Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 22:24   #1

Liveaboard in Lake Travis?

I posted earlier about possibly living in Houston and living aboard in the Clear Lake area (which is still in the picture) but now the possibility of getting a job in Austin is becoming a stronger possibility.

Do any of you all know if Lake Travis is a good place to live aboard and if marinas charge decent rates for electricity, internet, etc? I have only been out on the lake once in my life and that was on a party barge .
baylorbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 11:59   #2

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Re: Liveaboard in Lake Travis?

There are many who live aboard in Lake Travis. Commanders Point, Marshall Ford and Sail and Ski Marinas have facilities like showers to support this behavior. I do not know if they condone it.

Highland lakes Marina, my favorite doesn't have hot showers and they are a long way from the docks at low water, and even perhaps high water.
Old 25-03-2016, 06:08   #3

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Liveaboard in Lake Travis?

Beautiful place Austin.
I am a graduate of UT and back in the day did a lot of sailing on Lake Travis. Was a member of the Austin Yacht Club and they have continued to improve the club so you may want to check their bylaws and see if you could live on your boat there. I have known Yacht Clubs that will look the other way when members "spend a lot of time on their boats".
Just be aware that living on Lake Travis and working in Austin proper may necessitate a lot of driving in a tremendous amount of traffic. Ironically the traffic I was in there a few months ago reminded me of the nightmares of when I use to work in Manhattan.
If the traffic doesn't scare you then I am sure you will love your environment whatever marina you choose.
Wishing you good luck and times.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard