Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2024, 07:47   #1

Boat: Moody 34
New Cruiser is Annapolis looking for advice

Hello all! This is my first ever new thread on CF.

I recently splashed Star Fire. I have a few more days here at Casa Rio Marina in Mayo, before they kick me out as per their liveaboard rules. Holiday Hill Marina, just around the corner from me caters to liveaboards. I was planning on moving over there for a bit, but, I recently walked their docks. What a dump! I don’t want to take my beautiful Moody there. She deserves better!

I’m looking for suggestions on marinas. I’d like to be near downtown Annapolis. Walking distance from amenities and restaurants. I know the nicer marinas don’t allow liveaboards, and I’m willing and wanting to move around. I need to stay close to shore power until the weather warms up a bit.

I need to be able to plug my 120v heater in at night. This is a temporary situation. I know I need to keep the ship moving to keep the hull clean and familiarize myself with the new-to-me boat before I set off on longer adventures.

Looking for not more than 1-2 weeks at any one spot, weather pending.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. I’m so happy to be part of this community!
Star Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 08:00   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: New Cruiser is Annapolis looking for advice

You might have a look at Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville.

Not downtown Annapolis, but they do have some liveaboards around there. Don't know what their policy about that is, though.

Might be that Holiday Point, near the entrance to the South River, might allow liveaboards. And/or Liberty, at the Rt. 2 bridge. I don't know anything about those, though, and they're still not in downtown Annapolis.

-Chris
Old 22-02-2024, 04:13   #3

Boat: Hunter 27-2 and Hunter 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
Might be that Holiday Point, near the entrance to the South River, might allow liveaboards.
Holiday Point doesn’t officially allow liveaboards, but there are people very obviously living aboard. Compared to most places, there are zero amenities besides a single stall, smelly water shower and a gas grill in the parking lot. Having said that, the price is quite good. We were there last season when we could only make it to MD for long weekends (we live in OH) and it was convenient for our friends to check on our boat. We’re moving to Shipwright Harbor this season now that we’re retiring and going to spend much more time onboard.
Old 22-02-2024, 06:02   #4

Boat: Moody 376

If you only needed a couple weeks and were willing to leave annapolis look into paradise marina down in Deale. have a few restaruants and good hardware store within walking distance. West marine across the creek at Herrington harbor.

grocery store is about 5 miles though....
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 07:15   #5
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

It's my understanding that liveaboard status is prohibited - but there are a number of marinas that don't care. Just bear in mind, you should not declare that you live aboard. You simply spend a lot of time on your boat... Better to say you are a yacht in transit ..

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 19:12   #6

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

This year we've been at Port Annapolis. It's first rate.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 19:21   #7

Boat: Tartan 40

If there’s space I believe downtown Annapolis docks allow winter dockage and liveaboards. In Ego Alley- would be a fun place to spend a few weeks unless you prefer seclusion
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 07:13   #8

Boat: Hylas 49

Herrington Harbor North is not Annapolis, but has a large live a board community.

Jabins allows live aboards - for a price.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 07:17   #9

Boat: Swan 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
If there’s space I believe downtown Annapolis docks allow winter dockage and liveaboards. In Ego Alley- would be a fun place to spend a few weeks unless you prefer seclusion
They had plenty of room when we left Annapolis in Jan, but I think they have a 2 month minimum for winter rate, and the winter period ends at the end of march.
Cari Laut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 09:17   #10

Boat: Moody 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Thanks! I would love love love to spend a week or two in ego ally. Downtown Annapolis is such a neat little place with so many fun things to see and do. Do you know if they do monthly rates?
Star Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 05:34   #11

Boat: Hunter 27-2 and Hunter 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Jabins allows live aboards - for a price.
Our boat was at Jains when we bought it. We moved the next day! The daily electric fee was more than we pay per day for gas and electric for our house.

Tags
Advice, annapolis, cruise, cruiser