Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2019, 14:51   #1

Insurance question

Please forgive me in advance if I posted this in the wrong thread but I thought you liveaboards would have the best intel on such as it is my desire to join your ranks someday soon as a liveaboard myself so here goes.

My wife and I, just like all of you have a love of anything sailboat and the possibilities that come with. Based on our research, we really believe we would be happiest with an Island Packet 38.

The year models we have been shopping have been anywhere from 1990 and newer into the 2000s and price ranges within our budget up to 150k. SO...I called to inquire about insurance and so far coming up with sorry, but no, too old.

Where do you get insurance for the older boats, say boats over 20 to 25 years old?... AND...it's affordable given my experience level? All of my sailing experience has been on lakes and the only saltwater experience I have is coastal with motorboats we've rented while on vacations. I have no ASA or USCG certifications. I have to believe that there are more than a few of you that have walked down such a path.

I thank you in advance for your input and replies.
Max Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 15:31   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Insurance question

Perhaps buy a smaller, cheaper boat, like a Catalina 30, live on it, sail and learn and be self insured until you get the big, expensive boat.
Old 25-02-2019, 15:41   #3

Boat: Islander 36

BoatUS can get you set up my boat is a 1957 Islander 36 with full coverage and yes I am a liveaboard. BoatUS uses Geico but there are more insurance companies out there. Another thing you can try is to go to a boat show there will be plenty of insurance carriers just waiting to take your $$$.
Best of luck Island packets are really nice.
ibsurfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 15:49   #4

I'm not sure I understand your reply CSY man...insurance was not being denied because of my lack of experience but I do expect that to be a factor for this caliber of boat. Insurance was denied because of the AGE of the boat. I never got to the part to speak about my experience level of sailing the big expensive boat or lack thereof...IOW, if I had 35 years as a skipper on big expensive boats, it would not have mattered.

Somewhere out there, I would think one could insure a boat like this, that is what I am asking is, where, with whom do you recommend?

I've been in aviation for over 35 years. Used to be an aircraft broker. Experience is always a factor for insurance piloting an aircraft and insurance for aircraft regardless of their age is attainable. I was puzzled to find out today that the age of sailing vessel matters with regards to being able to get insurance at all...
Old 25-02-2019, 15:51   #5

I will check with Boat US...thank you ibsurfun
Old 25-02-2019, 16:01   #6

sorry, my bad I fat fingered I have a 1975 Islander 36.
Old 25-02-2019, 16:02   #7

Here is a link
https://www.boatus.com/insurance-quo...EaAqubEALw_wcB
Old 27-02-2019, 23:45   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Lambert View Post
P SO...I called to inquire about insurance and so far coming up with sorry, but no, too old..
I take it that you have not called IMIS yet then? No problem with insuring 20+ year old good quality boats like Island Packets. The issue you may have, however, depending on your itinerary, is your experience owning & operating a similar sized boat. (although having your pilot's license is a plus) I'd highly recommend doing some crewing on other folk's boats, for two reasons: 1) to be sure that the boat you've picked out is the right one for you and 2) To build up your boating resume when it comes time to get coverage for your own boat.
Old 28-02-2019, 05:18   #9

Susan,

Very helpful and thank you, really appreciate your reply.

Not familiar with IMIS and will look into it.

Your suggestion for additional experience is an awesome one and I have taken steps to do just that but opportunities for such where I live presently are far and few between. I have also inquired about some ASA courses at a local sailing club. They have sailboats of the same caliber of the sailboat I previously owned so sailing on something larger isn't an option there but the Academics being offered for such courses will be helpful and useful. Having been a pilot for over 30 years, flying all over the world, I know academics only take you so far and at some point, you have to have some hands-on experience as you suggest.

I have also contacted my local boat broker, the one who I purchased my previously owned sailboat through inquiring how I might get some experience on a larger boat to satisfy an insurance company when the time comes. So far, I was able to assist him in moving a 38 foot Catalina from one marina to the next on our local lake spending about an hour doing such on a day with a good amount of wind and I got to spend some time at the helm. Lake sailing, in my opinion, is not a substitute for what I have encountered renting power boats in a coastal setting. Docking on a windy day and a current to boot is a challenge. Anchoring for extended periods with tidal changes brings considerations as well I know.

In order to get some more experience, I have recently rented a 38-foot monohull in the BVI's. Hopefully, this will make a difference as well.

Thanks again Susan...

Tags
insurance