Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2024, 07:02   #1

San Diego live-aboard

Hello! Question from this wannabe sailor to anybody who is familiar with the San Diego marina system.
I am buying a used 30ft sailboat, docked in San Diego harbor. I plan to stay there and live aboard for about two weeks to a month to have a brush-up course in sailing, then leave and head south.

So, I need a cheapest docking place for that period, but the one which would provide things like access to marina showers etc. I don't know anything about legal (and financial) side of living aboard in the harbor, but on the internet they say the so-called Oceanside marina is the cheapest - they have almost like a trailer park down there!

I would appreciate any advice anybody can give me! What would you do? Are there any short term options? Are there any inside tricks?
Also, if you know any instructors I could hire to give me a crash course?

Thank you so very much!
Flybynight.
flybynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 08:01   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: San Diego live-aboard

Can you sub-lease the slip from the seller for a month?
Can you get "temporary" or "transient" slip in the marina it's in or one nearby? It's usually twice the rate of resident rate.
Two weeks is not "liveaboard" it is "vacation", a month might be more problem but such things only arise if there are complaints to management, usually.
Last I heard Oceanside had waitlists as long as anywhere else. A month ago when I was there the transient docks were covered with seals and stunk to high heaven.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live-aboard, san diego