Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2008, 03:48   #16
cruiser

This post should be deleted. Don't turn Wheels' comeback thread into another fiasco filled with jerks, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
To put it simply, MR. WHEELER made an honest comment about a thread being the stupidest comment ever made on this forum. Everybody that read the thread probably would agree with that comment. The thread went thusly, has been simplified to save space
Mr Joe owns a big house, a lot of property, and a $400k boat, what does the value have to do with anything..I digress, anyway, he as a tax paying citizen, a local member of the public, moors his boat at the local mooring field all year long and that way leaves dock space available for everyone else...IS THIS RIGHT for him to do.. i.e. makes this the srupidest question posted on this forum
Old 13-07-2008, 03:51   #17
cruiser

Suggestion:

Forums will always have some political ranting going on. It's the nature of conversation.

What other forums do (not sailing or cruising) is dedicate a little corner of real estate to it so it doesn't infiltrate the rest of the board. This keeps cruising and sailing talk on topic, but allows a spot for people to get things off their chests.

So, create a spot called "political poo" or something, and relegate all the heavy threads or posts into there. This way, a user can opt not to read through 12 pages of opinions on the global economy to get to the point of anchoring or some other thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
is there a time out on posting?....cant be bothered doing it again. preci of 300 words +.......fact is the site is turning into a whole pile of " i would like to cruise" people, and losing all the, "I have cruised and am willing to share with you my experiences." There are many who are notable by their absence. This is creating a very distorted picture of cruising.
Ok new guys with questions, talk amongst yourselves. Or perhaps get served up a google answer or two./ Lets throw in politics and money.....What the hell happened to the importance of sailing?
New person scans through the topics of discussion and decides cruising is not for them....after all the most debated topics are....The site is losing its relevance. It is becoming a chat line....Blunt perhaps...Over to you Andy....Quantity or quality.. cruising site?
Old 13-07-2008, 03:57   #18

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
is there a time out on posting?....cant be bothered doing it again. preci of 300 words +
Type it up in a word processor first, then you can just paste it in.

Quote:
Lets throw in politics
What politics is here? Aren't those threads shut down?

Quote:
and money
Is money not relevant to cruising? Do we cruise broke?

Quote:
What the hell happened to the importance of sailing?
There are plenty of contributions here about sailing etc, am I wrong?

Quote:
New person scans through the topics of discussion and decides cruising is not for them
Not if the topics are organized. You'll note that this one is in the "off topic forum".
Old 13-07-2008, 03:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
This site has lost a good contributor if Wheels stays away and will be the poorer for it.
Brother, I feel your pain & it runs deep... very deep
Old 13-07-2008, 04:04   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Much ado about nothing

I disagree with Sanata and applaud Sean for trying to minimise this silliness.

However, Alan did make a very personal remark against Sean and if anyone else had made that remark, Alan would have been the first to chastise them for their bad manners…
My reaction when I read it was exactly Charlie’s comment” Wheels I think that was a bit over the top saying that was the dumbest question

Alan’s second post was not an apology but a backhanded confirmation. It needed censure and whatever happened internally to cause Alan to depart seems to be based on a clash of wills (or ego) between the rules of posting and Alan’s stubbornness.

The irony of this is that Alan wrote quite elegantly a while back about the value of this Forum, where people with the cruising bug made “friendships” worldwide and that was ultimately more important than the knowledge gained thru networking.

When friends make a mistake, a good friend will tell them. Alan, I think your friends have told you that and I for one hope that when the waters settle down and you take a break, you will realise you have many friends in this Forum and will return.
Old 13-07-2008, 04:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Alan’s second post was not an apology but a backhanded confirmation. It needed censure
"Fair enough, dumb question may not have been the best choice of words and it wasn't meant as a personal attack."

"backhanded"??? "censure"???

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=179893&postcount=29
Old 13-07-2008, 04:32   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz View Post
"Fair enough, dumb question may not have been the best choice of words and it wasn't meant as a personal attack."

"backhanded"??? "censure"???

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...3&postcount=29
I agree with Sean that we should let this just calm down but in all accuracy exfishnz the next line by Alan was...."It is a very dumb question if....... if it was that Sully was using "$400K boat"

Lets just "forgetaboutit !!"
Old 13-07-2008, 04:35   #23

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Come Baaaacckkkk!!!!

Wheels,

I'm a newbie and not so long ago my first post in regards to replating my hull with 5mm you told me unless I was going to the North Pole it was ridicoulos.
I admit it- I sat there thinking you bloody bugger how dare you tell me I'm mad- I already know that.But I am not that precious to stew on a few words plus you got me thinking and this is what this forum is or should be about.
Getting the thought juices flowing.
Anyhoo- I'm blooody well going to plate it with 5mm and guess what.?
If it goes like an ice breaker and a slow as one I'll be the first one to pm you and let you know-kind of guy I am and I would expect the same from you big fella.
Agree with Cooper on getting bombarded with some of the google ***** we see now and then.
Not all of it before someone bites my head off.
I want answers from real people who have cruised and can tell me reality based answers.If I want to trawl the internet and download technical data I dont need to be here interacting with real people do I ??

Wheels -Please dont let a few words eat you up.

Get back in here and engage with us again -please.

Regards
JC
Old 13-07-2008, 04:37   #24

Pelagic,

Rather than both of us pull apart the "post" like pollies, lets talk about the fact that both posters have been on here for several years & have several thousand posts under their belt. Does this come into the equation on judgment day? It wasn't like this was a new member was it.

If anyone here called me "stupid" (of which at times I am), then I'm not going to run to a mod (of which Sean did not) like its Sesame Street or something now am I.

Edit: I have called myself "stupid", "dumbass" & "an ugly woman from china" on this site
Old 13-07-2008, 04:40   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I agree with Sean that we should let this just calm down but in all accuracy exfishnz the next line by Alan was...."It is a very dumb question if....... if it was that Sully was using "$400K boat"

Lets just "forgetaboutit !!"
Plus, I consider Wheels a friend. I have had plenty of conversations with him off the forum and certainly know that his intentions weren't bad. He's just not a bad guy... so he wouldn't come on and bash people for no reason.

I just assumed it was a misunderstanding, or saying "stupidest question ever" was kind of meant in a more light-hearted way than it sounded when read.

I definitely agree - fugedaboudit!!!
Old 13-07-2008, 04:42   #26

Quote:
So, create a spot called "political poo" or something, and relegate all the heavy threads or posts into there. This way, a user can opt not to read through 12 pages of opinions on the global economy to get to the point of anchoring or some other thing.
....ssullivan.....Perhaps this is a good way to go. I dont know, but I am saddened that these things become to dominating. Perhaps a "fire wall" that whenever a topic strays to far away from the practicality, local reality, and hopefully joy, of cruising, that it gets moved to the Heavy area. Thems that want to go hammer and tongs over philosophical, and political, debates still can, but perhaps the new people to sailing can be spared it? The real value of a site like this is, the sharing of first hand practical knowledge . In our case cruising.

New people will not ask questions unless the flavour is there.

I made my point with regards to what I now know was a controversial subject. My reply was to do with, both a real situation, and boats.

Call me old fashioned, but it seems to me, that some people are being miss understood, some people are miss understanding.....and some people are being being provocative.

I for one think that perhaps you and wheels fit into the first two.

sincerely.
Old 13-07-2008, 04:45   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz View Post
Pelagic,

Rather than both of us pull apart the "post" like pollies, lets talk about the fact that both posters have been on here for several years & have several thousand posts under their belt. Does this come into the equation on judgment day? It wasn't like this was a new member was it.

If anyone here called me "stupid" (of which at times I am), then I'm not going to run to a mod (of which Sean did not) like its Sesame Street or something now am I.

Edit: I have called myself "stupid", "dumbass" & "an ugly woman from china" on this site
You hit on it right there...

It's important to note that Wheels and I certainly know each other and that I think we both would consider each other friends.

Ever been at a bar or pub with a mate and had them say something to you that you felt was it over the top, but you had to respond to with another little jab? That's really all it was, I think. You say the little jabs with a smile, and it's kind of like punching someone in the shoulder/arm - nothing more than a little fun between friends. I'm sure there weren't any bad intentions.
Old 13-07-2008, 04:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by john connell View Post
I'm a newbie and not so long ago my first post in regards to replating my hull with 5mm you told me unless I was going to the North Pole it was ridicoulos.
Wheels, incase you ever read this, you're wrong. If you want to break ice then try at least 2 inches of steel platting
Old 13-07-2008, 05:07   #29

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Ask Alan to return to the Wheel ,its his watch

Hope Alan reads this. My rugby team has just beaten yours, but I know they will return, All Blacks have never been losers. Your contribution IS needed.
Having cruised the Caribbean for 7yrs, as a budget or shoe-string cruiser, I never begrudged the " capital, to-do cruiser" who stayed at marinas on every island,always ate ashore,hired a car to see the island etc. The original thread seemed to reflect this.
Lets get back to cruiser issues, help the dreamer to become a true cruiser.What does it cost? What you can afford. You CAN cruise on $500 a month or less.Join this lifestyle and listen to contributers such as Alan
Clyde Cole
Old 13-07-2008, 05:14   #30

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
Wheels, I relatively new but I miss you already. Do us all a favor and come back. You can see from the posts that almost everyone wants you back in the game.
King
Closed Thread