Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2009, 10:42   #16

You might try malewrebytes. It is a free download that will protect you if you do not already have the trojan. Also spybot is pretty good.

Seems like lots of it comes from facebook.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 13:27   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I like the “avast!” ‘Home Edition’ free virus protection; and my IT guru endorses the 'professional' ($) version.
Download FREE antivirus software - avast! Home Edition

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 13:35   #18

Chief

it's not so terrible as it might look - a FakeAlert trojan.
Easiest way to get rid of this:
1) download a DrWeb CureIt! (it's free) on a healthy PC
2) write it on a USB flash & protect it from record
3) reboot infected PC in Safe Mode
4) Run CureIt! from flash
5) You're laughing (c)
vacendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 06:19   #19
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
You might try malewrebytes.
Little typo there. Should be malwarebytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongaboys View Post
If you have to use Microsoft OS, this is what I would do. First don't use Internet Explorer, download Firefox and install as a browser.

1. Open Firefox/tools/preferences/ select privacy tab/untick cookies (enable only when you need to or when asked to, ie banking, signing on to CF etc) and select 'keep cookies until I close firefox'/ tick 'clear history when firefox closes'

2. When generally surfing the internet, disable java script.../Select content tab/ untick both java boxes(this can stop your problem 'Reality Check'), only activate java if required, ie banking or signing on to CF etc.

3. Never open email you don't know who it's comes from, delete it unopen, even better open your email at your IP's site (MS email downloader I would never trust). Anything you download, ie programs always scan with your anti-spy/virus,'Reality Check' don't 'push/click here' on any web page!!..... Gee, sorry but this is only the basics I used to keep control, (last used Windozes 3 years ago).
On Windoze XP, I use Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird for e-mail. Norton for virus protection. Windoze firewall. I automatically download XP updates. I manually install them as soon as convenient.

I leave cookies on, java on, read my e-mail on the computer, etc. I download lots of open source and other freeware just to try it.

I have the potential for lots of spam because my e-mail address is registered with my website domain. And my e-mail address is posted on most of my web pages. But it appears my mail providers have pretty good spam filters. I only get about 10 spams a day. I DO try to delete without opening.

Basically what I am saying is that I think I have a pretty high exposure to viruses, but I have not had a virus in so long I can't remember. Seems like it was on Windoze 95.

I think most of the preventative measures in the above post are unnecessary.

I would suggest using Firefox and Thunderbird. Mostly because if the virus depends on a browser or e-mail client vulnerability, they are probably targeting MS products. And use a good virus protection and a good firewall. Most people should configure Windoze updater to automatically install updates.

Mainly look closely at what you click. Be careful what you download. Before I download anything, I google the file name to see what comments there are in forums and reviews. Then google the website for comments about that.

Many people think they must have a virus because of degraded performance. For performance tuning, try the following periodically (depending on level of use, about about once a week should work). Use something like CCleaner to clean up cookies and defunct registry entries. Run the Windoze dick cleanup. Under "More Options", click "Clean Up" in the "System Restore" section. Then run a defrag. I use JKDefrag.

BUT, maybe I am just lucky? The suggestions in the above post may be just what some people need.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 07:05   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Guys, don't delude yourselves about the latest "secure" software. Mozilla maintains a list of known (past) vulnerabilities and regularly issues security updates, patches, and new versions. Just like every other browser, inclduing MSIE.

THERE IS NO SAFE WAY TO USE A MODERN BROWSER UNLESS YOU KNEECAP IT. By which I mean, you have to shut down, disable, and uninstall all the of "active technologies" including Java, JavaScript, Active-X, and the Flash player (which is notoriously dangerous but drives half the video on the web). And that's just for a start, because folks routinely push attacks through active technologies, and that will usually work despite the browser you are using.

Antivirus products are also problematic, AVG and Symantec are infamous for locking up and crashing computers in between patch versions, which are sometimes hidden in the daily or weekly updates along with the virus list updates. Any AV product is arguably better than none--but none of them is perfect. If you want to block virus and malware attacks in your email, you do it by securing your email settings. You disable automatic running of attachments (as Microsoft has set the defaults in their new Mail client, causing everyone to bitch at them for doing so) and you set the default to reading messages as TEXT not HTML because HTML can have those nasty malware technologies in it. And because you are a responsible citizen, you also set your mail client to USE PLAIN TEXT as the default outgoing format. No HTML in or out, and now you are secure from that attack vector.
And, you also generate only 20% as much data in each email. HTML email is a bloated hog, not just a diseased one.

Nothing you can buy in the store can help you more than simply understanding that you ARE the man behind the curtain, and "safe hex" won't happen unless you understand what really makes it work.

Every platform, every OS, every product out there has security flaws. The biggest one is the untrained user, pushing all the shiny buttons to make things glitzy.

And "Windows Defender" ? Don't talk about that and antivirus in the same mouthful. That's like comparing sails to shrouds. They're totally different things, with different purposes. Microsoft was court ordered to stay out of the AV business, but claims they will be back into it next year with a free integrated product of some sort. Next year.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote