Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2005, 17:37   #1

Have a question.

Hi,
I seen a houseboat that I'm very interested in buying BUT being the end of the season and also other debts at this time I don't want to buy her until early spring. How would one go about talking with the seller about buying her - Deposit? I haven't ran the boat; looked at it several times inside and out. in the hull area and roof... Looks quite doable for a nice livaboard for the two of us. Basically looking at something to "try" the livaboard style before forking over a huge amount of money in four or five years for a newer, nicer, maybe larger bluewater vessel to travel the high seas.... How would one go about asking the owner/ consignment marina to "hold" her until March? Not that it's much of a chance of selling her now in late September in Illinois... Any advice would be appreciated. Has anyone dealt with this kind of situation before and if you did, how did you handle it?

thanks,
jimini®
jimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 19:15   #2
Kai Nui

Depends on how motivated the seller is, and how much you can afford to risk if you want to back out next spring. A bird in the hand goes a long way. My philosophy for what it's worth, is make an offer, no matter how absurd. If it is meant to happen, it will, and if it does not happen, there is a better deal just waiting around the corner.
If you are not sure you want to take the plunge, you might offer a lease option. You will save the current owner the slip fees, get to try the boat for the cost of a rental, and have all that rent money go towards the purchase. And if you want to back out, no one is out anymore than the cost of the use.
Old 27-09-2005, 04:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Try searching "rent to own", and look for typical aggreements & contract terms etc

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:22   #4

Boat: C&C, Crusader 40 Yellow Bird
Good advice all.
I would add;Get a pro to inspect the boat (surveyor) as one of your terms;

Tell your boat broker (if you have one) exactly what you wish to do, and let him communicate with the seller or if no *broker,
It works the same Buyer dealing with Seller.
Simply decide in advance, what your limits are, stick to them and don't be swayed by the sales talk.

For me, I usually have 3 prices (including set of terms) in mind and hold them close to my vest (like poker).

1st offer/price/terms the seller would be near crazy to accept. (and I would probably buy it, even if I didn't need it)

2nd offer/price/terms is what I am ok to pay, and would feel certainly meets my requirements.

3rd offer/price/terms is the most I will pay regardless how much I love it, and it would only be after much research to ensure I have explored the first two offer/price/terms were not acceptable to the seller.

Then walk away and forget it, there will be other boats. After all, you have from now to spring to find another one. The seller only has one boat to sell. As buyer, you have all the strength really, without a buyer, there is no seller, only a wanna be seller.

*Boat brokers don't shoot me!!

Hawk