Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2021, 13:41   #16

Boat: Outbound 46
Re: Looking for Advise/Comments on Our Plan

The ACA insurance will likely be worthless if you go beyond the US borders, and maybe even if you cross state lines. You have to look at individual policies, but most offers are pretty thin if you aren't in-network, and networks are geographically pretty limited. You could look at international policies like DAN as a possible alternative.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 14:52   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liming II View Post
Hello Everyone,

We are looking for some advise/comments on our future cruising plans:

- Couple 54 (M) 49 (F)
- Plan on retiring in March of 2022
- Experienced power boaters 30+ years
- Limited sailing experience ASA 101, 102, 104, 114 2 years ago. Little experience since
- Looking for a 38-44 foot catamaran, will need to finance a portion
- Put the boat on the hard until retirement
- Hire a captain to work with us for a week or so when we move aboard
- Boat budget $300K
- Annual budget for living $75K-&100K
- Take advantage of ACA for health insurance until Medicare
- Spend 1-2 years cruising the East Coast to become more proficient sailors
- Cruise to the Bahamas and possibly the Caribbean for 5-6 years
- Return to the US and do the Great Loop

Following that no firm plans.

In everyones opinion does this plan make sense and is it doable. I'd love to hear from those of you who have traveled a similar path.

Thanks for your comments,

Mike
Imho, the biggest void in your plans is your lack of sea time on a sailboat. Someone above suggested your first doing the loop in a motor boat. This would build on your 30 yrs. of boating experience. Also, what lies ahead of you is that the ocean is qualitatively different from fresh water, even the shapes of the waves is different. Your knowledge of navigation and pilotage will help you. Your abilities with engine maintenance, likewise.

In the meantime, volunteer as sailors on boats at the closest club to you, and see how you feel about heeling--we know you like being on the water, but people vary considerably in how their bodies interact with boat motion. Here at CF, there are some very enthusiastic catamaran owners, and also some who think the monohull experience is better. [warning: each side sometimes gets into slanging the other.] However, especially in the ocean, the two types of boats behave differently. You need experience in both to make the decision, between the categories, because they have different virtues, and appeal to one's spirit differently. I have sailed on both, and prefer mono motion, because it is a bit slower and less jerky; but more than that, the mono makes me feel more with nature, whereas the catamaran motion, sitting on the water rather than in it is a very different experience. If you get to sail on each before you decide to buy, you will make your decision for yourselves, rather than based on partisan opinion.

Ann
Old 07-01-2021, 15:01   #18

Boat: 2007 Lagoon 440 OV

Thank you for all the great feedback, we have a lot to think about. I agree, buying a boat to store it does not make much sense. As was said, boats are selling fast now due to the pandemic. We are just starting to look now and in a perfect world we would make a purchase sometime around this time next year (we retire in March of 22) and would be ready to move onto the boat in March. Ideally, we want to make the purchase while still employed to make the financing easier. Timing may be difficult, but I think we can manage our way thru it.

Regarding the ACA, we have friends who just retired and are doing the loop. They were able to get an ACA policy in Wisconsin and purchased a rider that covers them for hospitalization and serious circumstances throughout the country. For routine care they would need to come back to Wisconsin.

Thank you all for your help and advise,

Mike
Liming II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 21:13   #19

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liming II View Post
Hello Everyone,

We are looking for some advise/comments on our future cruising plans:

- Couple 54 (M) 49 (F)
- Plan on retiring in March of 2022
- Experienced power boaters 30+ years
- Limited sailing experience ASA 101, 102, 104, 114 2 years ago. Little experience since
- Looking for a 38-44 foot catamaran, will need to finance a portion
- Put the boat on the hard until retirement
- Hire a captain to work with us for a week or so when we move aboard
- Boat budget $300K
- Annual budget for living $75K-&100K
- Take advantage of ACA for health insurance until Medicare
- Spend 1-2 years cruising the East Coast to become more proficient sailors
- Cruise to the Bahamas and possibly the Caribbean for 5-6 years
- Return to the US and do the Great Loop

Following that no firm plans.

In everyones opinion does this plan make sense and is it doable. I'd love to hear from those of you who have traveled a similar path.

Thanks for your comments,

Mike
While your budgets are generous, I wouldn't be buying a boat right now if all you're going to do is put it on the hard. In fact I wouldn't buy a boat at all right now until there's someplace to go what with all the Covid lockdowns. Maybe use this time to search for that screaming deal that would merit buying something this big you'll have to store for awhile before you can use it. As others have said, it seems to be a sellers' market right now - especially on cruising cats. A lot of buyers are buying boats as an escape pod in case this pandemic worsens and they don't realize that it would take a fairly sophisticated set up to go completely offshore - most vegies won't grow in salt air. Living completely off the grid is a romantic idea but not really practical for a number of reasons. It sounds like you already have the perfect boat to do the loop as it's mostly motoring and you don't need to worry about bridge clearances.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 22:38   #20

Agree with most of the above regarding timing. Keeping it in the Great Lakes area and sailing in summer weekends would make more sense, that way by the time you retire you would have a good feel for the boat. Keep it on the hard in winter. Then drop the mast and go down the river to the Gulf, put the mast back up and sail to FL and beyond. If you buy it on the east coast and you do not have the time, get a delivery skipper to bring it up to NY, then drop the mast. You might then take a month off to motor up the canals to the Lakes. Timing obviously season dependent. A number of sailing cats have done the loop, largest I know of was an Orana 44.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men