make your point, you're looking at the only example where the southern most river actually dries up after first servicing Colorado and New Mexico. California, has little to no control over the Colorado River watershed. The areas where the California government does have control... It's totally screwed everything up, and now allows the water to empty into the ocean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	118187  
Old 01-02-2016, 19:41   #2279

Quote:
Jack,

Please check your geography. The Colorado river does not flow through California, it does however, flow along the south eastern border. The entire Colorado River watershed lies outside of California.

The absence of dams and politically motivated/created water shortages are primarily located in the central and northern parts of the state. Water which hydrates the Central Valley where most of the farming takes place.

In attempting to make your point, you're looking at the only example where the southern most river actually dries up after first servicing Colorado and New Mexico. California, has little to no control over the Colorado River watershed. The areas where the California government does have control... It's totally screwed everything up, and now allows the water to empty into the ocean.
The All-American Canal is an 80-mile (130 km) long aqueduct, located in southeastern California. It conveys water from the Colorado River into the Imperial Valley and to nine cities.
Old 01-02-2016, 19:46   #2280
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The All-American Canal is an 80-mile (130 km) long aqueduct, located in southeastern California. It conveys water from the Colorado River into the Imperial Valley and to nine cities.
OK, I'll give you that point. But what about the rest of the state? How about the water going to the other 35 million people and the Central Valley? You can't try to tell me that the water heading up there is being handled properly and without a political agenda?

Next, you're probably going to try and convince me that London Bridge is located someplace in the California desert.
Closed Thread