Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2022, 08:33   #46

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'
Re: My Journey towards full time liveaboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
Awesome! thanks for the tips. I have a hot pink (supposedly waterproof) holder for the phone that hangs around my neck when I need to take photos.

Still have not wrapped my head around logs, this is more just a brain dump for me to look back on if necessary. I officially gave myself a month of from maintenance worries after buying the boat so I could focus on getting some sailing lessons. That being said, I think I am going to see what hull cleaning at anchor is all about this weekend.

Interesting post. I am following.
Good to see that we are getting “some new blood” in the forum.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 08-04-2022, 09:05   #47

Send a message via ICQ to wncrod

Quote:
Thank you! One of the funnerest things about this whole adventure, is that the Coast Guard let me use "Patagonia AZ" as the hailing port. Cannot wait to put that on the back of the boat!
I love when seagoing vessels list some landlocked place as their home. I was in Halifax a few years back when I saw the fishing yacht Cazador from Rifle, Colorado.

Also, boat dog pics, please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cazador.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	255657  
wncrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:22   #48

Boat: 1983 34' Irwin Citation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrod View Post
I love when seagoing vessels list some landlocked place as their home. I was in Halifax a few years back when I saw the fishing yacht Cazador from Rifle, Colorado.

There are a lot of those around here. I always wondered about it.....

Going to experiment with linking facebook messenger pics of dogs via the url, apologies if it does not work.

patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:57   #49

Boat: O'Day 30 and O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrod View Post

Yay, I love to see references to Halifax.
(If I attached this properly, this is a photo of me in front Georges Island, Halifax Harbor)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lil Joe 2020.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	255659  
Rob19321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:04   #50

Boat: O'Day 30 and O'Day 34

Boat DOG Pictures?

Getting ready for the first sail... Osa (Bear)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Osa 2020 Summer 03.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	255660  
Rob19321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:10   #51

Boat: Looking

Just finished reading from the beginning. Thank you for sharing your journey! I will be following your journey as well. Fair winds!
KSBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:03   #52

Send a message via ICQ to wncrod

Great dog photos! Thanks for sharing.
wncrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 14:27   #53

Boat: Comanche 32

Good luck on your journey. I am following with great interest. I have only been a liverboard for 32 years and still learning. I wish someone had written something like this years ago. Keep up the good work.
howardatviking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 15:40   #54

I've only got a little way into your story, but -
Some notes from your blog:

Re Putting the Kayak Paddle aboard first:
Been there - done that 'Once !'
After that I found a rhin double braid (actually, I think it was Dyneema) line, only about 1/8th or 3/16th inch thick.
Tied it around the balance point of the paddle, firmly enough that it wasn't loose enough to slip along the shaft, but I could still slide it if I needed it to.
There was no sensible anchor point for the loose end, so I ran another piece across the kayak, below my legs and tied it that off to something secure.
Then I tied the loose end to that piece using the same know as the paddle.

The Knot:
For things like this I use a Clove Hitch, with the loose end carried forward around the paddle and then tucked in around the tight end to lock it.
Wrong knot maybe, but it is easy to tie blindfolded (on a dark night) and done right, is easy to loosen or tighten if you need to, without undoing it.

The Swim Platform:
If you have Davits, you have a lot of extra options if you think sideways. That netting affair that hangs off the boat? A line (or two) that can be dropped from the davits, could be clipped to the ends of a mesh platform like that, very simply.

If you don't have davits, You can do something similar back up to a winch, cleats, or to a slotted toe rail or whatever is convenient.

That would give you a dog catching platform, an easy way to get aboard (or off the boat) and a handy place to stick the shopping and lift it over the gunwhales.

Re Alcohol and Coffee:
Alcohol:
Port makes a nice alcoholic cockpit drink. One shot, sipped slowly at the end of the day is a nice feeling. Drunk like that the fortified wines last quite a while. I make my own sipping drink for cold weather from cheap local Port and Green Ginger Wine.
And there are nice 'similar' drinks. Liquer Muscat comes to mind.

Coffee:
Coffee can do weird things to some people in their early days aboard, because it is a stimulant. However, if you can find some 'candied ginger' root, (or just raw ginger root if you can handle it) and chew on that after the coffee, I suspect that the condo will look like it is upright again after a short time.
Basically chew the ginger (or root) and let the juice (mostly you saliva) dribble down your throat.

I always kept cubes of candied ginger aboard for seasick guests. One or two little cubes over half an hour or so worked wonders.

ALSO, Think tea. It's usually cheaper. It doesn't go hard or gooey in the tin, although it still needs to be kept dry. That said, after one of my boats was dedtroyed in a cyclone, one of the first things I did was dried the salt water out of the tea and made a cuppa...
tea is also available in interesting colours. I found Jasmine scented Green tea (you might have tried it at a Chinese restaurant) was great to have aboard in addition to whatever I was usually drinking at the time.

Note - You or others, have probably already come up with these ideas - but they were the first things I thought in the first page. Now I'm off to read the next 3 pages..
Fair Winds :-)
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 15:56   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossdv8 View Post
I've only got a little way into your story, but -
Some notes from your blog:

Re Putting the Kayak Paddle aboard first:
Been there - done that 'Once !'
After that I found a rhin double braid (actually, I think it was Dyneema) line, only about 1/8th or 3/16th inch thick.
Tied it around the balance point of the paddle, firmly enough that it wasn't loose enough to slip along the shaft, but I could still slide it if I needed it to.
There was no sensible anchor point for the loose end, so I ran another piece across the kayak, below my legs and tied it that off to something secure.
Then I tied the loose end to that piece using the same know as the paddle.

The Knot:
For things like this I use a Clove Hitch, with the loose end carried forward around the paddle and then tucked in around the tight end to lock it.
Wrong knot maybe, but it is easy to tie blindfolded (on a dark night) and done right, is easy to loosen or tighten if you need to, without undoing it.

The Swim Platform:
If you have Davits, you have a lot of extra options if you think sideways. That netting affair that hangs off the boat? A line (or two) that can be dropped from the davits, could be clipped to the ends of a mesh platform like that, very simply.

If you don't have davits, You can do something similar back up to a winch, cleats, or to a slotted toe rail or whatever is convenient.

That would give you a dog catching platform, an easy way to get aboard (or off the boat) and a handy place to stick the shopping and lift it over the gunwhales.

Re Alcohol and Coffee:
Alcohol:
Port makes a nice alcoholic cockpit drink. One shot, sipped slowly at the end of the day is a nice feeling. Drunk like that the fortified wines last quite a while. I make my own sipping drink for cold weather from cheap local Port and Green Ginger Wine.
And there are nice 'similar' drinks. Liquer Muscat comes to mind.

Coffee:
Coffee can do weird things to some people in their early days aboard, because it is a stimulant. However, if you can find some 'candied ginger' root, (or just raw ginger root if you can handle it) and chew on that after the coffee, I suspect that the condo will look like it is upright again after a short time.
Basically chew the ginger (or root) and let the juice (mostly you saliva) dribble down your throat.

I always kept cubes of candied ginger aboard for seasick guests. One or two little cubes over half an hour or so worked wonders.

ALSO, Think tea. It's usually cheaper. It doesn't go hard or gooey in the tin, although it still needs to be kept dry. That said, after one of my boats was dedtroyed in a cyclone, one of the first things I did was dried the salt water out of the tea and made a cuppa...
tea is also available in interesting colours. I found Jasmine scented Green tea (you might have tried it at a Chinese restaurant) was great to have aboard in addition to whatever I was usually drinking at the time.

Note - You or others, have probably already come up with these ideas - but they were the first things I thought in the first page. Now I'm off to read the next 3 pages..
Fair Winds :-)
Thank you! I genuinely appreciate advice and feedback
Old 08-04-2022, 16:13   #56

Quote:
Thank you! I genuinely appreciate advice and feedback
I hope so, because I thought I'd finished for the morning - B U T :-)

I saw a reference to your preferring to work with more than one monitor. It can be difficult finding enough power for all our devices. I've given up sailing now, after losing two yachts that were torn off their moorings by 1) a much bigger power boat, and 2) a floating office block (yes, really!), but if I was still anchored somewhere and set up the way I was in the last year, I would have killed for something like this to connect to my Laptop.

https://www.amazon.com.au/AOC-e1659F...s%2C263&sr=8-6

The link is to the AUSSIE site, but you'll have the same or similar over there.
You would need HDMI connection and USB-C power!
The Screen above seems to be missing the HDMI input that the older ones had. A bit of searching would find one with USB power, but HDMI input.

You could easily run that sort of thing on a yacht's electrical system.

I I was still aboard these days I would probably have set up:
A Raspberry Pi 4B with 8GB RAM (I run Linux, but the current Pi will comfortably run Windows).
And, the Pi runs off USB-C using a 12V plug thingy
One of those screens from Amazon - also running off USB-C (and 12V)

I would get a cheap (but make sure it is refillable) Inkjet, and run it off the Inverter if needed.

And - I forgot - The Raspberry Pi has TWO HDMI Ports. So it can run two USB Powered screens.

I know, like the rest of us who ever lived aboard for any lengths of time, are probably on a tight budget. Some of these bits might be handy to know when you have recovered from your studies.

You don;t need to think about the pocket sized Raspberry Pi computer until you need to find a replacement for your old computer.
You just might find the 16 inch screen that won;t kill your power, more useful to know
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 16:53   #57

Boat: Still looking for an education

Dave,
This has been an awesome read so far. Have already made a few notes from your observations, and the comments to you. Looking forward to learning through your experiences.

--
Steve
SCWentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 18:11   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossdv8 View Post
I hope so, because I thought I'd finished for the morning - B U T :-)

I saw a reference to your preferring to work with more than one monitor. It can be difficult finding enough power for all our devices. I've given up sailing now, after losing two yachts that were torn off their moorings by 1) a much bigger power boat, and 2) a floating office block (yes, really!), but if I was still anchored somewhere and set up the way I was in the last year, I would have killed for something like this to connect to my Laptop.

https://www.amazon.com.au/AOC-e1659F...s%2C263&sr=8-6

The link is to the AUSSIE site, but you'll have the same or similar over there.
You would need HDMI connection and USB-C power!
The Screen above seems to be missing the HDMI input that the older ones had. A bit of searching would find one with USB power, but HDMI input.

You could easily run that sort of thing on a yacht's electrical system.

I I was still aboard these days I would probably have set up:
A Raspberry Pi 4B with 8GB RAM (I run Linux, but the current Pi will comfortably run Windows).
And, the Pi runs off USB-C using a 12V plug thingy
One of those screens from Amazon - also running off USB-C (and 12V)

I would get a cheap (but make sure it is refillable) Inkjet, and run it off the Inverter if needed.

And - I forgot - The Raspberry Pi has TWO HDMI Ports. So it can run two USB Powered screens.

I know, like the rest of us who ever lived aboard for any lengths of time, are probably on a tight budget. Some of these bits might be handy to know when you have recovered from your studies.

You don;t need to think about the pocket sized Raspberry Pi computer until you need to find a replacement for your old computer.
You just might find the 16 inch screen that won;t kill your power, more useful to know
It will be a while before I am working full time in the boat. I know I can do it because I worked full time in a solar powered RV for years. It's just more logistics than I can handle right now. I like that screen though! I need a fairly large screen because I do CAD, but someday I will research vr goggles with simulated screens. Not sure if that would make me sick though. Future problem. Temperature is more if an issue. It gets HOT in the summer here, and I'm not ready to sail to cooler climates yet. Realistically, I may start working on the boat this winter. Kayaking to work in the dark, and cold, does not sound fun.
Old 08-04-2022, 18:11   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWentz View Post
Dave,
This has been an awesome read so far. Have already made a few notes from your observations, and the comments to you. Looking forward to learning through your experiences.

--
Steve
Please do learn from my mistakes!
Old 08-04-2022, 19:40   #60

Realistically, this kayak situation is not sustainable long term for the daily back and forth commuting I am doing. I just needed to experience it to get a baseline. I was researching other options last night, and today it confirmed by breaking the bow handle as I was dragging it over the dune in front of my condo.

The problem is that I need a tandem to transport dogs, and it's heavy. If I had not had a moment of weekends almost exactly a year ago when Vaqa was puppy abandoned on a trash pile, my life would be easier. Not better, just logistically easier. Wouldn't trade her for the world, but now I have to sort it out.

I have a friend with waterfront nearby who will let me store the kayak at their place and walk to work, so that buys me time. No more dragging over the dune. The weight is an issue for when I start sailing. I was able to muscle it on board the kayak racks by myself once, but just barely. Almost fell off the boat.

I was looking at standup paddle boards that you can put a seat on last night. I think that works work. I know I can carry one of those under one arm. Not sure about the the really windy days though.

I have a large SOAR inflatable canoe from my RV days. I can easily fit two people and two dogs and gear in that. It's equally heavy and also hard to navigate in high winds. Also, I'm worried that leaving it in the sun all day, without washing the salt off would kill it. Maybe a strap on beach wheel would work.

"But Dave, why don't you use your dingy?" Fantastic question. It's expensive to replace, and I think I will want it when I start cruising. There have been dingy thefts here lately. Same issues about sun damage. I'd probably have to moor it at the dingy dock at the marina, which has a small cost, and then walk to my condo. Plus, it has a motor. Which is a system that has to be learned and maintained, and I don't really have good small engine track records

I also know there are super light weight kayaks out there, but my budget is totally tapped for a while. I'm going to continue with the kayak until I can't make it work anymore, the maybe try the SOAR. Maybe someone will loan me a paddle board to experiment with.

Tags
liveaboard