Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2023, 14:14   #16

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: On board internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
No, I bought it in the USA using a US address, specifically due to the potential continent roaming limitation of 2 months.
Thanks, good to know.
Does it cover the complete Caribbean with this?
Do you happen to know if one could for example order through a friend in the US but have the charges paid by a German credit card?
Or would a US marina address for delivery suffice?
Old 04-01-2023, 14:43   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Franziska,

the CC I used is registered to a German address. The Starlink webpage is quite simple, the homepage requires an address to be entered in order to get to the next screen. The rest of the process uses that address, but the credit card doesn't have to match that address.

For instance, if you are in the Caribbean you can use the address of a freight forwarder in Florida and they'll forward the package to wherever you specify (I've used "4 Star Cargo" and "Tropical Shipping" in the past. For this purchase I used a friend in the USA because I wanted to have the first initialization done in the USA before the system "moved" south to the Caribbean. I've since heard that this is not necessary.
It seems that the delivery address is used to establish which continent the system is to be used in. And the Caribbean still counts as "America". I've met many American cruisers with Starlink RV and US addresses and haven't had a single one complain about connection speeds and a 2-month limitation.
Old 04-01-2023, 14:53   #18

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Franziska,

the CC I used is registered to a German address. The Starlink webpage is quite simple, the homepage requires an address to be entered in order to get to the next screen. The rest of the process uses that address, but the credit card doesn't have to match that address.

For instance, if you are in the Caribbean you can use the address of a freight forwarder in Florida and they'll forward the package to wherever you specify (I've used "4 Star Cargo" and "Tropical Shipping" in the past. For this purchase I used a friend in the USA because I wanted to have the first initialization done in the USA before the system "moved" south to the Caribbean. I've since heard that this is not necessary.
It seems that the delivery address is used to establish which continent the system is to be used in. And the Caribbean still counts as "America". I've met many American cruisers with Starlink RV and US addresses and haven't had a single one complain about connection speeds and a 2-month limitation.
Thanks.That's great, let's hope it stays like that.

We are still in Europe for 2023 and I will not get Starlink until we are in the Caribbean, probably 2024, but than it will definitely be an interesting solution for us.
Old 04-01-2023, 16:15   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Starlink is the answer.

Don't consider anything said by non users spinning stories about it.
Old 05-01-2023, 08:53   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'

I had Starlink shipped to the Marina I was in. AFAIK the only difference between RV and Marine is that the marine antenna lays flat. A lot of boaters put the RV antenna in a bucket and point it straight up.

It works great while underway. Being a looper haven’t tried far offshore but have operated successfully in areas where the website indicates no or limited service.
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 12:12   #21

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Your choices will depend upon where at sea, and one place to go to see a variety of options is Sea-Tech Systems.

They are members here, and specialize in providing and supporting turn-key communications packages- including systems that incorporate Starlink.

And right now, if you truly need internet access at sea (vs. just email, weather, etc., but not internet) Starlink is quite competitive if it is available in the area(s) you desire to cruise.

Best wishes finding what you need.

Cheers! Bill

Tags
internet