Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: I would rather...
Live in civilization 13 19.40%
Live in the wilderness 26 38.81%
Live on a deserted island 22 32.84%
Undecided 6 8.96%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2010, 11:01   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
The big problem for nearly anybody would be the boredom (no TV, no beer, no nothing to entertain the spoiled mind).

And then would come some pangs of consciousness: 'oh by G., I am not working, I am not saving for my retirement, I want to have babies (with whom - with the monkey?), I am not attending the wholly mess ...'.

No, really, I think it is an academic discussion really.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 11:07   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I'm not sure I get your point Barnie. I don't have a TV, make my own beer, I'm endlessly entertained by making music, reading books and watching nature. We haven't genetically evolved into couch potatoes yet

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 12:08   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Alone in the Wild - 4oD - Channel 4
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 17:01   #34

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I'm not sure I get your point Barnie. I don't have a TV, make my own beer, I'm endlessly entertained by making music, reading books and watching nature. We haven't genetically evolved into couch potatoes yet
I am sorry - my English is a process.

What I wanted to express is the fact that 99.9% of the (s.c. civilised) population would die of boredom if they were to live in the wild. The remaining 0.1% would die too, along with the bored sort - of starvation, infections and other such likes.

I think people like some Polynesians from the smaller atolls (e.g.) do not get bored and cope because this is their world. But any Westerner (and Easterner) put in the same place would have an orgasmic moment of ecstasy followed by weeks and months of boredom, infections and scurvy.

We simply do not have the mindset, nor the skills, necessary to live the way life is in a remote location, without the support of the society.

I hope this time I made it clearer.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 17:13   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I guess then it's a question of what is civilized and what is wilderness. To throw off all vestiges of a culture and walk into the woods anywhere where nature is still wild would be foolhardy and always has been. That's why humans developed civilization. However wilderness can be lived in quite comfortably, depending on where it is and how prepared you are.

Boredom is a personal thing. Some of what passes as civilization holds no facination for me. Some of it I find very satisfying. I don't get bored in wild settings and have lived extended periods in them but I haven't and wouldn't go unprepared.

Real civilization can be as hard to find as true wilderness.

Old 27-10-2010, 20:50   #36

Car loads of provisioning has taken a toll, her bulging waistline is setting low. Her bottom is cold and she is eager to leave. The warm tropic water is what we all need. Yes she is my island for 12 months of the year, it's all in the hull of the one you hold dear.
Old 27-10-2010, 21:02   #37

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I want to live in total seclusion in the wilderness where all YOU people are MILES from me.
I also want hot showers, a dishwasher and a convenient Supermarket with quality international cheese and deli section.

and ice-cream
Don’t forget your obligatory internet connection so you don’t die of loneliness!

Unless of course we are talking some hospitable little island off Tahiti where the women practice the old sexual rites? Then personally I could skip the outside world for a while.
Old 27-10-2010, 21:20   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
The book is superior to the movie. It tells the "expanded" story of Farley's first assignment as an naturalist working for the Canadian government and will have you in stitches.
Although Farley Mowat is a good writer, he is an acknowledge fake. He has NO scientific credentials at all, and admits that a little thing like the truth will never get in his way of a good story.

He spent less then a week seeing wolves; I have seen more in the wild than he did, and I can guarantee you I know squat about them except that all those sharp teeth eat a lot of moose.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 21:30   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Although Farley Mowat is a good writer, he is an acknowledge fake. He has NO scientific credentials at all, and admits that a little thing like the truth will never get in his way of a good story.

He spent less then a week seeing wolves; I have seen more in the wild than he did, and I can guarantee you I know squat about them except that all those sharp teeth eat a lot of moose.
I guess it depends on whose version you believe. Yes, Farley said the bit about not "not letting the truth get in the way of a good story" but the while the Toronto Star claimed he spent 90 hours (an unsubstantiated claim) studying the wolves Saturday Night printed an article saying he spent only a month at the wolf den which Farley has never refuted. He did study biology at the Univeristy of Toronto, however, he is undoubtably a writer. Do have something to support your claims?

Old 27-10-2010, 21:54   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
I guess it depends on whose version you believe. Yes, Farley said the bit about not "not letting the truth get in the way of a good story" but the while the Toronto Star claimed he spent 90 hours (an unsubstantiated claim) studying the wolves Saturday Night printed an article saying he spent only a month at the wolf den which Farley has never refuted. He did study biology at the Univeristy of Toronto, however, he is undoubtably a writer. Do have something to support your claims?
Here are some facts written up at the University of Waterloo, with footnoted references. Mowat studied Arts at the U of T, not biology. He worked under a biologist in the NWT, but got fired because of a his poor scientific protocol and work ethic.

I said he was a good writer, but for anyone to suggest that his work remotely reflects anything scientific would surprise those who understand what peer reviewed science really is.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 02:11   #41
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
it would be too obvious an answer to allow islands that float, and have sails
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 02:27   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I think mental problems like introversion, depression, etc would be the biggest threat...
On a 47day non-stop trip (my 1st ever crossing) I found myself beclamed (34/35/36th days) for three damp dreary days and introspection had me by the nuts... going over past life and 'mistakes'... got into the 'Donald Crowhurst' mode to such an extent I was considering stepping over the side... luckily some dolphins came along and pulled me back together... with quite a few tears.
I've done a 40 dayer since then and no problems at all... but then I now know where not to go voyaging.... too many reefs in my mind....

MarkJ... your first long solo mate... concentrate on the day and whats to come... forget whats past and cannot be changed... and the same to anyone else on 1st solo voyage

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 03:22   #43
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
These days I prefer a civilized wilderness where I can enjoy my desserts.

Islands are a nice place to visit but unless you bring more than one volley ball, it can get very lonely.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 03:36   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Islands are a nice place to visit but unless you bring more than one volley ball, it can get very lonely.
You also need a nude lady to hold the beach ball in a "strategic" place and pose for the photo you'll be posting on the net....

mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 04:35   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What I wanted to express is the fact that 99.9% of the (s.c. civilised) population would die of boredom if they were to live in the wild. The remaining 0.1% would die too, along with the bored sort - of starvation, infections and other such likes.
By your logic then we (humanity) would not have made it out of the trees and into our boats, comfy houses, and fast moving cars.

I'm about ready to take my chances against starvation, infections, and other such likes.
Rolf the Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote