Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2011, 10:04   #46

Boat: Islander 36
Re: How Do You Get Around when You Get There ?

if you're provisioning in a spot with dirt roads then I'm thinking that major provisioning should have taken place in a spot with better provisions to choose from. It's easy to get caught up in the "worst case scenario" thought process. But when it comes to convenience, better to go with most common scenario. I sold my pair of beautiful folding bikes because they just didn't fit my style. Bulky, always wondering if they would be there when I came out of the store, difficult to transport in the dink.... The folding motorcycle was even worse.

The scooters get carried inside the store, can go easily on the bus or taxi, transport in the dink way easy and are nothing to store aboard. And so far they are addictive to anybody who wants to try them. I'm a twelve year old with graying hair.
Old 22-08-2011, 10:55   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

On bikes: a small trolly that can be both 'walked' and pulled behind the bike is a nicetohave.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 15:37   #48

Although we have room for our scooter (that sometimes comes with us, especially if we know there's a ferrying service), we always take our bikes and "modified" folding dock cart for dirt based transportation.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 23:58   #49

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

A thing that I thought about some years ago was to look into a quad ATV and use it in lieu of a dink - the big balloon tires keeping it afloat. I was thinking that if they had a rear power take off, one could fit a propeller instead of just using the tires for better water propulsion. The ATV could be paired with a trailer that it would fit into - the trailer having retractible wheels like those on dinks for beaching and designed for easy towing both in the water and on land. One would then put the ATV in the trailer to hoist on the davits. One could then swim it ashore towing the trailer in 'barge' mode, put the wheels down and go shopping. If sight seeing, then just take the ATV.

Here in the Philippines most small roads are terrible and I would not want to use a bike on them, using them on any kind of paved road is very dangerous (I bought a mountain bike and it was OK for small roads that didn't get much truck/bus traffic - but still not very safe. I haven't used it in some years now). 'Public' transportation that the locals use is both cheap and relatively frequent (except when it rains - rain seems to melt taxis). One can pay to ride on/in pedal trikes; motorized trikes - a small scooter with a large covered sidecar, 'seats' six and there is a luggage rack(s); motorcycles with rear extended seats for multiple passengers; multi-cabs; jeepneys, taxis, and buses of various sizes. All of these can be flagged down to pick you and your packages up, and will let you off anywhere you stop them. The fares are often less than a dollar for short trips. This is probably typical of other third world locations - one just has to believe that most passengers get to their destination unharmed most of the time (although it is not encouraging to see the locals 'cross' themselves every time then enter a conveyance).

Note that walking may not be safe either as third world drivers typically do not follow any rules. Sidewalks are often used for parking and as part of stores or cafes - and if not, cars and especially motorcycles often drive on them (a bigger vehicle having the 'might' of way).
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 05:34   #50

WOW! And I thought I was being unreasonable wanting my motorcycle, but then Bruce, I see you have a 43' cat, so you might take almost anything you like!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 08:46   #51

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

"I see you have a 43' cat, so you might take almost anything you like" ==> Perhaps, but the 'anything' is a 12' fiberglass covered wood dink that has a hole for a cat-boat located mast and another hole for a centerboard, a mounting for a tiller/rudder and a cut away for a small outboard. The builder built the dink to fit the boat and he says it will be easy to hoist it on the davits (I hope he is right). Now all I have to do is figure out how to build a rig out of bamboo and some kind of tarp. People here have mostly never seen a sailboat and there is no supply chain or used sailboat stuff. Of course, I have never sailed a cat rigged boat - I relearned sailing on a Lido 14 (of course I have never sailed a catamaran either, just a Shields). I am expecting a steep and interesting learning curve.

Curiously the boat seems much bigger now that it is in the water than it did in the yard. I see now why they are called party boats - the covered cockpit alone seems to be able to comfortably seat forty people (ten along each side) with room for a table in the center. Everyone kept saying how small boats are, but the size of this catamaran makes me a tad nervous at the moment.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 05:53   #52

Boat: Lipari 41

How ever you decide to get around, I would suggest you get a 'Nuvi' or something like it...we have found that folks that spend all of their time in a car have no idea how far the grocery store is....it also shows what's available and contact info...have fun....
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15   #53

A "Nuvi"? What's that? I have led a sheltered life ya know.

Haven't heard anyone mentioned motorized roller skates yet.....

Bruce, good luck with your learning curve....

While I can't get it now, I did see an old patrol boat that was converted as a live abord and it had at least 15 feet on the rear deck/cockpit, so I guess there is hope for my needs after all.
Old 06-09-2011, 13:45   #54
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Hammacher Schlemmer has a dear little miniature bike but it's pricey at almost $2K. Keep in mind too that bikes have endless rusty bits. Lots of care needed in salt air. My folding bike from Camping World was about $200 and is easiest riding bike ever. 6 speeds. With sturdy backpack and two saddle bags I have provisioned boat for six months by hauling it all on a bike, little by little. You mentioned ICW so a lot depends on whether you stay at marinas that are on bus lines. Many are. Some cities also going to Bixi, which is a grab-a-bike, leave-it-there program. Costs little, very convenient.
Old 06-09-2011, 14:08   #55

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930

Tongue-in-cheek, but perhaps you need one of these ...

and, of course, a slightly bigger boat to carry it on!

http://www.sealegs.com/commercial-6-1-rib

roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 17:25   #56

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Pedi-cabs, tuk-tuks, rickshaws, chicken bus, whatever is on hand. Instead of the price of some of the previous solutions you could spend (trying very hard) a lifetime hiring someone else in the third and fourth world - and still may never catch up...
(I once took the "chicken plane" - a Twin Otter DeHaviland - out of Namshe Bazaar in Nepal back when the runway was unpaved and shorter; now it has aspired to become the most dangerous airport in the world, don't know what it was back in 1980. Honestly, the Nepalese were carrying chickens (and other animals) to market in Katmandu. But I digress...)

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:04   #57

Wow Janet, they arrest people who grab bikes here...but that sounds like a great arrangement, I assume they are painted some wild indentifying color so someone doesn't lose their bike.

Airports won't be a problem sine I'm hanging around the states....I think, never know.

That RIB looks as if it's another ultimate toy for police and industries. I thought initially of using a motorcycle fork to raise and lower wheels between pontoons with a front wheel being the driven and steering wheel....have you ever seen a one wheel trailer?

But it looks like the best way to get around in the immediate area is a bike or public transportation. For longer trips it looks like it would be to rent a car...
Old 30-10-2011, 10:55   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Bike Friday - Custom folding and travel bicycles hand-crafted in Oregon

If you like to ride bikes, you can't beat a Bike Friday. The step through frame makes it really easy to use the bike. It rides so well that I actually prefer it to either of my full size bikes. I wouldn't hesitate to take mine on a 100 mile ride if I was in shape to do it. They make a bunch of different variations from Greg LeMond wantabe racing type to a mountain bike.

I've got a New World Tourist (NWT) with 27 speed gearing. Feel it's the best compromise for riding ease with the ability to handle poor road conditions with the ability to make time in good condtions. With front and rear racks and panniers it can be set up for serious touring or carrying a shopping cart full of provisions back to the boat. It packs into a suitcase so it can be taken as luggage on an airline and not have to pay the outrageous fee they charge for a full sized bicycle. The suitcase can be made into a trailer for carrying some really large bulky items or travel from the airport. No more rental car bills or taxi fares.

Even though it folds, it rides like a full sized bike and the touring gearing means there is a gear for almost any conditions, even my not so great condition. I store the bike in the suitcase for passages. At anchor, Keep it folded in a bag to transport back and forth in the dinghy or store on deck.

The bike is a quick fold into the canvas bag. Just pop off the frontwheel, fold the seatpost and you've got a package you can sling over your shoulder or easily stow in the dinghy. It takes a bit of time to break it down to fit in the suitcase. If you want a quick folder, they make a bike called the Tikit that is designed as a commuter bike for instant folding and carrying on public transport.

Price is not cheap but bike has more than paid for itself in a couple of years of long distance commuter boat ownership and a sail to Hawaii in savings in rental cars.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 11:14   #59

Nice bike! Perfect size and I like th step through also. It's amazing how handy a bike that size can be. Nothing like the breeze on your face and moving along on a hot humid day as opposed to a long hot walk.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 18:54   #60

I have been cruising the Great Lakes all summer. I carry a West Marine Folder, (cheap), a full size mountain bike and a Bike Friday foldable. On my bow sprit, I keep a Bob one wheeled bike trailer to tow behind the bikes. I can carry provisions or a Jerry jug of diesel or water. It has really worked well either while at anchor or in a marina.
Frank
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote