Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2007, 18:13   #181

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
A little late, but about the poles switching, I've heard(only a theory) that it's already beginning to happen, one example of it happening might be the odd magnetic fluctuations happening around places like the Bermuda Triangle(and what I heard to be a partner anomoly almost directly on the other side of the globe from the bermuda triangle, but I've never heard of it aside from my source for this theory)

Also, the magnetic north pole has over the last few decades moved several hundred miles towards Russia and seems to be speeding up.

As for the global warming issue, well. I saw a picture taken in the 60s by an apollo spacecraft headed towards the moon. It was taken in July and showed the earth and you could clearly see the ice from the north pole extending all the way down to northern canada. These days the ice in the north pole melts in the summer to the point where it's simply broken up pieces of ice and there were reports of at one point NO ice at the north pole at all. If that doesn't say it's getting warmer, I don't know what will.

As for what's causing it, I won't get into it, it's already probably been covered here somewhere by someone who's more sure than I am
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 21:30   #182

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
"You live right at the end of the Strait's, don't you? That's one of the windest anchorage's I've spent the night, right by Coupeville..........._/ "

I'm in Lagoon Point on the West side of Whidbey. It's halfway between the Keystone Ferry and Bush Point.

I went out for a sail this afternoon and took a friend. We had Northwest wind at about 16 knots true. We sailed with jib and one reef in the main across to Indian Island, gybed, took out the reef and put up the chute. While sailing a reach five miles or so down to Mutiny Bay we hit 17.5 knots, averaging about 14. Coming home we had a reef and a partially furled jib, averaging 9.5.

I've never anchored in Coupeville, it's on the East side of the island, and about ten miles North of me.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 20:34   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluissa
A little late, but about the poles switching, I've heard(only a theory) that it's already beginning to happen, one example of it happening might be the odd magnetic fluctuations happening around places like the Bermuda Triangle(and what I heard to be a partner anomoly almost directly on the other side of the globe from the bermuda triangle, but I've never heard of it aside from my source for this theory)
Ahem!!

That anomolous partner, would be the Devil's Triangle. Off the coasts of Japan and Taiwan.

If you would get a hold of a world globe. And punch a needle the the dead center of the Bermuda Triangle. It would come out in the center of what is the area called the Devil's Triangle.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:41   #184

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainK
If you would get a hold of a world globe. And punch a needle the the dead center of the Bermuda Triangle. It would come out in the center of what is the area called the Devil's Triangle.
Both are above the equator so you would not be going through the center, right?
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:49   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida
Both are above the equator so you would not be going through the center, right?
What I mean to say is.

When you punch the needle through the globe. It shows exactly the other side opposite of the world from each others location.

Know you see what I was trying to explain?

I never mentioned anything about traveling through or around them locations.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 05-06-2007, 11:43   #186

Boat: Sceptre 41
Shift Happens

Very Interesting Statistics
www.kloosh.com
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 15:26   #187

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainK
What I mean to say is.

When you punch the needle through the globe. It shows exactly the other side opposite of the world from each others location.
I think. Where I was coming from is that the Indian Ocean off Perth is on the other side of the world from Miami.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 16:45   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida
I think. Where I was coming from is that the Indian Ocean off Perth is on the other side of the world from Miami.
Hmmmm?

Not on the same side of the equator.

But in my photo gallery page. I have this. http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2084&c=500&userid=1545

There is a triangle off the coast of Western Australia. You are right about that one being there.

Old 05-06-2007, 21:08   #189

Bit off topic of this thread: it is pretty easy to calculate the opposite points on the globe: to get latitude switch N latitude to S (and vise-versa), then subtract longitude from 180 and switch E and W.

As for global warming (I know I am too opinionated): everybody who thinks that releasing millions of tons of various pollutants into (almost) enclosed system every single day, while at the same time destroying system’s ability to remove and neutralize these pollutants, has no effect on the system is an idiot and/or is blinded by their vested interest that puts profit and personal convenience ahead of everything else. Yes, volcanoes do produce pollutants, but people contribute significantly. Do you think that US government doesn’t know? They know very well. For years. But government’s primary business is to protect big corporations and their profit (or at least those who bribe them), everything else is secondary. Not being American, I do not understand why republicans are so to the left on the issue, even left of dems. Stalin would be proud of them (just look at his environmental record). I always saw lack of environment awarness as ultra-liberal issue (=use and destroy as liberaly as you need.) Doesn’t ‘conservative’ come from ‘conserve’=preserve? I would expect conservatives to be leaders on the issue (but then, republicans nowadays are not really conservative). Isn’t preserving life on earth important for republicans, only profit?
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 22:32   #190

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Let's say we leave politics out of the discussion, OK!
The "Cruisers Forum" will be a happier place!
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 19:47   #191

Bamboo...with respect to Delmarry, I'll leave your slurs aside and say the YOU have it all wrong. This is about Global Warming...not pollution...and we are talking about Co2 NOT pollutants.
Lots of "Republicans" hate pollution but DENY that there is man-made global warming. The 2 positions are not inconsistent.
I'm beginning to think that part of the CO2 scam is because it is a by product of car engine combustion and by focusing on warming...if you can stop people driving you can also cut pollution as a by product of fighting global warming. Wrong Approach and dishonest. Fight pollution by setting standards and enforcing them....around the world...not just here. Fight global warming by figuring out how to slow the sun down a bit...or just adapt to the natural cycle.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 22:50   #192
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
The G8 summit has got underway. One of the hot topics is Global warming. Interestingly, the summit will produce aprox. 30,000tonnes of Co2. Over 7,000Tonnes will be produced just going to and from the airport.
That is, if the news story in our news paper can be trusted.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 20:03   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
Let's say we leave politics out of the discussion, OK!
The "Cruisers Forum" will be a happier place!
It probably would be happier, but it is unclear to me how you can leave politics out of a thread titled "Climate Change". The bulk of the discussion here is political.
Old 07-06-2007, 20:18   #194

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
As long as it doesn't violate the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RULES
Objectionable content
  • Slander or libelous remarks or comments.
  • Personal inflammatory remarks or comments.
  • Hurtful or disparaging remarks or comments whether personal, racial or politically motivated will absolutely not be tolerated and deleted immediately without notice.
  • Directly misleading information, remarks or comments.

Mentioning or suggesting a persons name and /or false info (not provable) is what the rules apply to. Most political statements fall into this category.

Talking about what a government is (not) doing does not!

I hope that makes it a little more transparent......................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 14:11   #195
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
the summit will produce aprox. 30,000tonnes of Co2. Over 7,000Tonnes will be produced just going to and from the airport.
That is, if the news story in our news paper can be trusted.
As reasonable people with a least half-scale brains, let's just think about these numbers being stated. Just a rough calculation here assuming all the carbon content of jet fuel results in carbon dioxide and ignoring mass of O2...

1gal jet fuel/21 lbs C x 30000tC x 2000lbs/t = 2,857,142 gallons of jet fuel

In 2005, the daily world-wide consumption of jet fuel was 81,350,000 gallons.

As such, they are claiming that it requires 3.5% of the total daily world wide consumption of jet fuel to deliver people to and from the G8.

And you wonder why there are those of us who question the whole global warming debate.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote