Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2003, 13:57   #1

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Monohull boat review

Alberg 37

I would like to get some opinions on this boat.The Albergs are early f/g boats. Well proven. These are older boats, and upgrades would have to be considered. An older 37 could be bought faily inexpensively. Albergs are a bit narrow, have short waterlines, but graceful overhangs. What do you like,or dislike about this boat?

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/...889&slim=quick&
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2003, 02:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Alberg 37

The Alberg 37 is a pretty old fashioned boat - with a shorter waterline, narrow beam, low B/Displ, moderately heavy Displ/L, a smaller sailplan - low S/A/Displ, and a moderate draft /w old-fashioned cut-away keel. I'm certain Jeff_H could make some specific comments on the numbers & ratios.

I’m no expert on these particular boats,; but here’s my recollections of an old cruisin’ buddie’s A37:
- Cramped accommodations (for a 37')
- Small uncomfortable cockpit
- Tender but slower roll-period
- Slow(er), but points well
- Horses around at anchor
- Very light load-carrying ability
- Handles poorly under power (tracks well, tho’) - I think he had about 18HP, so underpowered, and /w aperture on keel so the prop is a little dysfunctional.
- Dysfunctional stern-transom (for cruising)
- Nice lines, but not to my taste.

Gee, I started out thinking I almost liked the Alberg. My recalled impression is that these boats would be more highly rated than my (above) list might suggest. I’ll stand by my recollections, but admit that their general reputation surpasses my review.

What are the asking prices on the Alberg 37's? I'd hope they'd go for well under the Dehler - maybe $30-$40K???

I'd like to see someone (Jeff?) put the numbers into perspective.

Regards,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2003, 04:50   #3

Hi Gord,

Thanks for your input. Man, I love this stuff! The Dehler looks a lot better now,doesn't she? ha!ha! There are two Alberg 37's listed on Yachtworld. One, a 1972 is listed at $55K. The second, a 1970, is listed at $57K. The 1985 Dehler 372 is listed at $54K.As I started reviewing boats, it was amazing to me the things you start picking up on.I've not had a chance to run any numbers on the Alberg, but I agree with your general assessment.All the boats I have on my list have been,or possibly could be passagemaking boats. Yet, all are so different. Not having made the committment to upgrade yet, gives me,and I'm sure others the luxury of really digging in to the design of these boats to find the best,and worst in them.There are difinite trade offs of each design. For sailors that already have their boats, I hope that this discussion will generate some ideas on how to improve your boat.Let me state again here emphatically, in my opinion, there are no bad sailboats. I love them all! I've got to finish doing my homework on the Alberg, then I'll post my review concerning her.
Old 28-10-2003, 05:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
In almost everyway the Alberg 37 is the antithesis of an "ideal live aboard cruiser". Slow, tender,wet, cramped, rolly, minimal storage capacity, pitches miserably in a chop, lots of weather helm when trimmed for speed, poor tracking, inefficient rigs, miserable at the light and heavy end of the scale, high VCG relative to its low VCB, etc.

I know that people have done all kinds of long voyages with these boats, but to me they are the posterchild for what not to take cruising. These boats are up in age and so unless the prior owner has corrected the problems, need a lot of attention. A couple major issues with these boats is engine and prop size and problems with the strength and shape of the original rudders.

Gotta Go
Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2003, 09:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I wish I'd said that!

Jeff H once whispered in the wind:
"In almost everyway the Alberg 37 is the antithesis of an "ideal live aboard cruiser". Slow, tender,wet, cramped, rolly, minimal storage capacity, pitches miserably in a chop, lots of weather helm when trimmed for speed, poor tracking, inefficient rigs, miserable at the light and heavy end of the scale, high VCG relative to its low VCB, etc. "

"... but to me they are the posterchild for what not to take cruising..."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2003, 17:32   #6

Alberg 37

I dug around the net, some books that I have,and a few other sources, and this is what I came up with on the Alberg.

The Alberg 37 has the reputation as an ocean-crossing vessel. Several circumnavigations have been made aboard them.With long overhangs and a pleasing sheer, the 37 is an unmistakably classic design. The boat was introduced as a racer/cruiser, but today is known as a traditional cruiser, with medium-heavy displacement performance. Narrow by today’s standards (10 ft.2in.),and has a waterline length of 26 ft.6 in.Below the waterline the forefoot is cut away at the forward end of a relatively short keel. The rudder is attached directly to the keel. The cockpit is also a bit narrow.With some of these boats nearing their 30th birthday, most need some work.

Alberg 37 Specifications:

LOA: 37'2" LWL: 26'6" Beam: 10'2" Draft (deep): 5'6"
Ballast: 6,500 lbs. Disp: 16,800 lbs. Sail area: (100%) (sloop) 646 sq.ft
Ballast/Disp: 39% - A little above average
Disp/Length: 403 - Heavy boat
SA/Disp: (sloop) 15.8 - A little low, but acceptable. Not a very robust sail plan.
Motion Comfort - 38 - This would indicate a stable, sea kindly boat according to Ted Brewer.
Hull Speed - 6.9
Screen number - 1.59 -Very good
Fuel: 35 gal.
Water: 60 gal.
Holding: retrofit
Auxiliary: Volvo MD2003 28-hp
Designer: Carl Alberg

Conclusion :

The Alberg 37 has some strong, and weak points. Considering these boats are 30 years old, IMO that’s the first item of concern. Boats that have been well cared for will sell for $50-60K.The strength of this boat can’t be denied, as several have done circumnavigations. A March '82 article in a U.S. sailing magazine speaks of how the Fowle family sailed their Alberg 37, Arion, from Massachusetts to Ireland, weathering the famed Fastnet. A 1977 hull, Good News, ended up on a Block Island, Rhode Island, beach in 1991's Hurricane Bob and suffered only scratches.

Water tankage is low,but the deep bilge has the volume for additional tankage. The boat has a large V-berth, and the main cabin has two pull-out settees, plus a pilot berth. There are some nice shelves for electronics by the chart table, and the table boasts a cushioned seat that folds cleverly to extend the quarter berth.

Some of the less desirable traits of this boat is it’s slower speed, narrow beam,and cramped cockpit. One article I read mentioned potential problems with her balsam core decks, and bulkhead floor tabbing. A good surveyor should be able to easily identify these potential problems though.The galley, while large, is in an "L" shape. This wouldn't seem to be a very agreeable layout while underway. The boat has limited storage capabilities,and the chart table is fairly small.
Old 23-06-2005, 15:20   #7

Boat: Alberg 37 "Amazing Grace"
I am not sure where to begin. I think it is quite obvious that the people posting here have never owned an Alberg 37 and maybe they are just reading about it. Well, I have one and I am very pleased to be her owner. Now you might find me arguing against myself but the point here is to explain why she is the way she is.
First, whoever said that she was slow is absolutely right. She is, I just got new sails for my boat and it made a heck of a difference but she still is slow, but she points quite well for a full keel boat. Now on the slow thing. Well I have never known cruisers to be in much of a hurry to get anywhere. We are talking about cruising here not racing. one boat does not do both well. Well unless you can get into the area of the Swans, Hylas, Oysters and such.
Yes she is cramped for a 37 but that is of course if you compare her to a modern condo in the water such as hunter. I would say that she has the room below of a 30 foot modern boat, but depending on what your needs are I think cruising is about simplifing life. Myself I like good music but I can do without a tv. That kind of thing. I think storage space is good considering a 37 foot boat with only a 10 foot beam but then I use the two aft pilot berths for storage (sails, life raft and such) and have modified the vee berth into a double which comforatably sleeps two persons. I lived on my boat last summer while my condo was being redone and it was not to bad and unfortunately I had to keep alot more stuff around than if I want cruising as my job demands a certain level of dress.
Ok, next, yes she has a small cockpit well most good blue water boats do have small cockpits or should. As far as comfort in a cockpit is concerned if you can lay out that is good enough. I do not need a cockpit where I can sit 10. The way I look at it is less cockpit means less water in the boat if a wave comes up over the top.
Yes she dances around on a mooring. Think full keel, that is what they do. Well also think riding sail. if it bothers you that is the way to handle that.
yes, she does not handle so great under power but that is only going backwards. No full keel boat does. Has to do with prop walk, and getting enough water flowing pass the keel to the rudder. In forward she is totally different and she can literally turn on a dime. By the way my auxliiary is an Atomic four. I actually like it, which subject will I am sure open up a whole can of worms for you guys. Well let me tell you right now, you are wrong.
I am not sure what light load caryying ability is she is a sailing yacht not a trawler. and for that matter not sure what dysfunctional stern/transom means. She is made for heavy seas therefore the shape of her stern and transom.
So bottom line if you want a extremely safe and sea kindly boat with beautiful classic lines, can throw away the lawn mower and the home theater and you like working on wood and such, I would consider the Alberg 37.
By the way for more info try the International Alberg site at
WWW.Alberg37.org and if you want to read about a couple that lived in an Alberg 37 in the Pacific Northwest there is a book out there called "The Shoe" or something like that. The boat the Shoe is currently in Yachtworld for sale. The book is quite funny and tells you alot about the Alberg.
Thanks for listening,
J
PS. Last Summer I had her in what I clocked at 48 knot winds and it was like butter, which in Lake Michigan can be pure hell.
Blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews