Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2011, 04:36   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to cbtucker
What's a typical morning at anchorage like ?

For us dirt-dwellers wanting to live vicariously through you all until we can make the break; what does a typical morning at anchorage consist of for you?
Ok - so maybe there isn't a typical day, but we'll just take today then. What did you do this morning? Chores? A nice leisurely breakfast, some snorkeling, exploring?

Thanks and good sailing to you and yours!
cbtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 04:51   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: What's a typical morning at anchorage like?

Get up just before dawn, make coffee and watch the sun rise. We try and stay in lovely clear water, we are in Bonaire and we will be scuba diving by 10am.

I might also launch the canoe and get some exercise.

Bonaire - Google Search

As you can see from the pictures Bonaire is a much better place than Trinidad in hurricane season, in a few weeks we will move to Curacao where there is a protected anchorage.

Later the generator oil needs changing and I have to fit a new shower pump.

However, the best mornings are when the anchor comes up at sunrise and we head for the next lovely island anchorage.

Don't give up the dream it is a truly wonderful life.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 04:56   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Just like on land, some folks are morning people - early risers, and other are night people - wake up later and get going slower.
- - In the islands, the early risers are in for a real treat. As the sun rises around the anchorage nature stirs and birds and beasts start their days. It is a joy to watch, with your favorite coffee or tea mug in hand, this daily renewal of life. Usually the waters are calm in the early mornings before the sun heats up the land and seas. So the views are reflected in the mirror surfaces of the calm waters. And unless you are anchored near a major population/road system the quiet which is only broken by nature's awakening is deliciously refreshing.
- - Even for late risers, the calm of the morning is a time of peace and contemplation of life and all that is. The smells of fresh coffee/tea and fresh baked pastries or cooking eggs and bacon is pure and not polluted by civilization's industrial smells. Ah! life is good for the cruiser in the morning. . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 06:13   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

I usually awaken between 0530 and 0600 while my (much) better half tends to sleep in a bit. There is nothing quite so enjoyable as watching the sun rise while enjoying a good cupp'a and having an anchorage come to life around you. Eggs'n Bacon, OJ and hot fresh Biscuits never taste as good as they do in an early morning breakfast in the cockpit.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 07:17   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Basically same as above, up early, fix coffee while wife sleeps, walk around boat checking everything, maybe launch kayak, grab fishing tackle, paddle upwind if blowing and fish while drifting down towards the boat all the while watching for the breakfast flag...

Favorite time though is a clear night in a very dark location, grab my 10" telescope and go ashore to stargaze. Usually end up with a crowd wanting to view the stars.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 09:55   #6

Boat: Pearson 281

When at anchor or moored (certainly not as many hours either way as others on this board) I too love the early mornings best; put together a little fire in the wood burner, perk up some coffee. Spent plenty of time this off season moored up close in at Two Harbors and loved sitting in the cockpit on glassy water watching the day start in town ashore. Love little off-season vacation spots... the locals are mellow and "island time" is in full effect. When in the Caribe early start still in effect enjoying some coolness and quiet before he day starts, anticipating snorkeling in the warm water or kicking it ashore before checking engine oil and charging the batteries. Then, if not in a mooring field it's over the side for the first swim of the day just before breakfast.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 10:05   #7

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran

I agree about mornings. Unfortunately it is also the best time to do chores while it is still cool. There is always a tug between working and enjoying the beauty around you with your second or third cup of coffee. The coffee usually wins out.
Old 28-06-2011, 10:12   #8

Awaken when you notice the smell of sun on salt, or that wisp of morning breeze comes through the hatch. Up the ladder to give a quick look around. Yep, looks like another day in paradise. Hmmm... it's already warming up and it's only 9am, does coffee sound good or not? I guess I'll make a little, the "better half" will want it anyway. Hey! I hear a dingy.... up the ladder and see whatz up. Oh it's our friend... out to the cockpit as he pulls alongside. "we're going to catch the minibus into town and get some fruit and veggies, you guys want to come?" hmmm I think... "I dont know...havent run the engine yet to charge the batteries and I dont see any wind for the wind gen....I was going to finally change out the fuel filters today and there's that old rusty shackle on the spare anchor and... we do need food though...hey honey you up for going into town (of course she is...she ALWAYS is!) I'll just turn the fridge off for now. We'll be over at 10am... shall we just take your dingy?"
The mini bus is late of course, but a rattle trap taxi offers to take us for almost nothing. After a couple of hours in town, we load up with fruit and veggies, we get some food at the local restaurant. You can hear them kill the chicken out back just before they cook it.
By the time we get back to the boat it is late afternoon, I run the engine immediately and turn the fridge on to try to recover the wilted veggies after they been dragged around half the afternoon. AHHH, time for a rum in the cockpit as the heat dies down... aint life grand? (one of many scenarios...)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 10:21   #9

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

No early morning here. I get up when the cabin is too warm for sleeping and fix breakfast do morning chores and get comfortable in our hammock turn on XM radio and Jimmie Buffet or get out my guitar and pick some tunes.
Old 28-06-2011, 10:29   #10

"...I get up when the cabin is too warm for sleeping ..." Uhh, I'm from the Pac NW too.... that would be about 2 weeks a year? ha ha :>)
Old 28-06-2011, 10:47   #11

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"...I get up when the cabin is too warm for sleeping ..." Uhh, I'm from the Pac NW too.... that would be about 2 weeks a year? ha ha :>)
Lots of difference from the west side of the Cascade mt's to the warm sunny east side in the rain shadow of the cascade mt's where we are. Were getting up in the 90's today
Old 28-06-2011, 10:50   #12

Yeah...just had to give you a prod... river sailor huh? Man the wind really blows over there sometimes!
Old 28-06-2011, 15:54   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to cbtucker

Those are all great responses! THank you for sharing them. Although now I'm even more envious then I was before. Even with chores thrown in, you're still doing them in some amazing places. Makes me want to say to heck with it - time to let go of this land-existence and go now!! Daughter goes to college next year.. tick, tock, tick tock... it's getting closer
cbtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 16:31   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Not at anchor...

Technically, on a mooring, Bantry Bay, off Middle Harbour, Sydney, NSW, OZ - Tuesday December 28, 2010.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6867.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	29041  
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 17:36   #15

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I think the mods should close this thread. It's just plain cruel.....

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor