Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2013, 08:28   #16

Re: Liveaboard in Los Angeles Help!

In Marina del Rey, for example, Marina Harbor allows liveaboards, though the minimum boat size is 40' with the LA County approved "Live Aboard Sticker". Rents on a 40' boat are $1000/month and they charge an additional 50%/month (~$500) for liveaboards. I don't think you are going to find legal liveaboard in MDR - the place has become so anti-boating, with all the redevelopment, eliminating small-boat slips....

Per the county regulations, they allow 3 days/week liveaboard:
Quote:
Liveaboards in Marina del Rey must comply with County Code 19.12.1110, which prohibits a person from using a vessel as an abode in excess of three days within any one-week period, unless authorized by the dockmaster where the boat is anchored, and issued a liveaboard permit by the Harbor master at the L.A. County Sheriff Department. It is completely within the discretion of the local dockmaster as to if and whether a liveaboard situation will be authorized in any particular marina.

A permit will only be issued by the L.A. County Sheriff Department Harbormaster upon compliance with the following: (1) compliance with the requirements of seaworthiness as described in County Code 19.12.1060; (2) installation of a federally approved marina sanitation device of self-contained portable toilet approved by the Harbor Master. Liveaboard permits are valid for a period of one year. (3) proof of authorization by the dockmaster.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 09:04   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTREY View Post
I just spent 90 days kicking around this area on my new/used Newport 72. Screw freaking California, I almost lost my life trying to get to the bay. I just got a new boat on the bay and i am leaving Califu**cku for good next week.
A Newport 72! Wow. Is that a stretch version of the Newport 41?

Sorry to hear you almost lost your life trying to get to the bay. California sailing is not for the weak or faint of heart.
Old 22-04-2013, 09:32   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

newport 72 in the bay in kalifornikatia..hhmmm..sounds like lot of souls...many bays..i think kali has more than one bay... would love to see pix of the newport 72....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard