Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 23:18   #1231

Boat: too many
Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
My heart goes out to you it's a tuff road you've chosen to travel. Both my mother and grandmother had it so I know how hard it is. We kept them at home as long as we could, but Mom started wandering off and we simply could not keep her restrained short of tying her up. She ended up in an extended care facility and that was its own form of hell. No easy solutions here and no hope. Sadly, it only gets worse and never gets better. My hat is off to you for your efforts though and I pray the road you travel will be a short one.
Yachts66, thank you, coming from someone that has "been there, done that" is encouraging. Two years ago dad broke his hip, and I saw first hand that being in a facility would be miserable for him. He was in a care/physical therapy facility and even though I visited him twice a day, the nurses reported to me how upset he would get when on a few occasions, scheduling kept me from the 2nd visit.

Because he forgets he can't get up without assistance, I've had to put two gait belts together and run it behind the stuffed, high back chair he sits in for watching TV. It is very loose, not used to restrain or restrict but rather a reminder to him to call me if he needs to get up. Allows me to get chores done without having to hear that "thud" of him falling down. At 93, bones break easy. He is a happy guy and still has a sense of humor and good smile.

What comes around, goes around. He was a very good dad to me, I can return the favor.
Old 11-01-2013, 23:50   #1232

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Reminds me of my Mom. We used a bed sheet to tie her to a chair so she wouldn't slip out of the house! We learned this lesson when she executed a perfect escape, got into a car and drove to town (we lived in the country on a ranch). Once there she forgot why she came to town and how to get back to the ranch. Some very kind ladies found her sitting in the car crying and fortunately knew where our ranch was, so the brought her home to us.

When the time comes he has to go into a facility (and that time will come) choose it very carefully. So many of them are poorly run. Hospital affiliation is meaningless. We had Mom in a place run by the hospital and she was bed sore ridden. It was a nightmarish facility. Be careful which place you choose for sure.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:48   #1233
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you guys have more patience than do i. i admire you and your abilities to do what you are doing for your families. i ran like hell at first hint of trouble--after i did the heart thing with dad in `1986. (he is still among the living)....

i do admire you, and those others who are able to care for family members who are no longer quite in this reality.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:58   #1234

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Wow, googling Coconut oil and Dementia, there is some interesting reading.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:05   #1235

ok so more cocos for me......i enjoy these products of nature..
Old 26-01-2013, 10:33   #1236

Eh, not worth giving up the cocos Zee!
Old 26-01-2013, 11:11   #1237

Boat: Kristen 52

Okay, more coco's for me too .... if i can just remember where I put them......
Old 26-01-2013, 11:48   #1238

But where would the challenge be if you remembered ?!
Old 26-01-2013, 14:07   #1239

LOL...you guys are so fun....cocos are just over head, waiting for some unsuspecting passerby to wander by underneath them, and, BONK!!!--instant dementia....dont ye know--that is how cocos make dementia..rodlmao
Old 27-01-2013, 07:14   #1240

Boat: IRWIN KETCH 41

hello everyone, just like to say that the cruisers forum is one of the best web sites on the net. great people everywhere. i am trying to locate SSSSM as to read view and post. i am not sure where to access the members profiles and info. can you help?
Old 27-01-2013, 07:36   #1241

in your user cp, look for social groups. i have ye fill out the main cf profile, adding your status to the narrative..i still cant find the single sailors seeking soulmates profile section, meself... welcome and thankyou for your interest in our lil group!
Old 15-02-2013, 07:31   #1242

hope you all had a very enjoyable vd day....we went sailing to grande isle and had snorkeling fun in a lil cove that was exactly like some caribean coves i visited--beautiful clear turquoise water with brain coral outcroppings and white sand--awesome!!!!

ok--i showed mine--dont have pix of this, as i figgered to be made soaking wet by the dink driver friend of mine who always swamps me..
is a place not to be missed when cruising mexico, west coast.
Old 20-03-2013, 06:27   #1243

hay folks--been a while since we had activity here--since the last postings, we have had more requests to join--most without profiles, and some actually happily married souls seeking what ever i will not know a si rejected them.
i had to reject the ones who didnt fill out profiles--even the cf ones...so....we still be here--where is everyone!!!???
hope yáll are out sailing!!!
Old 20-03-2013, 06:37   #1244

Boat: Bayliner 2355, looking for a Whitby

we are out there somewhere in cyberspace talking about meeting people over the internet, and the crazy experiences that go with it. Although some lucky souls are out there sailing....:-)
Old 20-03-2013, 06:56   #1245

Boat: Catalina 34

No sailing here in the Boston area. Just snow and ice and slush.

Tags
paracelle