Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2017, 20:26   #46

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40
Re: Where do You Live aboard, and Why?

If I was to use a monohull, I’d go much larger. 33’ is definitely fun for 4-5 days, but my reason for moving to a boat is to enjoy the lifestyle and not necessarily do it cheaply. I’m more concerned with availability than expense. I know being on a Cat is very limiting in FL, but I’m looking forward to the space and the open layout.
Thanks again for the info... the area you’re in looks pretty awesome. It’s a great secondary option. I’m hoping to be within range of Miami airport (less than an hour) which of course limits my options even more, lol...
I really admire what many of you are doing. It’s very impressive. I hope to join your ranks in the next year or two.
PM2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 03:53   #47

Boat: Boat

Good luck. The lifestyle is terrific. Nothing like having your morning coffee on deck.

Agree with you about going larger for a long term situation, we went with a 38 to balance room vs ease of shorthanding. Once you get above around 40-42 feet you star running into slip availability issues for the mono hull as well. Here we have a 40 foot slip and can have a 10% overhang. If I was doing this long term I wouldn’t want anything smaller than a 37 with our crew. If I was single and singlehanded 100% of the time I would probably look at an Out Island 33.

One thing I would watch carefully is draft. It is really shallow down here. We draw 5’1” (officially), loaded I am guessing it is 5’5”. We are most definitely on our keel at low tide: I would have used a hard and fast draft of 4’5” or looked at a swing keel/CB if I had to do it again.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 04:47   #48

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

Thank you, again. Very helpful! I’ll keep you posted.
PM2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 22:03   #49

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Gosh so many places - Let's see - Trindad for hurricane season - just be careful where you go and stay close to Jesse James

Tunisia - 2 winters and wow what a great places and country - inexpensive and safe - and Hammamet has a wonderful marina

Kusadasi Turkey - got a bit cold last year - but nice town and marina is modern BUT the management is probably the worst we have seen in a long long time - we would never go back

Marmaris Turkey - farther south than Kusadasi - a bit warmer - a bit more touristy but still quite nice and inexpensive -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote