Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2022, 09:17   #61

Boat: 1983 34' Irwin Citation
Re: My Journey towards full time liveaboard.

I went sailing for the first time in my life yesterday!

I will be 45 in less than a month, and have never been under sail before. Seems kind of crazy to write out, especially considering I went sailing in my boat. A boat I bought knowing nothing about sailing or sail boats. Not knowing if I would be seasick, or even enjoy sailing. A boat I bought with money I really should have put towards my mortgage for "security".

It was amazing! Sort of indescribable. Everything I had hoped for, and so much more. I felt alive and at peace, and and it just felt right.

It was not an official lesson, just one of my old salt anchor neighbors who offered to take me out and show me things. I left the dogs at a sitter, and we went out to practice. We left the trim around close haul, and just steered for optimal wind. Practiced a couple of tacks, did a heave to, just fooled around to get the ropes (pun intended). He told me that my rails are too short where the jib sheets comes back to the cockpit, so the boat is not set up for good up wind sailing. He thought it could be remedied with a block on the rails. I spent a lot of time at the wheel watching the jib tell tales, getting a feel for the wind. I think I am going to regret not buying a tiller boat because I can't feel the boat as well with the wheel, but I did not know. That was kind of the point on this boat. Learn what I need to know for the forever boat.

Speaking of learning, getting some hands on was awesome. I am basically going to start over reading my course books, with some better understanding of what they are describing. Couple of pro tips to add. The window thingies on the side of the boat, those are supposed to be closed when you are sailing. All good, because it was laundry day anyway. 5 gallon jerry cans of drinking water are heavy, and if improperly secured, can bounce around a cabin and cause damage. I got lucky on that one. Actually had a lot of luck yesterday. The shackle that connects the jib sail to the roller furler decided to unscrew and fall out. It stayed on the deck until I anchored. Similar situation with a kayak seat clip. It stayed on the kayak, even though it was lashed on it's side to kayak racks.

Another pro tip, probably best to practice close haul sailing far away from rocks when you are new.

All and all, I am ecstatic. Sun burned and tired, but it's so very worth it. Hoping my official instructor frees up this week, otherwise, I may find some other experienced sailor that has the patience to go out with me on Saturday. Today I am going to learn about cleaning hulls while at anchor (if the water calms down).
patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:36   #62
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
I went sailing for the first time in my life yesterday!

I will be 45 in less than a month, and have never been under sail before.
I went sailing for the first time when I was 49 and that was for my first sailing lesson. At 50 I got my first sailboat, a 39'. At 52 I was on my second sailboat, a 41'. At 56 I was, and still am, retired and on that boat.

Enjoy the journey. Stay away from 20+ year old "how to" boats about sailboats and the glossy magazines and stupid Bloggers.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:45   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I went sailing for the first time when I was 49 and that was for my first sailing lesson. At 50 I got my first sailboat, a 39'. At 52 I was on my second sailboat, a 41'. At 56 I was, and still am, retired and on that boat.

Enjoy the journey. Stay away from 20+ year old "how to" boats about sailboats and the glossy magazines and stupid Bloggers.
I really am enjoying the journey!
Old 10-04-2022, 10:36   #64
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Enjoy the journey. Stay away from 20+ year old "how to" BOOKS about sailboats and the glossy magazines and stupid Bloggers.
wish more time was given to fix typos
Old 10-04-2022, 11:11   #65

I'm sitting in my condo eating lunch, looking out at the Bahia anchorage. It's a fairly breezy day. All the boats are lined up pointing in one direction... Except mine. She's like "ooooh, what's that? Wow, I think there's a bird over here, omg I need to swing over and check that out"

It's like Ares infected my boat with his ADHD
Old 10-04-2022, 16:59   #66

Did I say breezy earlier? I almost could not paddle hard enough to get to the boat. Eaves were breaking over the bow of the kayak. Despite the wandering boat attached to it, the anchor seems to have stayed out. I'm going to hold off on trying to address the wandering until after my pre engineered snubber shows up.

Lots of firsts this weekend. First sail, first time trying to squeeze into a wetsuit, first time cleaning a boat Hull. Nothing was on that I could wipe off with the pads a sailor recommended to me. Sort of like a green kitchen scrubbie, but black, and seemed less abrasive. Invigorating, but exhausting. I cleaned the entire hull and keel and moving parts at the back. Installed a prop shaft zinc as well. Found out after I finished that there is another one on a plate. I'll get it next week.

I don't have the lungs I did as a swim team kid. Almost drowned try to use a snorkel. I found my rhythm. Circular motions moving down the hull. Catch breath, go back a little deeper. There were a lot more breath breaks towards the end.

I tried to dive my anchor chain to see how the anchor was attached. There was lots of chain on the bottom, but also lots of stingrays hanging out on my chain super annoyed that I was bothering them, so I surfaced without seeing the anchor. The bottom u could see through the hordes of rays seemed sandy. I thought about going straight down over the anchor, but there are a lot of power boats and jet skis this weekend, and I didn't have a flag out. Maybe Monday if it's calm.

Sailing instructor says "maybe Tuesday" fingers crossed, this is Mexico, things happen when they happen, you can't really force it
Old 11-04-2022, 06:56   #67

My boat has developed a fun new noise (or I am newly experiencing the conditions that cause it). The conditions are very specific:

There has to be no wind, on a relatively calm night. Whatever forces point my boat perpendicular to the mouth of the Bahia as if I was sailing beam reach to it. Then the Sea of Cortez sends in about 6 little swells through to mouth of the bay, they have to hit perfectly straight on the beam, causing the boat to rock side to side 30 degrees or so. Doesn't work if the boat is off angle a bit.

When all of these conditions are met, the bulkhead that abuts the lower mast portion (or maybe it is the mast itself), make an interesting sound.

It sounds like Ghost Rider is doing a bad job of sneaking his bike on deck with a rusty come along. Couple of test ratchets at the first swell to see if I am paying attention (I am), then 3 quick ratchets as the boat leans in one direction, 3 quick more on the return lean. Repeat about 6 times, then pause until I almost fall asleep again. Repeat. All night. Really loud, about 3 feet from my head.

I'm scared to find out what I did to piss off Ghost Rider.

The port standing rigging that goes from the mast head to the end of the spreader is a little loose, I know because I went out at midnight and stared at it as the boat rocked back and forth. I am wondering if this is allowing just a tiny bit more of flex in the mast beam to beam than normal, and putting tension on the bulkhead wall were it connects to the lower mast. Some nail is stretching in and out of a hole, or maybe it is something on the mast connection.

I don't know enough to be worried or complacent, so I am going to just be anxious until the rigger comes.
Old 11-04-2022, 13:59   #68

Boat: Looking to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
If you're working remotely, why not do it from the boat?

We have solar which keeps all our stuff running including three laptops, two phones, and an ipad plus a few other widgets like bluetooth adapters for music, headphones and whatnot.

I purchased a linksys wifi router that takes 12v, a ubiquiti bullet, 12db antenna, and a 12v PoE injector , tossed the wall warts into my spares, and whipped up a cigarette outlet power cord that runs the wifi and bullet. It works pretty well providing wifi to the entire boat and can connect over at least a 1/2 mile to a marina wifi when I have (or can guess) the passwords.

You could get a second bullet and antenna and put in the window of your condo if needed, bet it would work well.

On the topic, has anyone considered maintaining a list of marina wifi passwords?

If you can always use your cellphone as a "HOTSPOT" to connect your laptop, if no wireless is available.

EDIT: Just realized the OP already said this in a following post.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 16:39   #69

Boat: CT 48

Quote:
I also tore down and re-organized my condo. I moved my office and all dog related items into the master suite since I am not sleeping here anyway. In theory I could start renting out the second bath /bedroom with the kitchen and living room on the weekends. I'm not sure that I am ready to have strangers in my space, but I may start experimenting with friends and family.
I like the idea of driving some revenue off the condo if you're not really using it. A solid dead bolt on the bedroom that's "your space" seems prudent, but then you can get some really solid income on the short term airbnb/vrbo side of things (assuming your HOA allows).

--

You mention having a hard time getting the kayak on deck, are you manhandling it, or are you using the boat to lift it? I'm a big fan of mechanical advantage, if you can make that work for you
Old 12-04-2022, 17:16   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugsgomoo View Post
I like the idea of driving some revenue off the condo if you're not really using it. A solid dead bolt on the bedroom that's "your space" seems prudent, but then you can get some really solid income on the short term airbnb/vrbo side of things (assuming your HOA allows).

--

You mention having a hard time getting the kayak on deck, are you manhandling it, or are you using the boat to lift it? I'm a big fan of mechanical advantage, if you can make that work for you
We are allowed to rent the condo out, but not partially. In other words, I couldn't have a roommate or charge visitors rent. If I wasn't on the board, I'd figure out workarounds. I may just put out a "condo maintenance fund jar" and let people donate what they want. Getting the deadbolt regardless.

I have davits, and I came across some sort of block and tackle setup in a locker I haven't played with yet. I have side mounted kayak racks, so I don't think the davits will help, unless I just left it there. The second time I loaded it, I put more thought into it. I tied off the back, and just lifted half at a time. It went smoother, but I think I can do better. All part of the fun. Figuring out routines and systems.
Old 12-04-2022, 19:28   #71

If anyone is curious about the noise that's been keeping me up at night for 3 days, I took a little 10 second video. I'll try to upload or link.

http://https://drive.google.com/file...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 12-04-2022, 19:31   #72

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Sh...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 12-04-2022, 22:24   #73

Boat: 2014 Leopard 39

The Ghost Rider noise you are hearing could be “vortex shedding”. Google it, it’s very interesting.
If your boat has a topping lift(a line from the aft end of the boom to the masthead), the topping lift could be generating the noise and sending it down through the mast to the bulkhead. Just take the main sheet and wrap it around the topping lift. If the noise stops, that was it.
Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 23:39   #74

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
That’s the mating call of the giant clam! Must be right below you. And a fine sounding specimen too. Congratulations.

Sleeping on the boat is like having your nerve endings spliced to the rigging. Not really a bad thing, just very interactive
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 23:50   #75
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Between fish nibbling the bottom , rigging , the groans , twangs , and vibration , boats talk, eventually your brain learns what’s normal and what’s not. Then you’ll sleep unworried but will wake instantly if there’s a unusual break in the pattern.

Or turn on the stereo, any good 80s music will do

Tags
liveaboard