Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2007, 07:01   #16

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
WOW!
Only my second post here and I get chastised as below for making an innocuous joke about being "in favor of global warming".

Looks like not a very welcoming or friendly group...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
It has nothing to do with Anti anything. It is the fact that the past has proven that these topics cannot be discussed here without Political and Personal argument breaking out. Take the replies to Northencats post at the top as a prime example. In this instance, I would say Northerncats post is acceptable, although shaky, but the replies imediatley take it over the edge. If it wasn't those replies, it would soon be something else.

Politics is not what this site is about. Many members have voiced concern over these subjcts of late and we will endevour to uphold those concerns. This site is about boating and boating it shall remain.

In regards to "Off topic" please read the guidline. It say's that the Off Topic forum subjects are still to be loosly based around boating. This Off topic forum is for subjects that have no catergory elsewhere.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 07:12   #17

Boat: Bavaria 40, 12, 48 meters
By danger of being called the "teacher's pet"... I applaud Alan for deleting the initial post; nothing good can come from these kind of topics. The American population is more divided than ever and since we sailors are part of the society so are we. Most political forums show that even moderate views shift towards more extreme positions during a "discussion". sociologists or psychologists can explain this phenomenon scientifically, I am neither.

I am a boater and do not give a hoot what some British judge says. I am proud that an American won the Nobel prize for peace.
Morski Krastavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 07:12   #18

I don't presume to be a climate scientist. But it appears that the jury is in (scientists) on global warming and human induced climate change. It's real and we need to do something about it.

Is there misinformation out there? Sure.

Who knows how the deliberation for Nobel prizes are done? It's a weird idea to try to pick the best novel or the best anything as they are often comparing apples and oranges.

I don't care that Gore and the UN group won the prize for "peace". I do care that we take care of the planet we live on so that we don't destroy it. How can anyone dispute that sort of awareness of the big picture?

There is a notion that there are self correcting mechanisms at work in the complex biosphere of the earth. But this meme assumes that the corrections are made to be suitable to the eco systems and biology that we now live in. This may be just hubris.

The earth will survive most likely to support living matter. It's just may not be the mix which can support humanity as we know it.

Our planet has seen extinctions and the evolution of the species. This process in not going to stop. It seemed to have been driven by NATURAL events. But perhaps humans can drive the conditions which result in significant changes. It sure seems so. Doesn't it?

I suspect the Nobel group feels the world needs to get going on a global effort to moderate the harmful effects of humans on our ecosystem and awarded the prize to drawn attention to the issue. It worked.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 10:08   #19
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
S/V Illusion - You can choose to interpret posts anyway you want. Or, you can consider that you've posted a whole 4 posts and you may not understand the rules and proper parameters that this forum strives for.

On the other hand, I would be willing to bet that Alan, with about 5,400 posts and being an Administrator of this forum, has a pretty good idea of what is appropriate. MY SUGGESTION would be to not take it so personally and, if you do think the comment was directed AT you, to take it to heart and understand that we are here for boating related issues - not Political agendas, or personal attacks.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 12:01   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
What Thomas has just said!.
And to make it very clear to all. NOBODY! has been singled out. It was the entire thread judged as a whole that got it pulled. Infact, it was the obviouse direction it looked as if it was heading that got it pulled. Maybe or maybe it wouldn't have headed where I considered it would, I will never know. But as Thomas has suggested, it is the experiance of being here for some time that made my decision. Many occasions, we as the "team" have hesitated in pulling a discussion, (We abhore censorship like everyone else)only to wish afterwards we had intervened earlier.

I can assure you all, that if an idvidual has made an "against the rules" post, they will be notified. If you have not been notified, then you can rest assured you have not violated the rules. So for S/V Illusion, No, it was not your joke that was the issue or reason it was pulled. It was the possible future replies based on past experiance. Please do not take it personaly.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 08:28   #21

What is that old saying.... "All evil men need to succeed is for good men to do nothing"....or something like that....
Capct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 09:08   #22

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Al Gore went looking for an agenda that would keep him in the light. Good work when you can get it. The fact that North America is no longer covered with ice suggests Global Moderation. There is little we can really do about this at the current pace of mankind but we can keep the discourse relevent and civil. Thanks Alan.

Not many hurricanes this year Hurray! Wonder why?

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 11:08   #23

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Not many hurricanes this year Hurray! Wonder why?
The earth's weather doesn't know what year it is. It doesn't have a schedule or routine. The only guarantee is it will change as soon as it predicted. Even as advanced as todays computers are, they still can't replicate the variables of weather patterns for more then a few hours. And then another simulation has to be programed with new data.

For Seattle, this has been our wettest summer since 1997. But is was a lot worse in the late 60's and early 70's. The year I was born was the wettest on record (55" +) Here, we call it global wetting.
Old 15-10-2007, 11:18   #24
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
What comes after two solid days of rain in Seattle?

Monday
==================================================

But seriously, here is a very interesting subject that I recently learned about:
High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder if those Global Warming models include HAARP?
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 11:28   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Now that brings up a good question. Just how "believable" are the facts on wikipedia?? If I understand it correctly, the info published on Wikipedia are articles published by the broader community, all be it, maybe those that are very knowledgable, but how is to be judged that piece of factual information is indeed fact?? Or do I have the wrong ussumption.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 12:03   #26

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Now that brings up a good question. Just how "believable" are the facts on wikipedia??
Research, research, research, non-discriminate! Believe what you may! And most base truth on personal experiences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth
Old 15-10-2007, 12:30   #27

Yah know... I have to start this post by stating that I don't care for Algore very much. However, what strikes me as odd is that those that cite science as the rationale for bashing Gore's position make the same mistake he makes by citing science to imply he is wrong.

Gore may turn out to be correct. There is absolutely no way to prove or disprove his conclusion with the tincee wincee amount of data from which to draw hypothesis. His assertions may not be factual but pointing that out does not mean the conclusion is necessarily incorrect.

His approach to implement change is a complete joke... Carbon Credits PFFFFFTTTT.

On a side note, are there marinas where people don't get drunk on Friday and Saturday night and start pumping raw ***** in to the water at 3AM?

I thought sailors would be amongst the most environmentally conscious people around...
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 12:34   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Now that brings up a good question. Just how "believable" are the facts on wikipedia??
Wikipedia can provide a good starting point for research, but should never be relied upon as the final factual authority.
It’s especially useful for providing additional search terms.
Go to first sources, whenever possible.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 12:38   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh1965 View Post
Yah know... I have to start this post by stating that I don't care for Algore very much. However, ...
I'm not certain, and probably don't care, what you "know", but this forum is NOT the place to discuss how much (or little) you care for public personages.
Please - keep the partisan politics out of our forum.

Old 15-10-2007, 12:42   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh1965 View Post
1... what strikes me as odd is that those that cite science as the rationale for bashing Gore's position make the same mistake he makes by citing science to imply he is wrong...
2... I thought sailors would be amongst the most environmentally conscious people around...
1. What, other than “science” should one cite, when discussing scientific issues?
2. I agree, but then, who shouldn't be - we ALL live in the environment?