Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2014, 09:18   #1

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.
My potable water tank sprung a leak!

Well actually several leaks. I got it out with out much trouble and took a look. The welds around the edges were leaking like a sieve, as if they were parting. It is approx. 30 gal. S.S. made by a outfit in Costa Mesa that seems to have gone out of business. Installed in my 32' Kettenburg in 1977. That's a while ago. So what to do? 1. Took it to a outfit in Anacortes that makes S.S. tanks etc. They gave me a replacement price of $1165.00. 2. Called several places that make polyethylene and other plastic type tanks. I sent them all a drawing of the tank and the cheapest was $650.00. 3. Brainstorm, now, I can not seal it from in the inside so how could I seal it from the outside? FLASH, that black stuff they put in the beds of pick-up trucks! 4. Made one call and took it to an outfit in Everett and they RHINO-HIDED it! I picked it up the next day, and paid $196.47. O joy, my tank no longer leaks! Rock on S.S. coated in Rhino hide!!
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 10:32   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: My potable water tank sprung a leak!

But is that stuff safe for drinking water?

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 13:26   #3

A good point and one that I asked. According to those who installed it, it does not actually get into the tank. They said they use this stuff on a lot of boats. Both fuel and water tanks. The leaks in the weld will allow water to escape but the Rhino-hide can't enter. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I will respond. Probably something to do with the size of the molecule. Like anti freeze will leak from your radiator but water will not. Actually in my case I drink tap water from jugs and use the tank for washing up etc. My tank water has always tasted bad so I really don't drink it. I have heard from my bike buddy's Rhino-hide is an aphrodisiac. If I grow great muscles, good. If appendages wither and fall off, bad. If I die I will instruct my former wife to post my demise. "Here lies, "1Sunseeker who died from drinking Rhino-hide laced water." Perhaps a wee draft of Johnny Walker Red will neutralize the Rhino-hide!
Old 24-05-2014, 14:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker View Post
Perhaps a wee draft of Johnny Walker Red will neutralize the Rhino-hide!
sounds good to me...
Old 24-05-2014, 15:49   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

Had a Kettenburg 41 and the tanks in the bilge
were Monel. They sprung a leak on the next
owner. They had to take up the sole to fix 'em.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 16:20   #6

If the rest looks good, ask a fabricator to put a new bottom on. They just cut the old bottom off and replace it. Common actually. Most often they fail at the welds on the bottom as the welding diminishes the anti corrosive properties.
There's no fabrication involved other than cutting and welding and it should be relatively cheap, if the tank maker is too high $ just go to a fabricator whose interests aren't in selling you a new tank.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 09:00   #7

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

It sounds like you asked a fabricator to make you a new plastic tank.

One thing about water tanks is they tend to be smaller than the space they occupy. Therefore you have some play with dimensions and capacity.

My point is did you look for premade tanks and see if they would fit?

A pre-made 30 Gallon Plastic Tank goes for less than $250

Here is a link to one place: Marine Water Tanks 25 - 49 Gallons

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 19:14   #8

I took the tank to two fabricators one in Anacortes and the other in Bellingham. Since it was leaking along the ends where it had been welded I thought they could just put a cap over the ends and weld those to the tank. Both told me it would be better and cheaper to build a new one. So I then went to another outfit that specializes in building tanks and got the $1165. bid.

Granted standard rectangular tanks can be bought for less. Mine is not a standard rectangular tank but has a unique slanted bottom to fit into the space allowed. It would need the special design. I drew it up and that is what They bid on. The cheapest bid I got on a plastic type was from an outfit in Penn. $650. I tried two fabricators in Calif. including West Marine. West Marine did not answer the other one did not want to build it.

I am happy with the Rhino-hide for $196.47 and it comes with a warranty that it will not leak.

Thanks for the input and information. 1Sunseeker.
Old 25-05-2014, 19:26   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I can't believe a good welder wouldn't just heliarc the welds and patch over the bad spots. This is the type of thing I get fixed for a case of beer at our shop.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 19:35   #10

Boat: islandpacket

Check out ronco plastics. They make hundreds of sizes. Great stuff
Old 25-05-2014, 20:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I can't believe a good welder wouldn't just heliarc the welds and patch over the bad spots. This is the type of thing I get fixed for a case of beer at our shop.
wish you were here. welders ain't what they used to be.

i got a quote of $265 per stanchion to weld each of two stanchion posts that had separated from their bases. and i had to bring my boat from it's marina to his dock a few miles away. personally, i think the guy just didn't want the work, even though he seemed to have no other work in his yard.
Old 26-05-2014, 10:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker View Post
I took the tank to two fabricators one in Anacortes and the other in Bellingham. Since it was leaking along the ends where it had been welded I thought they could just put a cap over the ends and weld those to the tank. Both told me it would be better and cheaper to build a new one. So I then went to another outfit that specializes in building tanks and got the $1165. bid.

Granted standard rectangular tanks can be bought for less. Mine is not a standard rectangular tank but has a unique slanted bottom to fit into the space allowed. It would need the special design. I drew it up and that is what They bid on. The cheapest bid I got on a plastic type was from an outfit in Penn. $650. I tried two fabricators in Calif. including West Marine. West Marine did not answer the other one did not want to build it.

I am happy with the Rhino-hide for $196.47 and it comes with a warranty that it will not leak.

Thanks for the input and information. 1Sunseeker.
I've got a meticulous welder in Bellingham, if you want his contact pm me.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water