Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 05:41   #1

Boat: Thinking
Live-Aboard Outboard Cat

Hello,

I would like to ask for help, ideas or discussion of my idea of a live-aboard for retirement in a few years Queensland Australia.

I would be best described as a landlubber with with some interrupted boating experience over time some forgotten some never will. Small amount of river sailing as crew to make up numbers on trailer sailor. Then occasional power boat weekend Island trips along with small recreation fishing and a and lot of dingy stuff pulling pots/nets(all over 20y ago). Have recreation boat licence completed some maritime courses back then. Currently enrolled online Nautical Navigation course.

Plan to be north for winter south for summer away from cyclones. Cringing around Queensland coast mostly inshore exploring creeks rivers & estuaries with the ability to sit dry, not in any hurry but not completly beholding to wind direction. POWER CAT low fuel economy big enough for solo agile bloke to live aboard but not to big to handle. Dont want spend time in mariners only for fuel, supply and out find a creek and settle in for a bit explore the area.

Liking the outboard idea for all the obvious reasons untill scrolling through another unrelated thread that caught my eye that a following sea may swamp outboards.
Is this likely and are there ways minimize/avoid it ? like if these cats designed for outboards do they compinsate in some manner breath differently air intake ? 20knot speed keeps you away from following sea ?

Search to date has lead me to these outboard power cats.

Roger Hill Displacement Design Hull

https://www.boatsales.com.au/editori...ent-cat-18519/
Unable to find any for sale second hand

Jeff Schoinning Displacement design

https://boatmags.com/boat-review-prowler-10-8/

There is 2 or 3 of this older smaller second hand for sale $100K - $150K

To my mind long term option is power not having much sail experience and how body agility will hold out ?

Would love the option of both worlds like Motor-Sailor but they are really Sailor-Motor. Sail being the primary propulsion design which comes mostly deeper draught design and or keels ?

There is so much to get my head around settling on correct type then there is provisioning perishables, fuel & water. What will be my address ?

Hope this appropriate and thank full of any thoughts.

Regards George
ahoy66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard