Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2008, 15:12   #16

WIFI antenna and amplifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriet View Post
As for communication nowadays, I am currently sitting in my main salon in my pajamas reading and responding to these posts. We are on a mooring, but I could also do this at anchor with an antenna that we haul up the mast and a signal amplifier. Wifi signals abound in many many places, at least in the Caribbean. I am a wifi junky, and I love nothing more than sitting with that first morning cup of coffee reading the news online. With both Skype and a GSM cell phone, I never feel deprived of communication with friends and family.
Harriet,
What kind of external antenna and signal amplifier to you have? Does it work well? Sounds interesting and probably worth the investment.
sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 17:58   #17

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Sundowner - I'm not sure when I wrote that, but I suspect it was on a mooring in Jolly Harbor, Antigua. If so, then I was just using the internal antenna built into my computer. However, I also have a system utilizing a PCMCIA card equipped with external antenna jacks, an omni-directional antenna, a length of low loss cable, and a pigtail to connect the cable to the card. Unfortunately, the pigtail broke, so I can't use the system. A friend suggested I get a "genius" or "ingenious" power amplifier that would connect directly to the computer via a USB port. That would eliminate the card and pigtail, which is very fragile. I plan to get that when I am back in the States this summer.

Hope that helps.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended cruising