Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2010, 13:53   #181

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
But your evidence comes from a less-than-credible source and I have said I am not qualified to argue the specifics of the science.

In any case, no one disputes there have been rather significant fluctuations in temperature over geologic time. Neither would they dispute that for much of Earth's history, the planet has been inhospitible to human life. So, what's your point?
Then if you agree with this point why has a minor temperature rise know (which is also in dispute) but given that it has what is the problem? Why does the western world need to suddenly downgrade their life style and that is what is being proposed?
Why was the hot topic some ten to fifteen years ago about a hole in the Ozone layer which caused us to stop using certain ozone depleting products one of which was R12 refrigerant the developed world know uses R134? We never here talk on the subject from those scientists but I am curious as in 2008 while staying n Mexico I noted that R12 was freely available and then spoke to someone in the industry here in OZ who told me countries like India, Malaysia and China still manufacture and use the product with no controls as to its use and discharge into that same atmosphere. Is the hole only a hole until massive changes are made to devoloped countries industry in the form of more bureacracy, regulation, taxes, taxes? Or does R12 have a nationality and only some countries R12 have an effect on the ozone. Me thinks the real problem is excess Bull Dust being discharged by green fanatics being a much larger problem than global warming.
Old 19-01-2010, 13:55   #182

Boat: Cal 2-46
It believe that it absolutely makes sense to mitigate the risk associated with human related CO2 output.

I invite people to consider the benefits of working to change our way of life from a carbon centered existence to one which focuses on the development of alternative fuels and other technologies which reduce the reliance on petro chemicals. Yes it will be hard work with big change with some risks to existing economies but there will be many opportunities created.

There are some conflicting reports about the influence of the current changes to weather and climate wrt frequency and intensity of hurricanes...I do hope the change is not too negative towards sailing and safety..but I don't count on it.

Jimmy Cornell has spoken of shorter cruising seasons and less predictability in the trades as a result of the changes to weather seen in the last 50 years.
Old 19-01-2010, 13:55   #183
CLOD

Boat: none
I think I'm getting ill! I needed to fart but decided to hold it in for the greater good.

I think it is a fact that whatever side of this issue you are on, the other side isn't going to change you mind. So lets lighten up already. I'm surprised this thread isn't closed yet as it isn't about sailing anymore.
Old 19-01-2010, 14:00   #184
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
No I don't think that it is silly at all. CarlF seems to get the point alright.

What I think is silly is ignoring the scientific consensus. It is especially silly the consequences could be catastrophic....

Frankly it is just common sense.
Ok, I will play along. Using CarlF's numbers, if GW has a 99.999989% chance of being a scam, do you give the con artist the money on the .000011% chance that it is not really a scam? That is worse than silly.

And where is the "scientific consensus" when it comes to answering some basic answers? Even the small temperature changes predicted by the "scientific consensus" would not bring about the catastrophic results the fearmongers are selling. Why? Because, as the data shows, the Earth has already experienced those temperatures and has done just fine. How exactly did the polar bears survive 1000AD, 500AD, 1200BC, and 2200BC where the temperatures were far beyond anything yet predicted by the "scientific consensus?"
Old 19-01-2010, 14:03   #185
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I think I'm getting ill! I needed to fart but decided to hold it in for the greater good.

I think it is a fact that whatever side of this issue you are on, the other side isn't going to change you mind. So lets lighten up already. I'm surprised this thread isn't closed yet as it isn't about sailing anymore.
I think that is why this is the "off topic forum."
Old 19-01-2010, 14:08   #186
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
I think that is why this is the "off topic forum."

No, but thank you for playing. The off-topic forum is for threads that are still about boating but that do not fit other topics. It most certainly is not for politics.

Since a simple reminder did not suffice I am closing this thread.
Closed Thread