Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2017, 01:25   #16

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Re: View of the outside world

My wife and i do not have the years of experience, fact is, we have never been on a monohual while sailing, only for cocktails. But after one full year of living on a 450S Lagoon Catamaran, 8500nm later, i can say for sure i would not be a livaboard on a monohual. Every person is different but other then budget, I dont understand why anyone would prefer a monohual. Now if i was just going to be a weekend warrior, or a few months a year i could get it.
However some of the best people i have ever met on the water are sailing monohauls!
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 02:29   #17

Boat: 45ft Ketch

So you are approaching retirement eh.

At your age the more climbing up and down the bloody stairs the better.

As it happens we have good viewing windows but in the marina can't see much without going up so we in our 70's have had 5 years climbing up and down and are stronger and more flexible than we were 5 years ago.
If you want an easy comfortable life there's an old folks home waiting to devour you.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 03:40   #18

Boat: Leopard 39

Remember that the designers of traditional ocean-going vessels like Pacific Seacraft avoided large port windows for the sake of safety from wave impact; but given modern materials and design, I question the necessity for that today. Look at the aft cabin door arrangements of most cats, is pooping a bygone phenomenon? I'm with you; I like to be able to see the environs from below, it's not only a consideration of esthetics, but of safety. We all understand that crew on deck are responsible for maintaining a watch, but is it beyond the realm of possibility that someone below might see something from that perspective relevant to the safety of the ship? And who wants to be exiled below into a dark hole with slits through which to see the beautiful world?
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 06:00   #19

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I agree with your thought about large ports -- I really have trouble believing that we can't make a 2' x 3' chunk of "glass" (or plastic, or whatever) that is as strong or stronger than the cabin side it is mounted in. I tend to believe that is one of those beliefs that was well founded when it formed in the 1950's, but doesn't apply any more (or at least, doesn't HAVE to apply -- cheap unsuitable crap is still out there!).

However, my real concern is less about the size, than about the ergonomics. My current boat has ports that are about 6" high, hardly "large." But I can see through them, because they are somewhat vertical, and at eye level when below decks. I'd be happy with a modern 42' boat that was limited to 6" high ports -- if they weren't 6 feet off the cabin sole and too high to see out of!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 10:25   #20

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have a 37.5 Hunter legend and have sailed leopard cats through the BVI for the past 10 years. My wife will say that when we are on passsge, she is miserable down below cooking in the galley in our boat. She LOVES the forward facing galley of the leopards. It's why I can't look at an outremer, or some catanas due to the galley being in a pontoon.

As for sailing, I much, much prefer a monohull. When I am down below cooking, or fixing, I have never felt disadvantaged because I had to come on deck or at least come half way up the companionway to see. In fact, on an overnight passsge, while my very seasoned uncle was at the helm, I heard the hum of a large engine tramsmitted through the water, in my bunk. I was able to alert him to the freighter coming up on us from astern. He hadn't noticed it, yet. Point being, had I had a high freeboard, that sound might not have transmitted as well.

As my wife and I talk about our next boat, I am considering a Leopard 45 for its overall livability.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 12:01   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

FWIW, we have that situation on our 44' cc. Meet found it less of a problem than we thought. Mmwe spend a lot of time outside and then enjoy the "cave" as a place to retreat and lounge around.m it provides a nice contrast.

But, hey, that's just us.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 12:42   #22

I share your pain. Google "deck salon" or "raised salon" there have been a few built. I love those boats. Often the galley and dinette are up on a higher floor with bigger windows and the head and sleeping are down below mid and forward. There was an old design Islander 37 built like this I liked the interior on. I think the Islander Landfall? 36 was also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 12:48   #23

Friends had a Pan Oceanic 43 like this one. https://syladydiane.wordpress.com/
The "up" was nice and they spent much of their time there. It was however, only a single berth, nav station and steering. I would prefer the galley and dinette up.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote