Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2012, 04:33   #151

Boat: 38' Hughes S&S design
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I hopped on a neighbor's boat today with my boat pole. His neighbor was backing down and already smacked into one boat, and was coming in to the shared slip.

Hopped on, and had to lean in a lot to keep the other boat from smashing in.

Who wouldn't want someone to do that for them? Some people would honestly rather deal with a collision than someone "violating" your property rights? Give it a rest. Sometimes people need to hop on your boat either because you're causing them a ton of problems or to safeguard your own vessel.

They're not hopping in bed with your daughter. They're helping you or just being a normal human. It's not the end of the world.

+1

I made an agreement with my neighbours that we can hope on each others boats if we need to adjust mooring lines, make adjusts or the like. One neighbour said I could borrow his lifejackets or any other equipment. He even said take a beer out of the fridge if we were short while we where at the boat. Like wise to him from me. Now thats what life on a boat is meant to be like. Fixing a rogue halyard is no issue.

Scott
scubascooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 23:44   #152

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart

They're not hopping in bed with your daughter. They're helping you or just being a normal human. It's not the end of the world.
Some cultures would give you two hundred goats if you did. Native Alaskans shared wives with strangers so no one froze in the night. Other cultures a woman openly smiles as a man, it is adultery and she is killed.

Likewise people seem to have extreme views on what is proper sailboat boarding. Those halyards would have to be just as noisy when the owner is around their boat, as it is when they are absent. If you really and truly cannot catch the guy with a noisy boat, a sealed envelope with a polite note inside saying you are a light sleeper just seems the polite way to go about a resolve.

200 goats on your slip, now that would be noisy! Lol
Old 19-07-2012, 00:18   #153
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Some cultures would give you two hundred goats if you did. Native Alaskans shared wives with strangers so no one froze in the night. Other cultures a woman openly smiles as a man, it is adultery and she is killed.

Likewise people seem to have extreme views on what is proper sailboat boarding. Those halyards would have to be just as noisy when the owner is around their boat, as it is when they are absent. If you really and truly cannot catch the guy with a noisy boat, a sealed envelope with a polite note inside saying you are a light sleeper just seems the polite way to go about a resolve.

200 goats on your slip, now that would be noisy! Lol
Though some boaters only visit their boat a couple of times a year...they might not even bother with reading it.
Old 19-07-2012, 12:16   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Though some boaters only visit their boat a couple of times a year...they might not even bother with reading it.
I guess one could always wrap the boat in shrink wrap. lol

I don't get to my boat every week. Usually I do, but not every week. If I came back to my boat, and there were extra ties, moved lines, things not as if I left them, I would wonder who was walking around on my boat.?

I would never get on another persons boat uninvited. Never. (unless a fire, or the boat was about to cause great harm to itself or another boat)

I remember a long time ago, my cell phone rings, and it is my house phone number on the caller ID. That left an odd feeling in my gut, as no one was home. My wife was with me, in my truck. I answered it, and it was someone I barely knew, had walked in my house, and wondered where we were. He wanted to go motorcycle ridding. We hot footed it home, and we never leave the house unlocked anymore. Our doors were locked, he jumped up on a deck in the back of our house (no stairs) and walked in a bedroom sliding glass door.
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 12:30   #155

Boat: Heritage East 40

I kinda like the sound.. comes with the view.

I am astounded at how many people want to trespass on a boat at mooring. There is a Marina Manager or Harbor Master. Just sayin
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 13:17   #156

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
I kinda like the sound.. comes with the view.

I am astounded at how many people want to trespass on a boat at mooring. There is a Marina Manager or Harbor Master. Just sayin
I agree, those around me know I wouldnt put up with someone getting on my boat without permision.. God Help the person that does........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 13:46   #157
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Those halyards would have to be just as noisy when the owner is around their boat, as it is when they are absent.
That's generally not the case. A weekender puts his boat away in ten knots of wind, and the halyards are not slatting. Three days later it pipes up to 25 knots, and the halyards are suddenly beating themselves to death.

Alternately, the weekender puts the boat away on Sunday in a westerly, and suddenly, on Tuesday, the wind backs to the south and the halyards begin to bang.

In either scenario, the weekender comes back next Saturday and the boat is quiet, and he wonders why someone put a bungee on his halyard.
Old 19-07-2012, 20:22   #158
Eternal Member

There was a boat at our marinia with thick moss (2") and ferns growing on it, the mooring lines were in such bad shape they looked like hey would fall off under their own weight (very old yellow poly line)....someone repaced all the line with heavy braided line with spliced ends....the owner went ballistic
Old 21-07-2012, 00:39   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee
There was a boat at our marinia with thick moss (2") and ferns growing on it, the mooring lines were in such bad shape they looked like hey would fall off under their own weight (very old yellow poly line)....someone repaced all the line with heavy braided line with spliced ends....the owner went ballistic
Normal functioning people would not abandon a boat like that. That would be aberrant.

Most people encountering non normal non functioning people and or their property would not take it upon themselves to start what would amount to boat repairs on these aberrant peoples property.

Your story has two highly odd and aberrant parties interacting with one persons personal abandoned property, and it is a surprise someone got angry?

Seems to me, much, if not all the issues found in this thread might be resolved in many of the cases by the managers of these facilities taking better control of the businesses they manage. If a dock, slip, marina has no active management that works to make boaters lives smooth running, we can see the result.

Thank you John, Mike and staff for making our harbor a save, efficient, and pleasant experience for everyone. On top of the professionals that keeps everything working perfectly, all my neighbors pitch in and help every chance they get. I purchased one neighbor several bottles of his favorite wine because he was always helping us.

People helping others, and employers, staff, and managers doing their jobs.

For the few people in this thread that deal with fungus, mold, rot, decay, noise, and little help from their marina to combat the problems, I guess all I can say, is I am sorry. Hope it all gets better for everyone.
Old 21-07-2012, 01:18   #160

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

so noddy moved next to me a year ago from the marina to the mooring, the sea weed is a meter long from his boat, I was servicing my boat had radio on but 6hs of that was like water torturer.

yes I dont live on my boat but i should be able to enjoy a day on my boat at my mooring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120721_141101.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	43800  

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 08:10   #161

Boat: Heritage East 40

Thread reminds me of the people who move next to an airport and then complain about the Jet Noise...

Slapping Halyards, Water slap agains the hull, clanging bells, sea gull cries, whale farts, are ALL a part of the lifestyle.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 16:23   #162

I bet this boat does not get much attention from the owners.

The aquatic plant life is keeping the halyards quiet, and from damaging the mast. Good plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	furgetabouitit.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	43814  
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 19:01   #163

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I bet this boat does not get much attention from the owners.

The aquatic plant life is keeping the halyards quiet, and from damaging the mast. Good plan.
That's amazing! Major Cormorant perching going on there. As far as neglected boats not the norm...not in the marina I'm in. I've been in it for 5 months. About 70% of the sailboats haven't seen attention for at least a year as I can tell. Some nice boats too. I'll be there for another few months before moving to a livelier marina in the SF bay.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 19:53   #164
Eternal Member

One of the neighboring marinas requires you keep your boat "clean and presentable at all times" (you are also not allowed to wash the boat in the slip)...the people the keep their boat there are the sort that can afford to take their boat somewhere and pay to have it regularly detailed.
Old 21-07-2012, 20:03   #165

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
One of the neighboring marinas requires you keep your boat "clean and presentable at all times" (you are also not allowed to wash the boat in the slip).
Can't wash your boat in the slip?...Why not?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote