Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 14:32   #76

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Re: The Knife Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I ran a construction company for twenty five years. (More or less, depending on how you count.)

Electricity is a powerful magic controlled by wizards known as "electricians".

If one is not careful, it will jump out of its lair (called a "panel") and smite your ass. Then you'll need to take a dump and get a cup of coffee, in that order. Even after that, you'll be really, really sorry that it happened.

It only strikes when it's certain the range is correct. It gives no warning. It will lay in waiting for years, or even decades, and then strike in the dead of night, lighting fires and leaving behind its signature scorch mark. Then its victims will stare at the scorch mark, the only sign of its passing, stare at each other, and whisper "we need an electrician."

It travels through your house in wires known as conductors, silently, invisibly, always there except during magical uproars called "blackouts". (Folks use the cry "the power's off! The power's off!" to mark the start of a "blackout".)

While largely domesticated, never forget that electricity is inherently feral, and is held in check only by the voodoo practiced by electricians.

In all that time, I've never been able to strip wires with knives without damaging the conductors. I guess I'll have to live with the shame.

You don't know what the notches are for or how to use them?

Just Brilliant....yep use the right ools to kep the lectricity in its lair
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 17:45   #77
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post
Just Brilliant....
I also wanted to say the same when I first read it, but didn't want it to get to his head.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 17:46   #78
cruiser

S/v: Nice knife!
Old 09-03-2013, 20:36   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I also wanted to say the same when I first read it, but didn't want it to get to his head.
My wife has directed me to tell you it's much, much too late for that. I'm not sure what she means, I'm very modest.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:11   #80

Boat: Bristol 45.5

My newest knife and favorite is a Myerchin Gen2 Crew (smaller) with straight blade. Easily stows in pocket with clip, small size is nice, opens with one hand, has marlinspike, cost about $55 at Defender. Also carry a Leatherman at all times. I prefer the smooth knife, not serrated as it is so easy to sharpen on my kitchen steel.

I have a number of fixed and folding knives, this new Gen2 Crew size knife is just the right size to keep with me at all times. That plus the Leatherman are a good combo.
S/V Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:25   #81

I used to carry a Buck folding knife with a marlinspike. I had a piece of line with a lasson on it to keep from losing it. Of course, I finally lost it anyway. Now I carry a Kershaw folder all the time, including on the boat.

But, when cutting lines loose from the prop or rudder, I still take a steak knife with a serrated edge. That way, if I drop it, I don't feel so bad.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:58   #82

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
I just can't seem to decide on which one.....

Shades of TSA
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 20:14   #83

A knife is a tool, like any other. The one that works for you is the one you are most comfortable with. Put one in your pocket, take it to the stone on occasion, and keep it oiled. If you need a "harrowing story", you probably need both a sheath knife and a lesson in prevention. Otherwise, a sharp piece of flint will do.
selkirksghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 16:04   #84

Boat: Catalina 30
The Knife Thread

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1399849201.048807.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	80992

Thread necromancy.

Found my Appalachian Trail knife in the dirt on the side of road. It had been there so long the camo color scheme had faded.

Small, bowed back works well as a slotted deck key. Has ambi opening lugs, belt clip and serration for line cutting.

Harrowing story- I left painters tape on my rub rails for 3 months in the sun. Had to scrape it off using this knife on a stepladder. Horrible experience.
Old 11-05-2014, 19:49   #85
cruiser

Nice knife gary!
Old 04-06-2014, 14:26   #86

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I won an old SOG dagger and sheath in a poker game years ago and had it on me for close to 20 years of commercial fishing, beachcombing and towing logs and barges in the PNW. I was so in love with it that I had my name engraved on the blade near the handle. I lost it in a brawl in the pub in Alert Bay and pretty much forgot about it until I got a house call from the RCMP in Port Hardy on Vancouver Island who told me they had recovered it in a body! They were very interested in where I had been for the past month or two and fortunately I had a good alibi. Did spend a while in custody while they sorted through the mess. Needless to say, I didn't get my knife back but have always had a soft spot in my heart for SOG products. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 16:05   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have had a number of knives and multi tools over the years. Found the Leatherman Skeletool CS is the handiest one to have. First one disappeared during a haul out and was lost without it. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but just about everything I need in normal use. Small enough so you can put it in your pocket without your pants sagging from the weight. The screw driver is actually easy to use and works almost as well as a dedicated screwdriver which is not the case with the others. The changeable bits cover everything from #6-12 flatheads and #1-2 Phillips. Pliers are smallish but work well pulling cotter pins and most of the other things you need pliers for. The CS Version has a harder stainless steel blade which keeps its edge better. Last but not least, the belt clip doubles as a beer opener. Took me a while to figure that out. Leatherman Skeletool CX, Box -

Carry a full size folding Myerchin with marlin spike and serrated blade. The two pretty much means I don't have to take out the tool chest excepting when tackling hex nuts/bolts.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:15   #88

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I have the same Buck rigging knife I've had since I bought my first big cruiser in 1969! It's a bit narrow bladed from 46 years of sharpening but otherwise should have another 49 years in it when I pass it on to my grandson!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 14:51   #89

It's alive! This thread is alive!

Harrowing + requiring knife. Does having to jump into the water when it is 30F because you ran over a crab pot and the line is now wrapped around the propeller count as harrowing?

I don't think I've ever had something simple take longer or be more unpleasant in my entire life. In the water for five. Cut. Up to the heater. Dive back in for five. Cut. Up to the heater. Repeat...repeat...repeat...

Did I mention I have a drysuit now?
LeLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 18:03   #90
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I saw my first Helle knife the other day. Looks very impressive in a classical sense.

The laminated blade was intriguing as was the cork handle but I have never used one.

Has anyone here have hands on experience?

Startpage - Helle kniver
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote