Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2015, 15:09   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: keys. July threw January

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMonstrEd View Post
By th wy mst ppl cn rd th mssg wthut ny cnsnnt vwls nd stl mk snse f t
There, fixed it for you
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 15:17   #17

Boat: Triangle 32, center-cockpit ketch

Hmm... Channeling my inner English teacher - "July threw January" where? Or did you mean to write "July through January"?
kjdavie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 23:47   #18

wow, now i remember why i don't like to post here
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:04   #19
cruiser

Boat: San Juan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
If your going to correct someone's corrections ....
Homonyms that sound different....dry a tear, tear some paper, boat bow, bow tie, lead keel, lead a horse to water but...
.... and for virtually every one: IT'S NOT "YOUR" UNLESS IT ACTUALLY BELONGS TO YOU! OTHERWISE, IT'S "YOU'RE", THE CONTRACTION FOR "YOU ARE". Hate to be a grammar Nasi, but you guys are making it hard to maintain that sailors are the most intelligent of sportsmen Seriously, it's difficult to follow much of what is written here. How one handles written communication reflects their consideration for their intended reader and impacts the readers' perception of the writer. Let the crap storm begin...
TanzerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:12   #20

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47
Re: Keys - July thru January

Finding a slip with electricity will make your life SO much more pleasant. You will not only avoid dinghy landing issues but you can also power an AIR CONDITIONER. It gets unbearable on many nights down here in the Summer - even on the water. You can deal with the bugs fairly effectively with screens. And if you're "on the ball" you have to have an effective battery-charging discipline to run fans. Your boat WILL be better off on a mooring in the event of a hurricane but hurricanes are a possibility. Scorching nights and bugs are guaranteed.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman7225 View Post
If I recall correctly Little Shark River in the glades and considered a hurricane hole is about 15'.
I've anchored in Little Shark River before. You could do a lot worse for a hurricane hole. I think I would feel pretty good wedged up in some little nook and tied off there.
Old 10-05-2015, 14:20   #22

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by F51 View Post
In Marathon go to Coco Plum (about MM 54). Go down Coco Plum to Avenue I. There are 10-12 slips there managed by Emil Swaiden. It is a great hurricane hole as there are mangroves all around to break the wind. No worries about finding a dinghy dock. Electricity, water, showers and toilet facilities. Great friendly neighbors. Parking for one car and a trailer. We were there 18mos and loved it. I don't have Emil's phone, but it is posted at the boat launch ramp.

And as for threw or through, who cares? We all new what he mint. :-)
Just bought a Tayana 37 (5'8" draft) in Key Largo and was planning on going North but would love to stay in the Keys. How long ago did you stay in Coco Plum? What was the cost then? I would imagine the cost goes up considerably in season? Hope you don't mind sharing your knowledge. And will the area be ok with my draft?
Thanks for any help.
Ken
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 16:08   #23
F51

We left Avenue I in late December. We draw 6' and would bottom on some new moon low tides, but it is mud and not a real problem. Electricity is individually metered and with our two 16k BTU air conditioners, we never paid more than $150 a month for electricity. Usually much less outside of July, August, and September. Slip was $575 /mo year-round.
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 16:37   #24

Boat: Tayana 37

Thank you
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 18:15   #25

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Not sure what a grammar Nasi is. i know what is colloquially referred to as a grammar Nazi. But their trains ran on time.

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 10-05-2015, 21:10   #26

Boat: Canadian Sailcraft 27

wow! WOW! Thank you to the people that actually replied to my question. For the English teachers that have nothing better to to do but troll forums and put people down for things as stupid as a few grammar errors... get a cat or learn to play an instrument or take up yoga. If you cant figure out what i was trying to say, dont reply! Also, not that it matters but, I am extremely dyslectic. I have a hard time communicating anything written. So thank you for giving me crap about something that I am already very sensitive about. Thanks again to you fine humans that have given me real answers. You have been a big help.
jsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:56   #27

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I've anchored in Little Shark River before. You could do a lot worse for a hurricane hole. I think I would feel pretty good wedged up in some little nook and tied off there.
Weren't the insects unreal? We've anchored 1/2 mile outside of lsr and still been swarmed on a breezy night and had to the genny and ac dance.
Also id like to hear from someone who has been there during a hurricane. Did you have to crawl thru the smaller mangroves to teach the bigger ones to tie to or are the large ones right near the water

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:03   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

". What do people with boats in the keys do in the event of a hurricane?"
Ergh....Drown? Camp out on US1 until it reopens and they can get to the mainland?

You might have an insurance issue, as hurricane season starts on June 1, and some insurers will want you gone before then. Or at least, to have a hurricane plan and location.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 03:23   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Weren't the insects unreal? We've anchored 1/2 mile outside of lsr and still been swarmed on a breezy night and had to the genny and ac dance.
Also id like to hear from someone who has been there during a hurricane. Did you have to crawl thru the smaller mangroves to teach the bigger ones to tie to or are the large ones right near the water

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I have to admit, we just cranked up the generator, turned on the AC, and shut all of the hatches when we anchored there.

Shark River wouldn't be my hurricane plan, but I would rather be there for one and a direct hit, than any place I can think of in the Keys, including Marathon. With lots of line, I feel pretty good tied off in one of the little offshoot bayous/creeks, streams (or whatever they call those in Florida, I forget, I moved away in 2004.).
Old 13-05-2015, 04:00   #30

Boat: Pearson 365

We absolutely got tore up by mosquitoes in Homestead (Sept/Oct). Boca Chita across Biscayne Bay had the worse Mosquitoes I've seen since in my childhood in the marshes of Louisiana. The gnatts (flying teeth, no-seeums) were horrible as well, and they went through our screens. However, when we traveled south to the keys, all the bugs went away. We heard that they would and sure enough it was true. The keys are cooler than you think. I would be plugged up to an A/C though anywhere. Dont even think your going to escape the heat in GA, SC, NC. Its just as hot there, maybe hotter (no sea breeze). Again, the bugs up there are horrible. The only way to beat the heat is mooring very close to the ocean to get that breeze, but then you put yourself in harms way of a storm. I like NC because you can stay on the coast say in Moorehead city/Beaufort with the afternoon breeze, then if a hurricane comes run in land a few miles to Newbern. On the flipside, Newbern got tore up by Hurricane Floyd. The Keys seem like a pretty good place year round. Just ask the locals there, they love it, even in the summer.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote