Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 19:52   #1

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Jeanne Socrates Injured

For those of you who are interested in Jeanne and her record attempts, she has been injured in a fall from a boatyard ladder.

See more at: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic...ate=2017-10-02

Here's hoping she heals fast and well.

Ann
Old 05-10-2017, 20:31   #2

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon
Re: Jeanne Socrates Injured

Amazing woman She is a wealth of information about solo navigation..
Old 05-10-2017, 23:56   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It's sad to hear of this, though good in that it didn't happen offshore. Which, the latter type of accident is something all of us should think about when preparing medically for voyages.

That said, I still utterly cannot fathom why she's repeatedly waited until so late in the year to head south from BC. As from now until late spring, frequent, vicious storms are the norm off of the North Coast.
I can't say as I've fully read her blog, or kept track of this since last year, but does anyone have insights as to the reasoning behind late departure dates?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:47   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
It's sad to hear of this, though good in that it didn't happen offshore. Which, the latter type of accident is something all of us should think about when preparing medically for voyages.

That said, I still utterly cannot fathom why she's repeatedly waited until so late in the year to head south from BC. As from now until late spring, frequent, vicious storms are the norm off of the North Coast.
I can't say as I've fully read her blog, or kept track of this since last year, but does anyone have insights as to the reasoning behind late departure dates?
As best I can understand it she is of the belief, as are others, that there is a magic 'window' only a few weeks in length for rounding the Horn.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:51   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
As best I can understand it she is of the belief, as are others, that there is a magic 'window' only a few weeks in length for rounding the Horn.
That I can understand, but it's quite common to speed up or slow down enroute to a destination or "waypoint" in order to well time one's arrival. Particularly if/when doing so means avoiding gales or worse elsewhere along your route.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:11   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
she has been injured in a fall from a boatyard ladder.

Most dangerous piece of equipment in a boat yard.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:13   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

@#&^ ladders. I know several people who were injured on boatyard ladders. I urge older folks to use special caution. And please secure the damned thing at the top!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:39   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
@#&^ ladders. I know several people who were injured on boatyard ladders. I urge older folks to use special caution. And please secure the damned thing at the top!
There but for the grace of God go I. My boat has been on the hard for six months, in a shed, with me working on it daily. I must go up and down the 12' step ladder a dozen times a day or more, and the floor is concrete. And then there is working on the deck itself without lifelines...

You have to be mindful of every step you take. One moment of distraction and it could all end poorly.

Hope she recovers quickly.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:06   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Hope she recovers soon and well!

Tight timing of boatyard jobs so close to planned departure. Rush is never good for the system.

It may imply she will not be able to depart this year again. Making her chances of becoming 'the oldest' even bigger.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 13:01   #10

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Until recently, I'd never broken a bone in my life, and I'm 58. Flew airplanes single pilot IFR, rode motorcycles, climbed 500' communication towers, and recently started restoration of a 28' sailboat.

While scraping out toe rail caulking standing on a folding ladder on uneven ground, (all my own fault) the ladder fell, me with it. Hit my head on the steel trailer beam - that just raised a big lump, but fully broke a vertebra in my back. 30 days into it and am just now beginning to slowly walk without pain pills.
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 13:29   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Boat yards are indeed dangerous places. We know way more yotties who have suffered serious injuries in yards than those who have come to grief while sailing. I suspect it is because most of us don't spend much time in such environments and have little instinctive appreciation for the hazards. Also, we tend to work hard and long whilst on the hard, and exhaustion erodes our competence.

I'm kinda fond of Jeanne (who we met in Hobart a few years back) and admire her endurance if not her planning skills. I'm a couple of years older than her, and know that I've lost a lot of the physical abilities I formerly enjoyed. I won't comment on the wisdom of her planned voyage, but it is her life, her boat and her decision... I wish her a rapid recovery and that she finds a satisfactory solution to her desire vs reality issues.

Jim
Old 11-10-2017, 10:55   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

It looks like Jeanne will be leaving hospital today to stay with friends. She was scheduled to leave tomorrow but the hospital bed she requires couldn't be delivered in time. She is in a neck brace but had a big smile. Merrie Bergman posted on her facebook page.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 17:57   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
It looks like Jeanne will be leaving hospital today to stay with friends. She was scheduled to leave tomorrow but the hospital bed she requires couldn't be delivered in time. She is in a neck brace but had a big smile. Merrie Bergman posted on her facebook page.
Thanks for the update, DeepFrz.

I'm wondering whether she'll still try and leave this season.

Ann
Old 11-10-2017, 19:57   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I'm just guessing Ann but I think she will probably miss her window now. In fact its already very late in the season. She took a beating last year (I think it was last year) going down the west coast. Whatever, I wish her all the best in her recovery.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 22:15   #15

Boat: Skookum 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Most dangerous piece of equipment in a boat yard.
That and my @ss. I kid you not… I took all the stanchions and lifelines off to repaint the decks. I bent down to inspect something and my butt hit the side of the coachroof. The force sent me hurtling off over the side. Luckily I was able to catch myself, but it was damn close.

Every year I head down to the yard I hear of someone who fell off their boat, ladder, or scaffolding. Dangerous indeed.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote