Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2017, 09:47   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: SF Bay Area LA Slip Needed for Houseboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
san Pablo yacht harbor is the last wilderness type houseboat community on the bay. they are isolated by desire and left alone
If you don't mind living in a real sh*thole surrounded by broken down heavy equipment, with a gun-totin' biker as a harbormaster/owner and crazy neighbors on delapidated POS boats.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:00   #17

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Interestingly, Redwood City put $10M aside for assisting with Docktown repurchases and relocation costs. Wonder why the previous owner didn't relocate it?.

My BIL has a floating concrete "home" there. They were out of the country last year and lost out on that deal from the city. Now they have few options but to be squaters and see what happens.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
My BIL has a floating concrete "home" there. They were out of the country last year and lost out on that deal from the city. Now they have few options but to be squaters and see what happens.
And they didn't have any of their correspondence forwarded?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
If you don't mind living in a real sh*thole surrounded by broken down heavy equipment, with a gun-totin' biker as a harbormaster/owner and crazy neighbors on delapidated POS boats.
Sounds great! Sign me up!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:20   #20

Quote:
And they didn't have any of their correspondence forwarded?
I don't know the details but nobody is offering them any money to move or sell out now.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:17   #21

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Hey Mikey, I think you just don't know what is happening in the San Francisco Bay area water scene. It is controlled by a governmental agency that only allows a small percentage of available slips to be liveaboard. Which means they are hard to come by.

the harbor masters report to this agency. The agency monitors the harbor master's reports. The harbor master's marina can be inspected by the agency. There are big fines if there is some hanky panky.

Now...when you go up to houseboat size critters...like what you are entertaining to do....that is a whole different thing. I am assuming that you saw this great deal on a houseboat....which might be great deal only because someone is getting the city ordinance "boot" and has no where to go. Sausalito is famous/infamous for it's houseboat community. But you are probably a generation too late for that scene.

The only chance you have....as far as I know is way up in the delta. Even then I think it might be a challenge. Then when you factor in the cost of moving a barge (essentially that is what you have) yikes.....

People can't afford to even live in apartments in San Francisco. Garages being rented out apartments for thousands of dollars. Over 10 years ago people would buy beat up boats and use them as liveaboards to avoid punishing commutes....all that is gone now...for many years...it is a "bitch" to get a live aboard slip these days. Trying to get one for a barge....I don't want to say it unkindly....in Sausalito...Berk....maybe the 10 million dollar lotto would be easier to win.

If you do get lucky...anywhere...post it up. and if you do....good on you...I'll buy you a beer and burger. Respectfully, alan
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:36   #22

Like he said ^^^^
Old 10-08-2017, 16:43   #23

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Berkeley has more than one or two floating houses. Does'n mean they will take more but might be worth asking
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 17:17   #24

Boat: DownEaster 38

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why not get a "real" boat, not a "house" boat? Not so spacious, but the possibilities for getting a berth are much, much greater.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 19:20   #25

I'd get a really big anchor and a good 25hp launcha and anchor out somewhere, it's shallow everywhere. There are charted anchorages all over the place. One is right outside San Rafael. Another would be right in front of San Quentin. You could even dinghy to the mud flats near the ferry terminal. The South bay would be pretty open. It would be like cruising almost.
Old 10-08-2017, 22:36   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Hey Mikey, I think you just don't know what is happening in the San Francisco Bay area water scene. It is controlled by a governmental agency that only allows a small percentage of available slips to be liveaboard. Which means they are hard to come by.

the harbor masters report to this agency. The agency monitors the harbor master's reports. The harbor master's marina can be inspected by the agency. There are big fines if there is some hanky panky.

Now...when you go up to houseboat size critters...like what you are entertaining to do....that is a whole different thing. I am assuming that you saw this great deal on a houseboat....which might be great deal only because someone is getting the city ordinance "boot" and has no where to go. Sausalito is famous/infamous for it's houseboat community. But you are probably a generation too late for that scene.

The only chance you have....as far as I know is way up in the delta. Even then I think it might be a challenge. Then when you factor in the cost of moving a barge (essentially that is what you have) yikes.....

People can't afford to even live in apartments in San Francisco. Garages being rented out apartments for thousands of dollars. Over 10 years ago people would buy beat up boats and use them as liveaboards to avoid punishing commutes....all that is gone now...for many years...it is a "bitch" to get a live aboard slip these days. Trying to get one for a barge....I don't want to say it unkindly....in Sausalito...Berk....maybe the 10 million dollar lotto would be easier to win.

If you do get lucky...anywhere...post it up. and if you do....good on you...I'll buy you a beer and burger. Respectfully, alan

Thanks Alan for the advice. I appreciate it. I figure we’re in the same situation right now as so many other people. Rent prices make living out here an unsustainable option and I’m hoping this “good deal” on a houseboat might work out.

Nothing signed yet but I’m driving around the bay this weekend to talk to HMs and ask about slips. 🤞🏼

I’ll post my findings and (most-likely) shortcomings.
mikeygomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 22:39   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why not get a "real" boat, not a "house" boat? Not so spacious, but the possibilities for getting a berth are much, much greater.

A 2bed/2ba House is what we’re looking for. I was eyeing up sailboats and yatchs for awhile but this current houseboat is spacious and fits our checklist better.
Old 10-08-2017, 22:44   #28

Quote:
Maybe it would be helpful if the original poster could clarify the exact nature of the vessel. He could even go mad and give us the actual dimensions. I know, I know, that's crazy talk.

That is assuming that he would like useful replies in return?

Good idea!

It’s 42’ x 16’ and I guess it would be classified more as a floating home. It has a space for an engine or too I think. If it’s a matter of hooking an engine to it to make it “move able” I think that’d be straight forward.
Old 10-08-2017, 22:55   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I'd get a really big anchor and a good 25hp launcha and anchor out somewhere, it's shallow everywhere. There are charted anchorages all over the place. One is right outside San Rafael. Another would be right in front of San Quentin. You could even dinghy to the mud flats near the ferry terminal. The South bay would be pretty open. It would be like cruising almost.

Interesting idea. [emoji848]
With a few solar panels, fresh water and propane (current heating system) an anchorage could work. How would I go about looking into that? I’m assuming they are plenty of laws around the issue. Are there designated anchorage spots by San Rafael?
Old 10-08-2017, 23:00   #30

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

It's even difficult to book a guest berth now for a day or two here (lack of berth availability, advance payment and evidence of insurance, unavailability of marina staff on weekends).

Tags
boat, sf bay