Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 18:47   #316

Re: Too Late To Start ?

Forgot the bike thing.

Along the loop on the lower Mississippi, there is nothing, no fuel, no marinas, no hotels, no shopping centers and no hospitals. On the Arkansas or Missouri rivers you have miles of nothing as well.

If I were doing those in my canoe or a 24' cuddy, no problem, make a call (in most places or hike up a hill until you can make a call) and get hauled out with any guy with a pickup truck.

Bigger boats in remote places can leave you stranded worse than being along the eastern ICW I'd say. So it's a way out without walking.

The other side is I have a few places I want to go, in New England, Chicago, Arkansas and Texas. From where I start in Ar and Tx, there are no rental car places, if I do it, it will be from nowhere, there and back. Someone can watch the boat in a cove for 3 days.

I also like the idea of putting the bike off and getting supplies, having the freedom to get off the water seems to go with the same kind of freedom folks want with a boat. I'm sure it will be a PITA, but it will be a good pain.

The bike not going won't keep me from going, but I'll sure try.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 19:33   #317

Well, too late to strat has another issue, that being, as we get older do we become more conservative, do you become more careful about what you do?

I understand the great comments above about make a plan and work the plan, but it got me thinking too.....

Are there situations cruising where if you take the conservative or more careful approach it gets you in trouble? Do you get too old to take a better chance of something?

Not really in an emergency, I'm a cool head if I need to be, but in making some real screw ups....does procrastination get you in trouble?

I'm not talking about dating here!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:33   #318

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle

I used to berth next to a guy with a real nice Mainship and he never took it out. NEVER. It even had twin screws. He bought the boat without any experience and then got banged around a bit docking and such. $300k on a brand new boat and afraid to use it. Boy was it clean though!

We have been in many tough situations over our cruising career. We've always come out better than we might have, and I'm always THANKFUL!
You have to be properly equipped (but don't need to be compulsive about it) and practice using safety and emergency equipment.
Every time we pull into a new harbor, we still get the same thrill, sense of adventure, and yes fear. But manageable fear.

From what I've read of your thread, you're a guy that can manage fear.

When you learn how to properly reef and heave to, and anticipate dangerous situations, you are much more likely to stay safe.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 18:31   #319
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

We are both 60, and in our first month of cruising. We've made it from Kemah, Tx. to Panama City, Fl. so far. Bahamas bound! Take some Advil and get in gear!

Ralph

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 09:15   #320

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Wavewacker, I believe that you do get more conservative as you get older. With age comes wisdom and experience. I really don't think you can too careful for your own good, though. Being safe is better than being sorry.

I remember when my hubby and I were bitten hard by the cruising bug back in the 70s. We were madly in love with Westsails and idea of living aboard full time. We had little in the way of material things and could easily have shoved off, not missing land life at all. However, no matter how we looked at it, there was no way to do that and eat.

Now, many years later, we can afford to do those very things we longed to do but we can not because of serious health concerns. We sail on a lake instead of crossing oceans.

I'm not saying that one should go ahead and go because you never know what life will bring with the "aging thing". What I am saying is that because you have such a vast amount of life experiences behind you, you can be flexible and content with what you are given at the present time. And you can be immensely happy with the simplest of things.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 20:26   #321

Swabbmob , lol, I won't be like your slip mate! My plan is to practice, practice and practice, then just keep practicing as sailing is a skill. I just hope I don't bust some poor guys dock (or my boat). Yes, I can be scared and fearless at the same time, I'm an old Army guy, taught to lead fearlessly while scared and not let anyone know it. LOL I do make quick decissions in an emergency, I'm not concerned at all with such issues really, always vigilant.

Congrats RTB! Hope to see you out there.....

Angelfish2, I hope I'm wiser for my years! Yes seems like my cold feet in this thread started by testing the waters, with all the support here, I sat down a put both feet in, as things were considered I have at least decided to dive in and get a boat.

I'll line things up, as mentioned above I did alot of jumping around about which boat would be right, needing my motorcycle, dog and other issues.
Well, after researching costs of moving a large boat I made my decision:

I will be getting a sailboat, 30 to 34/36 feet. Not positive on what it will be but that's what I'll need for living quarters to stay sane and keep the gf somewhat happy. It has to be a sailboat as it is the most efficient vessel for that size. Most of my loop will be motored, the sailboat requires the least power thus lower fuel consumption....you guys know all this but I just figured it out...LOL

I'll be getting back in shape. I have found that up in New England, I can rent a motorcycle for my side trip. My son will come get me from Texas along the lower muddy. I'll take a bicycle or I did talk to a custom bike builder and as we talked, we might soop up a much smaller motorized contraption, street legal, like those mini bikes that you can put in the trunk of a car. Maybe if I plan a little better I won't be so deep in the woods and can ride to get milk. So, there goes the motorcycle thing!

Next, the little darlings are moving out next month, leaving the nest with mom's blessings. The house gets cleaned out and repairs necessary to sell will be made. I might just refi it and rent it! The lake house at the lake gets a face lift as well. It's paid for, no refi there, and it might get rented as well. This is all months off.

I'm going to look at a 30 footer, cheap fixer, hopefully it only needs interior work, it's covered here in other threads. Time set aside to repair and sail again getting use to the boat, or for us to get to know each other.

I have other studies to do, like reading charts, rules of the road on bigger waters and maintenance issues.

So, thanks to all who have posted, given kind words of encouragement, pointed out my hesitation with a swift kick in the arse and have given great advice. I hope this thread helps others as well who may think they are to old to live on!

Newbies need to know that this is a great community with many ready to help and advise. It's good to know that folks out there have your back! Fair winds...
Old 14-12-2012, 22:09   #322

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

If I were you wavewacker I'd continue to do a bit more reseaerch. True, a sailing boat is easily driven, but were talking pennies difference with a single screw diesel, it's hull shape determines that it also has less useable space vis a vis the same length of a motor cruiser, you will find a motor cruiser of around 33/35 ' is much better size for a comfortable long term liveaboard. (I've lived aboard since 1985) Ditch the motor bike idea, rent a car if you need one, get two aluminium pedal cycles, get of your ass and get fit, it's cheaper and the by product is that you'll live longer ! Ah procrastination ! what does that come under ? indecision, mental masturbation or ********. I wonder sometimes how people who procrastinate make money, unless of course they are a politician.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 06:52   #323

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle

Irish Rambler - say what you really think man! Funny! I would agree on two counts: a 33ft single screw cruiser will have more room than a similar sized sailboat (but where's the romance man!) and if I planned to motor most of the time, I think a trawler might be the way to go.

I challenge myself to sail until I absolutely have to kick on the engine. I became particularly proficient at this when my injection pump was out of commissh for several months. Even learned how to sail on and off anchor without motor. So sailboat it is for me!
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 11:02   #324

I fully agree on the trawler yacht, I'd love one but unfortunately it's a trade off for me, seagoing boat but with /height/ draught restrictions for cruising the European waterways.
Yep, I sailed all around the Greek Ionan but realised that as we get older we need more comfort, less hassle, more comfort for a lady onboard and not as fit as were when we were younger.
Me ? I'd have got the spanners out and fixed the injector pump the day it broke.
Old 17-12-2012, 17:32   #325

Thanks, but actually I have studied the trawler (production types) vs the conversion, the closets difference is 2.5 gallon burn rate that's currently $12.50 an hour. An efficient hull with a 9.9 4 stroke OB is a half gallon an hour, that was on a Bolger Tn at 30 ft. Recreational trawlers, as opposed to commercial cousins, are not efficient designs. The best I found in that length was with the Detroit Diesel 6-71 @ 3 gph sitting in the locks.

When you're talking about 10 mph from either boat about the only advantage of the trawler is the additional room.....granted, but it sure comes at a price too. I have read about so many trawler owners saying how economical thier boat is, a little 32'er, but they are comparing it to other trawlers, they probably haven't considered a converted sailboat, and probably wouldn't.

I wouldn't mind the difference between them if I were cruising a few days on the lake, 1500+ mile trip, and then more, is significant in the pocket.
And we do have the romance of it all.

I've been looking again for one nice conversion, unsuccessfuly, where a gut cut part of the roof off and built a pilothouse on it, pretty nice and that added more room going up. He was young and I don't have time for that....I'll use a dodger...

I'm dropping the bike, unless I come across a way to do it, it would take a bigger boat than I need anyway.

More conversations are at that Boat Design site, full of designers and N/As who have pointed out the same advantages from a much more technical view point. As to me, I'm not an engineer and at times only catch half of what those guys throw out, I'm just going with the fact that boating is for those willing to cmpromise....for those who can't, they own more than one boat.

I appreciate suggestions.....how tos and such, but it's not like I haven't read my tail off for months and a cuople years prior, if I don't move on with other facets of the goal I'll be looking for boats next year and the year after that.
Old 17-12-2012, 23:33   #326

Now your getting down to it, the hull speed is the critical factor for economy, where I cruise you've got the guys with money to burn with large twin screw planing boats. On the other hand you've got liveaboards like me who have the time to go slow at displacement hull speed who use the coastal currents and tides when cruising at sea, that's why there are so many different types and styles of boat in any marina. I'm fully aware that the cost of fuel is a factor, fuel here in Europe is 1.40 Euro a litre which is roughly around 2 dollars a litre, not a gallon. the difficulty with conversions is that many are not well done, virtually all are difficult to sell again later. Good Hunting.
Old 22-12-2012, 11:56   #327

Sorry so late Irish, I'm using a boat calculator site to compare boats. A surprise is an S2 8.0 C, a 26 footer that I have been searching past assuming they are too small. While it is small, it's a pretty big trailerable boat! The aft cabin is great with storage in the cabin, a passageway to it is also great passing by lockers and the head, a sufficient galley and use the V berth area as a much larger dinette area, all standing headroom. I also saw room for a washer and dryer! Can you believe that, a washer/dryer combo on a 26' boat? Can't really see a good spot for the gen set..... the 30'ers have too much beam for the road.

Seems I keep picking out ugly boats too. Seems to me a flater stern would rock less at anchor.

Cruise/hull speed is 6 knts or better, to about 6.8 so far on all the boats I'm looking at, I doubt .5 will be a big concern. I won't be in a hurry either.

Listing my requirements to take aboard is getting smaller already, from another thread our clothing requirement seems to be less than originally thought. Need to add a fridge to most I've seen too, which means a gen set and fuel.

Aging requires more comfort!
Old 22-12-2012, 12:08   #328
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
A surprise is an S2 8.0 C, a 26 footer that I have been searching past assuming they are too small. .... the 30'ers have too much beam for the road.

The S2's 8.0 are nice and they sail well also. Regarding the 30' being too beamy for the road, maybe not. In Florida for example, once you are over 8'6" but under 12', I think, you can get a yearly permit for a very reasonable fee, I think $100 or less, close to that. It is a one time fee good for the whole year, you simply renew it year after year. There may be some restrictions like you cannot travel on weekends or Holidays, something like that but I would look into it where you live before you count them out as too beamy. The issue is horsepower to pull'em and retrieving and launching. But if you use a marina lift to take her on and off - that is another relatively small fee for that size boat. My 2 cents.

Seems Hunter built a 28 or 30 that was designed to be trailerable, requiring a lift on and off the trailer.
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 12:28   #329

Age definitely = more comfort, if you find a process to reverse the aging process that makes me feel younger let me know, I tried 2 redheads, 3 blondes and a black haired gal but it they were only a short lived experience, brunettes definitely do the trick though !
To help you calculate the hull speed of your intended boat take the square root of the waterline and multiply it by 1.4, that's the theoretical hull speed. I'm a motor cruiser type myself but have sailed a Hunter 28 around the Ionan and Peloponese and found it a great boat but back to age again, I just love my comfort so a motor cruiser rings my bell.
Old 22-12-2012, 12:32   #330
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

Easy way to compare monohulls Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote