Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2011, 01:52   #1

Sailing schools in Gibraltar

Hi - new to this forum and looking to undertake a tidal dayskipper qualification as part of a sabbatical in August. I'm looking to train with a sailing school in Gibraltar but am not sure which one to go with. Has anyone had experience of any of the following:-
Straits sailing school
All-Abroad
Hot liquid
Trafalgar sailing
It would be useful to hear any feedback as i'm not sure who to use, prices are all quite similar. I'm also looking to undertake the theory course
Cheers
markspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 03:30   #2

Boat: Gaff Schooner 45' - Talisman of Fambridge
Re: Sailing schools in Gibraltar

Hi Mark,

All of the schools you list offer the RYA Day Skipper course. This course is delivered to a standard set by the RYA.
The RYA allow schools to offer a range of Day Skipper Tidal Courses:
Theory and / or Practical

Both Theory and Practical courses should be 5 days long. The practical course should take you to a different port each night.
Both of these courses may be offered over two weekends (usually a 2 and then a three day weekend)

The RYA also allow schools to offer a 9 day combined Day Skipper "Fastrack" course. This course consists of 4 days in the class room followed by 5 days on board the vessel. Normally run from Sat to a week Sunday. In my opinion as an RYA Instructor these particular course format gets the best results for the students as the theory is put into immediate practise.

I must at this point express an interest, I work for "Hot Liquid" not in Gib' but at their Southampton School. I like working for Hot Liquid they have a good attitude to both staff and clients. The boats are clean and well kept, the Gib' base manager is an experienced sailor with a good social attitude (RYA Practical Sailing Courses in Gibraltar: Hot Liquid Sailing Ltd).

Please PM me if I can be of any help.

Simes

Tags
Gibraltar, sailing