Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2009, 08:52   #31
Marine Service Provider

Well, what do you know. I guess dealing with the courts is the same as dealing with DMV. It's all about the individual person who helps you.

I finally cracked down, called the number, and told them I don't live in the county, and it's just my mailing address. I was all set to explain that I may be out cruising, that I can give them my current address, but I'm going to be moving in just a little over a month, and that I don't have an address for where I'll be moving (not 100% about the marina yet).

They didn't want any of that. Don't live in the county, excused, no need to send paperwork in. Wow!
Old 24-10-2009, 02:05   #32

unsure of how to unregister to vote but i do know that by law they have to pick the jury pool by the registered voters.
Old 24-10-2009, 12:06   #33
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
In Florida, they use drivers' licenses and ID cards issued by DMV to select potential jury members, not voter registrations.
Old 24-10-2009, 21:35   #34

did some research most states use voter registration some use dmv.

A law passed in 2005 allows courts to use driver registrations when making the random selection of potential jurors, but courts largely ignore that option.
courts tried using used driver's lists more than two decades ago. that method tended to reduce the number of lower-income people in jury pools.

but you can also get out of jury duty for religious reasons.

people who are opposed to passing judgment on others because of religious reasons or personal beliefs dont have to serve jury duty courts can excuse people from jury duty for those reasons.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:38   #35

Boat: Aries 32
A law passed in 2005

Do you have a citation, or did you just make that up? Alaska uses Permanent Fund applications. As far as I know, it's left up to individual jurisdictions to form jury pools in any way they see fit.
Old 11-05-2010, 13:03   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
if they pick the jury pool by registered voters then why do they keep pickin gme to serve--i havent registered to vote since 1993, but i DO have a driers license.......lol....when i was working they didnt bother jme---as an emergency room an icu rn, they wanted no part of me--now i am a disabled rn--prolly the same--i have only had to fone in so far--i think june 7th i will mebbe have to go to the courthouse and sit on my broken arse fora long time until they decide my assitude isnt gonna work--hang 'em all---wtf!!!! (gotta love a system that caters to the criminal!)
Old 11-05-2010, 17:23   #37

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post

And well, yes it's annoying that I get a notices constantly, as soon as the time restriction is up, while other people, even in this thread have said they never get called.
No wonder you are trying to get out of there.

There seems to be too many criminal cases out there.

One that an old friend of mine told me that I kind of liked was, "If you don't attend to the jury duty then you are not allowed to call 911."

PS It ain't fun for me either. I told the judge that I work on call 24/7 and there is no one that covers for me. She didn't care..........
Old 11-05-2010, 17:43   #38
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
look at it this way; having to serve for jury duty beats not being able to because there are no juries...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 12-05-2010, 06:29   #39

I always wanted to serve on a jury, I thought it would be interesting. I finally got called around 1995, but I was in the middle of a nasty custody battle at the time. I told the judge that I'd love to serve but I feared that if I even so much as hired a baby sitter my ex wife would use that against me in court. Haven't been called since.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:41   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
(gotta love a system that caters to the criminal!)
The USA has the highest percentage of its population in jail of any nation (as of 2006 aprox. 1%). So I guess you could say you are literally catering to them.

Old 12-05-2010, 13:49   #41

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
They didn't want any of that. Don't live in the county, excused, no need to send paperwork in. Wow!
Yeah, at least in Florida you have to currently live in the county.

The judge made that clear when I attended jury duty last week.
Old 13-05-2010, 10:51   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway
The USA has the highest percentage of its population in jail of any nation (as of 2006 aprox. 1%).
Actually, that's highest percentage of any of the "industrialized" nations. There are some third-world countries out there with far higher percentages in jail.
Old 13-05-2010, 10:57   #43

Boat: Aries 32
Quote:
There are some third-world countries out there with far higher percentages in jail.
Name one.(I'll give you a hint: There are none.)
Old 13-05-2010, 11:03   #44

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post
Name one.(I'll give you a hint: There are none.)
They don't have jails like we do.

Their criminals are running around in the open. And armed..

OOPS!

Old 13-05-2010, 15:37   #45
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Getting out of jury duty is easy. The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races."

Homer Simpson (American Nuclear Reactor Employee)

TaoJones
Closed Thread